Backpacking knife ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rab

Backpacking knife ?

Post by Rab »

Whats your thoughts on either the new (green) Salt 2 or Native 5 salt as a lightweight backpacking blade.

Cheers
Wartstein

Re: Backpacking knife ?

Post by Wartstein »

Salt 2 ffg (yes, the green one ;) ), no doubt for me. And in SE.
Lighter, more cutting edge, better/roomier handle offering a more stable grip (for me), slicier (thinner stock)...

See also here: viewtopic.php?t=88925#p1496689
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’ve backpacked with a Delica pe in orange and it worked great. Have an ESSE Izula for a fix blade I carry as well.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Thumb ramp or no thumb ramp.
Ergos should be the only real deciding factor here as both will work excellently.

Does it have to be a salt? Seems like about any stainless holds up to being a backpacking knife. That would give you a lot of options.
Para 3 lightweight, chaparrel lightweight, others.

As far as the two you asked about I would go with the native. If you have large hands you pretty much have to use the choil grip on the native. However if you have large hands you also may not like the "delica" handle (the salt 2 handle). Its just not handfilling enough for me.

Native has maybe the best version of a backlock ever, better piercing tip, its still a slicer. It has thicker blade stock but due to the distal taper and the swedge it is an amazing slicer.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have the Native Salt with a SE and it was one of my most carried garden knives this summer (cutting weeds and for harvesting). And also last summer. LC200N is easy to sharpen and the serrations will stay sharp for weeks. I only wish there are PB washers in there, because the grit gets in readily through the pocket clip anchors (and everywhere really).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Pick the one that fits your hand best. Both are excellent. Of the two I'd take the Native 5 Salt myself.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have backpacked with both an orange Delica4 and a pink Native5LW so very similar knives. Both are great. The Delica has a little thinner blade but the ergos on the Native work better for me. I couldn’t really pick between the two.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Between those two I would recommend the Salt 2 because it is lighter. (Salt 2 = 1.9 oz vs. Native Salt = 2.4 oz) They're both good options though and they'll both serve you well while backpacking.

I actually wanted to pick up a Salt 2 earlier this summer to substitute for my Para 3 LW as my backpacking knife but never got around to it. Para 3 LW has worked very well for me in that role. Another model I've liked carrying while backpacking is the Junior.
-Nick :bug-red
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I would personally pick a Mora Companion for a backpacking blade. And a folder for EDC or pocket carry. But the knives you mentioned are great knives and pretty much rustproof. I say you can't go wrong with either choice.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Depends on how you define backpacking. When I go backpacking I’m carrying a stove and dehydrated foods and trying to stay as light as I can. My typical use for a knife is opening food packages or trimming bandages, small cordage for guylines on a tent or awning, etc. I don’t have fire making as a priority, but I also know that it doesn’t take a large knife to prepare tinder and kindling in my environment.

Given all of the above considerations, and what I actually bring on my own backpacking trips- I’d recommend the Salt 2 FFG. Mine keeps a very keen edge for a few days’ use and is an extraordinarily lightweight and robust blade for how well it cuts. Just my humble opinion.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

The FRN handle on my native 5 salt didn't hold up very well, 3 months and it was done.

I carried it everyday and it saw a lot of use during that time.

I would recommend a model with steel liners if you plan to use it hard.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I used a Spyderco Cat, then a Native 5 with S110V as my backpacking knife. Both were fine.

And I have a small light fixed blade (Spyderco Junction) which is now discontinued which makes a
great backpacking knife.

Of course pretty much any Spyderco is a great backpacking knife, but we are usually talking about a serious effort to reduce weight. If you really want to reduce weight, carry a single edge razor blade in a "sheath" made of some cardboard and tape. That is usually adequate for almost everything that comes up unless you are playing Rambo.
brj

Post by brj »

I've been steadily migrating towards more hand-neutral handles so out of your options I'd go with the Salt 2.
Size-wise I personally prefer a bit larger so when backpacking I typically EDC either a Pacific Salt, orange Endura or orange Military
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

If you are looking for blade-to-weight efficiency, here is a chart for your consideration. The "most blade for the weight" selections are labeled. Personally I carry a modified Spyderco mule because I like a fixed blade for lightweight backpacking. If I'm really counting ounces, then a Bradly Air.

Note that the BM Bugout has about the same efficiency score (perpendicular distance from the slanted regression line) as the Ark, Air, Mule, Moran, and Pac Salt. It's not as unusual as people make it out to be.
Attachments
Efficiency.png
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Josh1973 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 pm
I would personally pick a Mora Companion for a backpacking blade. And a folder for EDC or pocket carry. But the knives you mentioned are great knives and pretty much rustproof. I say you can't go wrong with either choice.
I agree with this. Either the Mora, Izula, Aqua Salt, Enuff, etc., something light and strong. When I used to backpack, I wanted light weight, but I also had to think about worst case scenarios. What if I had to survive for a few days (I have had to do that!)? So, I would want a fixed blade knife. I would get a Native 5 Salt or a Salt 2 and stick it down in my pocket (or even a Delica) where it could not be lost...just in case. I also used to carry a small mag bar with a striker/fero rod.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:59 pm
If you are looking for blade-to-weight efficiency, here is a chart for your consideration. The "most blade for the weight" selections are labeled. Personally I carry a modified Spyderco mule because I like a fixed blade for lightweight backpacking. If I'm really counting ounces, then a Bradly Air.

Note that the BM Bugout has about the same efficiency score (perpendicular distance from the slanted regression line) as the Ark, Air, Mule, Moran, and Pac Salt. It's not as unusual as people make it out to be.
To be clear: I even started a dedicated thread on why the Salt 2 ffg for me is "the better bugout". For several reasons (first and foremost I'd never bring an axxis lock knife to the (remote) outdoors) -
viewtopic.php?t=88925#p1496689
But I am always a bit confused by the BLADE to weight comparisons... I think more important would be CUTTING EDGE to weight...? (Again, despite the Bugout "wins" there over the Salt, the latter is still the better ultralight option by far for me).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

between your two choices I'd go with the Native. Less hot spots for my hand.

Given my own collection to choose from, I'd go with a Pacific Salt for a folder or an Aqua Salt for a fixed blade. The weight penalty over smaller knives is worth it for me, getting a more comfortable grip and more versatile blade.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:55 pm

Given my own collection to choose from, I'd go with a Pacific Salt for a folder or an Aqua Salt for a fixed blade. The weight penalty over smaller knives is worth it for me, getting a more comfortable grip and more versatile blade.
True.

As much as I love my Salt 2 ffg and as amazing it performs for its size: Actually in 99.99 % of my hikes and climbs the rather slight weight increase of the longer PAC Salt 2 ffg would not matter, but the performamce increase (especially (but not only) in food prep) be noticable.

Why do I carry the smaller Salt 2 a lot then at the moment in the mountains? Well, right now I am just enjoying the concept of having and using the lightest locking folder possible in a package I generally like (opening hole, backlock...) and getting everything done with this shorter blade.
Practically and rationally speaking the PAC Salt 2 ffg SE would be an even better choice and I will get one 100% certain in the not too far future.
(And actually carry my H1 SE Pac Salt 1 a lot too in the mountains anyway).
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would get a knife that sits well in hand and I can rely on, even if it weights 1 oz more than a feather. You also don't go hiking with running shoes just because they are lighter than proper tracking boots.

With that said - I carry now for normal hiking (we have small kids, we don't go to places where 'survivalist' situation might occur) a knife that I simply like to handle and use - the Schempp Bowie (I love that thing!).

Arguably a knife like Caribbean, Siren, Stretch, Gayle Bradley etc. are going to be even more robust, but if you need a really strong knife, then most likely have a fixed blade and maybe a thinner/lighter folding knife as a secondary.

Or just be a man and get the Tuff :winking-tongue
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:33 am
I would get a knife that sits well in hand and I can rely on, even if it weights 1 oz more than a feather. You also don't go hiking with running shoes just because they are lighter than proper tracking boots.
Funny you'd say this: I (and pretty much all of the "mountain guys" here) always wear trail running shoes when hiking, spring/summer/fall mountaineerimg, not too severe climbing... ;)

I don't (!) recommend this though to people not really used to light (running) shoes in the mountains and it is not related to knives!

You are 100% right that on all "normal" hikes it is much more important snd enjoyable that a folder just "fits" and is a model one likes than that it is superlight! But if one happens to get one that offers both: Does not hurt either.