Edge/Weight Ratios for Wartstein & Other Backpackers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Edge/Weight Ratios for Wartstein & Other Backpackers

Post by Bolster »

In another thread Wartstein said:
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:41 pm
But I am always a bit confused by the BLADE to weight comparisons... I think more important would be CUTTING EDGE to weight...?
Here is a collection (not comprehensive) of lightweight Spyderco knives graphed Edge Length by Weight. Those which give the most edge for their weight are labeled. (Note this is a different graphic than the blade-length/weight chart I posted previously.)
Attachments
Edge2Weight.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Edge/Weight Ratios for Wartstein & Other Backpackers

Post by Doc Dan »

on the fixed blades, does that include the weight of the sheath? That has to be taken into consideration.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Backpacker / UL bicycle tourist here - I don't need a blade / weight ratio superior to the Pacific Salt H1 for my uses. The 2.5oz FFG version is luxury.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

A cheap pizza cutter has a pretty good edge to weight ratio.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^^^ He's not wrong!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

I'm pretty sure the Pacific Salt II FFG is the standout Spyderco folder for edge length vs weight.

Before the LC200 FFG came out, I swapped a Pac Salt II H1 blade (beautiful but heavy) and the lighter FFG VG10 blade in an Endura (heavier than the Pac Salt II due to the liners). The VG10 blade in the linerless Pac Salt II weighs 2 3/8 ounces on my scales and is my EDC.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Does the graph above include the length that SE adds to an edge? If not, there may be a misrepresentation here.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am
Does the graph above include the length that SE adds to an edge? If not, there may be a misrepresentation here.

For edge length, I used Spyderco's official misrepresentation as per their website.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:50 pm
on the fixed blades, does that include the weight of the sheath? That has to be taken into consideration.

No, and for the reason that UL backpackers use a variety of ways to protect/carry their knives. For example, I don't use the sheath my BP knife came with, I use a simple slide-on blade protector, 0.4 oz. That's a lot lighter than the sheath it came with. I can't guess how a person chooses to sheath a fixed edge, but the reader may simply move any particular "diamond" the additional ounces to account for a particular sheath/carry option.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 pm
In another thread Wartstein said:
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:41 pm
But I am always a bit confused by the BLADE to weight comparisons... I think more important would be CUTTING EDGE to weight...?
Here is a collection (not comprehensive) of lightweight Spyderco knives graphed Edge Length by Weight. Those which give the most edge for their weight are labeled. (Note this is a different graphic than the blade-length/weight chart I posted previously.)

Thanks for posting this, mate, very interesting!
It´s not as if edge length is all that counts in order to size-classify a folder. But for me it is more important than the more often mentioned BLADE length
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:20 am
As much as I prefer SE:
While it certainly effectively DOES add edge length, and in useful ways (for example more edge to dull, contributes to the better edge retention of SE) - it is still not the same as a longer edge like in straight distance from start of the edge to the tip.
Especially when having to cut wider items, where it matters how much actual distance the edge can span, the effectively longer edge of SE is of no real advantage anymore.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)