GP Knives Exclusive Para 3 LW: Rex45, White FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnifusMaximus

Re: GP Knives Exclusive Para 3 LW: Rex45, White FRN

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Chuck James wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:24 pm
The blade looks great...can't say much for the rest of it...except cheap, flimsy FRN. :disappointed
I've been carrying my Para 3 LW BD1N every day since the day they first came out 2 years ago. There is nothing flimsy about the FRN.... You must be confused with a different material.. Or, you are just here to troll...
Ric

Post by Ric »

Any experience with white knives here?

My Para 3 cruwear had light gray scales.
The got dirty after 1 day of carry.
I expect the white ones are worse...
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 pm
Fun! Not a Para3 guy but glad to see REX45 again and hope to see some more white knives... Maybe we can see this config on the Sage5 LW?
+1
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ric wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 am
Any experience with white knives here?

My Para 3 cruwear had light gray scales.
The got dirty after 1 day of carry.
I expect the white ones are worse...
A friend of mine at work that also works warehouse duties has the Bugout with the white scales that came out a while ago...it didn't take long for it to get unattractive haha. I'm not sure if he ever tried cleaning them up, but I do imagine FRN could clean up fairly easily. It's just a matter of how OCD you are and how often you'd want to clean it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Lighter colored scales tend to show stains more. White scales are the upper end of showing dirt/grime more easily vs black colors able to hide more. As in most things, there are trade offs. For the light colors you tend to need to perform more maintenance to keep them looking original/good vs darker colors - ie black requires less maintenance, white requires the most.

White does look good though. I carried another makers mini knife in a dlc coated white grivory scaled version for quite some time. Had to wipe it down every now and then, but nothing major. I am not a mechanic, though, so it did not necessarily get exposed to a lot of grease/grime on a daily basis. I no longer carry that knife model, and the reasons for no longer carrying it had nothing to do with the color. I really like the color with the dlc coated blade.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

abbazaba wrote:
Fun! Not a Para3 guy but glad to see REX45 again and hope to see some more white knives... with a natural patina and some dirt it would remind me of my yard duty Cruwear Manix I regret selling. Maybe we can see this config on the Sage5 LW?
YES.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:45 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 pm
Looks like a fantastic opportunity to practice your RIT Dye Recipes!
Yes indeed!
I agree! I've got the date on the calendar. Been thinking about which colors and techniques to use since I saw the post. I don't own a Para 3 LW, but have heard from both side of the fence. I'll make my own decision on how I like the model.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 pm
To me, they both feel like flimsy children's toys :rofl I love the diversity around here!
It does get kind of humorous! Spyderco makes something for everyone, or it seems they try to. One person praises them because they make LW versions of popular models and the next person puts them down because they feel like kids toys. With the Para 3 LW (also Native 5 LW & Manix 2 LW) I can understand why they're not for everyone. Same with the Bugouts. First time I handled one was at the Benchmade booth at the NRA convention in Dallas. It did feel flimsy to me and I decided I wasn't interested. Then they came out with the Mini Bugout and I bought one. It's still a little flimsy in the middle of the handle but it doesn't seem as bad to me. Maybe because the handle's not as long. It's about the weight of the FRN Dragonfly which is nothing. So I really like it but it's another model that's not for everyone
I actually think they did a good job on the Manix lw and Native lw. I think the para 3 lw just needs more screws/metal. I dont mind the squishyness as much as the lack of fasteners. It might not be a bad idea if they riveted it like the Manix lw. Maybe i'll make a post about it later.
"Some call me...Tim?"
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im getting this. I missed out on the previous rex45 para 3 ltwts. I like the white. Its cheap for rex45.

Seems good to me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Paraguy wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:55 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
To me, they both feel like flimsy children's toys :rofl I love the diversity around here!
It does get kind of humorous! Spyderco makes something for everyone, or it seems they try to. One person praises them because they make LW versions of popular models and the next person puts them down because they feel like kids toys. With the Para 3 LW (also Native 5 LW & Manix 2 LW) I can understand why they're not for everyone. Same with the Bugouts. First time I handled one was at the Benchmade booth at the NRA convention in Dallas. It did feel flimsy to me and I decided I wasn't interested. Then they came out with the Mini Bugout and I bought one. It's still a little flimsy in the middle of the handle but it doesn't seem as bad to me. Maybe because the handle's not as long. It's about the weight of the FRN Dragonfly which is nothing. So I really like it but it's another model that's not for everyone
I actually think they did a good job on the Manix lw and Native lw. I think the para 3 lw just needs more screws/metal. I dont mind the squishyness as much as the lack of fasteners. It might not be a bad idea if they riveted it like the Manix lw. Maybe i'll make a post about it later.
I'm not getting the part about needing more screws. I read your post about the two bottom screws falling out of KJ exclusive P3LW. What screws are you referring to? The clip screw(s)? I have 3 P3LWs and I just checked the screws on all of them. They're all tight. I guess it's possible they came that way from Spyderco but are you sure your buddy didn't mess with them? Either way the screws falling out isn't normal.

I also don't really understand the squishiness thing. They're all more rigid than the full-size bugouts I was handling. If I squeeze the Para 3 LW in the center of the handle there's a little give but I have to squeeze really hard to get any movement. It's about the same as the Manix 2 LWs I have sitting here and nothing I would feel in actual use. So it's a non-issue for me. They're LW models. If you go adding a bunch of steel and extra parts they'll no longer be LW models. They'll also be more expensive. Sounds like the LW models aren't for you and you should stick to the G10 models with liners. Problem solved.

I'm on the fence about getting the GP exclusive. I already have Para 3 LWs and I already have REX45 knives. Other than the white handle it's kind of redundant for me. It's still kind of intriguing for me though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 am
Paraguy wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I'm not getting the part about needing more screws. I read your post about the two bottom screws falling out of KJ exclusive P3LW. What screws are you referring to? The clip screw(s)? I have 3 P3LWs and I just checked the screws on all of them. They're all tight. I guess it's possible they came that way from Spyderco but are you sure your buddy didn't mess with them? Either way the screws falling out isn't normal.

I also don't really understand the squishiness thing. They're all more rigid than the full-size bugouts I was handling. If I squeeze the Para 3 LW in the center of the handle there's a little give but I have to squeeze really hard to get any movement. It's about the same as the Manix 2 LWs I have sitting here and nothing I would feel in actual use. So it's a non-issue for me. They're LW models. If you go adding a bunch of steel and extra parts they'll no longer be LW models. They'll also be more expensive. Sounds like the LW models aren't for you and you should stick to the G10 models with liners. Problem solved.

I'm on the fence about getting the GP exclusive. I already have Para 3 LWs and I already have REX45 knives. Other than the white handle it's kind of redundant for me. It's still kind of intriguing for me though
I think the main thrust of the comment is that a little more backspacer material or maybe an extra fastener could have made the P3 LW a bit stiffer and brought the feel up to the level of other LWs.

Weight wise, I'd certainly trade some of that unnecessarily chonky blade stock for a little strategically placed plastic/fastener; maybe a little less skeletonizing of the scales, which seems more aggressive in the P3 than others.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things is squishier than the others.

Hopefully the forthcoming P2 LW, if it winds up being linerless, will have a stiffness and feel more along the lines of the N5 LW.

As for the white Rex45 P3, I assume most everyone who wants one views it as a blank slate and plans on dyeing it?

FRN takes up stains other than just dyes, my lighter colored salts have some dirt stains that don't wipe right off, and that's fine, but I would guess (as others have mentioned) that white is going to start looking kind of dingey pretty quick.
brancron

Post by brancron »

For those who haven’t done so, I tried my hand at Rit dying a few months back and it was so much easier and quicker than I expected.

Blade HQ has a video on it, and lays out a super simple procedure. No need to follow anything more complex. Just make sure to use “synthetic” Rit dye (their DyeMore line) on FRN and G10. Lots of different colors available on Amazon.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:47 am
I think the main thrust of the comment is that a little more backspacer material or maybe an extra fastener could have made the P3 LW a bit stiffer and brought the feel up to the level of other LWs.
Again, I'm not seeing (or feeling) it. You must have arms like The Rock and have a death grip on the knife when you're using it. I can pinch the handle in the middle of a Manix 2 LW and get way more movement than I can with a Para 3 LW. I can do the same with a Native 5 LW too. In all cases I have to pinch really hard in the very center of the handle to get any movement. I don't pinch the knives like that when I use them. So not an issue for me. I guess I just find less to gripe about in things than others. I'm out!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 pm
Chuck James wrote:
The blade looks great...can't say much for the rest of it...except cheap, flimsy FRN. :disappointed
I've been carrying my Para 3 LW BD1N every day since the day they first came out 2 years ago. There is nothing flimsy about the FRN.... You must be confused with a different material.. Or, you are just here to troll...
Just my personal experience with a cheap plastic FRN handle...everyday use for 3 months and it was done. :eye-roll

I've since found out there are some models of FRN that have steel liners. Maybe that would make a difference...maybe not. :thinking
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Chuck James wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:40 am
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 pm
Chuck James wrote:
Just my personal experience with a cheap plastic FRN handle...everyday use for 3 months and it was done. :eye-roll

I've since found out there are some models of FRN that have steel liners. Maybe that would make a difference...maybe not. :thinking
Id recommend you take a look at the sage 5 lw.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I'm 99% certain he didn't mess with the the screws. He's less of an enthusiast and more of a user. He's also pretty hard on his tools. I think what happened was the weed eater banged against his leg and vibrated the strews out.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:26 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:49 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:04 pm
Too bad the para 3 kinda sucks...
I dunno if this user name checks out guys.
Yeah, was a bit perplexed too
Paraguy not ParaLWguy...
I bought the knife joy 20cv exclusive for my friend and the two bottom screws fell out while he was weed eating and were lost in the grass. It's his first Spyderco and it kinda sucks that it had to be his first experience with an otherwise great company. The para 3 lw is kind of flimsy especially compared to the BM Bugout.
For one that puts hard use on a knife...loctite is your friend.

This is why I set the screws on all my spyderco knives with blue or orange loctite, when I receive them.
I've found the tightness of the screws to be unpredictable at best.

Even so, Some Spyderco models make for great work knives!!!
Last edited by Chuck James on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:03 am
Gtscotty wrote:
Again, I'm not seeing (or feeling) it. You must have arms like The Rock and have a death grip on the knife when you're using it. I can pinch the handle in the middle of a Manix 2 LW and get way more movement than I can with a Para 3 LW. I can do the same with a Native 5 LW too. In all cases I have to pinch really hard in the very center of the handle to get any movement. I don't pinch the knives like that when I use them. So not an issue for me. I guess I just find less to gripe about in things than others. I'm out!
z1r

Post by z1r »

abbazaba wrote:
Fun! Not a Para3 guy but glad to see REX45 again and hope to see some more white knives... with a natural patina and some dirt it would remind me of my yard duty Cruwear Manix I regret selling. Maybe we can see this config on the Sage5 LW?
Yeah, similar to my thoughts. I'd be buying mostly for the steel.
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

Weight wise, I'd certainly trade some of that unnecessarily chonky blade stock for a little strategically placed plastic/fastener; maybe a little less skeletonizing of the scales, which seems more aggressive in the P3 than others.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things is squishier than the others.

Hopefully the forthcoming P2 LW, if it winds up being linerless, will have a stiffness and feel more along the lines of the N5 LW.

As for the white Rex45 P3, I assume most everyone who wants one views it as a blank slate and plans on dyeing it?

FRN takes up stains other than just dyes, my lighter colored salts have some dirt stains that don't wipe right off, and that's fine, but I would guess (as others have mentioned) that white is going to start looking kind of dingey pretty quick.
Of all those knives, which one weighs the least..?? ....If you want a more sturdy Para 3 lightweight, Why not just get a regular Para 3...??