Backpacking knife ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Backpacking knife ?

Post by aicolainen »

I Think MFlovejp brings up an important point here, what will the knife be used for?
Backpacking is a very broad category and can mean widely different things for each person commenting.

Last week I was backpacking in a mountainous national park with a couple of very experienced and fit friends, so the the priority was on light weight and fast pace. Yup, we used trail running shoes and I carried the Pac salt ffg se. Even the pac salt was overkill for that trip, but I had a nice home cocked meal planned for the first evening, so I needed a knife with some reach. Were it not for that meal, I probably would have brought something even smaller and lighter. A salt 2 ffg would be more than enough.

This weekend I’m going backpacking in some remote woodland with one of my kids. Safety and comfort will be dialed up to 12. Boots, fixed blade and folder +++ for this one.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

It’s pretty tough to beat a Mora. I carried one plenty while backpacking in Oregon and even found a #1 just south of the Three Sisters. We’re knife nuts though, so slip a Native in your pocket for good measure.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:41 pm
Bolster wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:59 pm
If you are looking for blade-to-weight efficiency, here is a chart for your consideration. The "most blade for the weight" selections are labeled. Personally I carry a modified Spyderco mule because I like a fixed blade for lightweight backpacking. If I'm really counting ounces, then a Bradly Air.

Note that the BM Bugout has about the same efficiency score (perpendicular distance from the slanted regression line) as the Ark, Air, Mule, Moran, and Pac Salt. It's not as unusual as people make it out to be.
To be clear: I even started a dedicated thread on why the Salt 2 ffg for me is "the better bugout". For several reasons (first and foremost I'd never bring an axxis lock knife to the (remote) outdoors) -
viewtopic.php?t=88925#p1496689
But I am always a bit confused by the BLADE to weight comparisons... I think more important would be CUTTING EDGE to weight...? (Again, despite the Bugout "wins" there over the Salt, the latter is still the better ultralight option by far for me).

A note for those who carry a Bugout outdoors: if your spring breaks, the easy fix is to jam a twig into the axis lock cutout, wedging the stud into locked position. This will make it a fixed blade, but it will do.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This is a lot like when people ask me "what computer should I buy?". I always ask what they intend to do with it.

Do you want to develop software? Play state of the art games? Simply answer emails and browse the web? Do Photo editing?

These all lead to different choices. The same is certainly true of a backpacking knife. I ask myself kind of a flip side question, namely "what did I use my backpacking knife for on the last several trips?" Do I wish I had something different? Could I have gotten away with less or without it entirely. The most common answer is that nothing at all would be fine. I am not doing bushcrafting or anything that remotely resembles it. I am often hking in Kings Canyon Park in California and at the higher elevations where I am at, fires are illegal, and even if they weren't I would be cooking on a stove anyway. So just carrying a single edge razor blade has actually been a very realistic option and is what I have carried on a number of trips. I carry a Spyderco not because I need it, but because I like my knives and want to have one along.

This is a good exercise by the way with all of your gear, namely after each trip to review if you actually needed it or could do without it or have carried something lighter. There are some things that are essential regardless, but less than most people think.

I am indeed on of those that does most of his backpacking and mountaineering in trail running shoes, though I have been using Lowa Innox lately in a mid height version, which actually may be marketed as a trail running shoe in the low version, but makes an excellent ultra light "boot" that I am enjoying. And the pair was given to me.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would likely choose one of the Salt folders and pair it with an SAK.

There are many backpackers who carry no more knife than a tiny Victorinox Classic. One woman hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail alone with only a Classic for all of her knife needs.

But I'd have at least a 3" bladed folder along for the ride than go without. I would rather have a knife and not need it than to need one and not have it. And having a small, lightweight, but significant enough knife of only about 2 oz. wouldn't add that much weight.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If opening the packaging of freeze-dried foods is your only requirement, either knife will do. Do you have other needs?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this is a tough one to answer...

the native salt is a more robust design, meaning it has a thicker blade and all-around beefier build. if you are wanting to use the knife for any type of wood processing, i'd probably recommend it over the salt because it's going to be tougher, more hand-filling, and has (subjectively speaking) better ergonomics. i think it would be more comfortable in harder use over extended periods.

that said, the salt 2 is nice and thin, so it's absolutely going to be a better slicer than the native. the thinner handle makes it less confidence-inspiring, but it's no slouch and it basically disappears in your pocket or waistband. you're much more likely to notice the native in either location (which may be a good thing if you're worried about losing it and want that reassurance).

i hope that's helpful. in the end, though, i'd honestly choose a manix 2 lw over the native salt for an outdoor knife (as long as outdoor doesn't mean the ocean) and i'd choose a pacific salt 2 se in h1 to carry with it. i prefer the longer blade lengths of these knives and they don't weigh much more for the extra functionality they offer. as for the h1 vs lc200n in my recommendation, i like lc200n and don't have any problems with it, but i like the extra reinforcement of the hollow ground h1 blade and, in my experience, the h1 edge seems to be more resilient than the se lc200n.

side note: what i'd really carry into the woods would probably be a mora for woodworking (in my pack), an esee jg5 (on the belt) for an overall woods/survival knife, a victorinox rangergrip 79 (in my pack), and a pacific salt in se h1 (pocket or waistband). if i had to only carry folding knives, i'd probably go for cold steel finn wolf (in my pack), cold steel 4max scout (in my pocket), victorinox rangergrip 79 (in my pack), and pacific salt se h1 (in my waistband). i may throw my manix 2 lw in the pack as well as a backup since it is so light and still very capable.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:44 am

side note: what i'd really carry into the woods would probably be a mora for woodworking (in my pack), an esee jg5 (on the belt) for an overall woods/survival knife, a victorinox rangergrip 79 (in my pack), and a pacific salt in se h1 (pocket or waistband). if i had to only carry folding knives, i'd probably go for cold steel finn wolf (in my pack), cold steel 4max scout (in my pocket), victorinox rangergrip 79 (in my pack), and pacific salt se h1 (in my waistband). i may throw my manix 2 lw in the pack as well as a backup since it is so light and still very capable.
Thank you. I was wondering if I accidentally switched to Mac Gyver...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Granoo Fink wrote: Thank you. I was wondering if I accidentally switched to Mac Gyver...
i still recommended a sak. ;)
James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:58 am
There are many backpackers who carry no more knife than a tiny Victorinox Classic. One woman hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail alone with only a Classic for all of her knife needs.
i have a friend that thru-hiked the appalachian trail with only a victorinox cadet. i think that's insane. i understand that "every ounce counts" mentality, but i don't understand sacrificing a legitimate survival tool for a little bit of weight.

speaking of legitimate survival tools, i think it's laughable for someone to recommend a bugout for this role. jam a twig into it if the spring breaks?! hahahaha!!! how about i just carry a knife that i don't have to worry about breaking? that knife will not be a knife that people tend to actually break occasionally during edc.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:37 pm
Granoo Fink wrote: Thank you. I was wondering if I accidentally switched to Mac Gyver...
i still recommended a sak. ;)
James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:58 am
i have a friend that thru-hiked the appalachian trail with only a victorinox cadet. i think that's insane. i understand that "every ounce counts" mentality, but i don't understand sacrificing a legitimate survival tool for a little bit of weight.

speaking of legitimate survival tools, i think it's laughable for someone to recommend a bugout for this role. jam a twig into it if the spring breaks?! hahahaha!!! how about i just carry a knife that i don't have to worry about breaking? that knife will not be a knife that people tend to actually break occasionally during edc.

I also wouldn’t want to sacrifice having a good knife just to save a few ounces. Admittedly, I’m not an ultra-light backpacker, or whatever. Just because something may not have been needed much or even at all before doesn’t mean future circumstances where one IS needed could never arise. I wouldn’t carry a Bowie knife or anything like that, but I wouldn’t want to skimp on having an adequate knife, either. A Mora would be good. SAks are great for their versatility, but I would also carry a dedicated knife, and there are enough lightweight Spyderco knives that could fill that bill.

Jim
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I always find this "survival tool" mentality amusing. Most survival scenarios boil down to operator error.

Your best survival tool is between your two ears, or ought to be. It is hard to imagine any scenario where a knife will be a critical asset, or where the same weight could not be exchanged for something else of far greater value. But people love this "man versus the wilderness" mindset and load their packs down with "what if" type items.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Rab wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:40 pm
Whats your thoughts on either the new (green) Salt 2 or Native 5 salt as a lightweight backpacking blade.

Cheers
First of, the Native has been my favourite knife for years but I've been carrying the Salt non stop for a month and enjoying it tremendously. My choice would come down to how much I would expect to use the knife. The Native is better for me if I need to use it for a longer period if time. It feels like an ergonnomic box cutter. The Salt is better if I want to do more food prep and if weight is of a concern, all be it marginally.

Honestly there is no wrong choice.

It also comes down to what you are expecting to do when you are backpacking. Sometimes I would choose a lighter fixed blade over a folder and sometimes that is just overkill. Sometimes you're just hiking and making a meal along the way and sometimes you're making fires and shelters.
/ David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Tucson Tom wrote: I always find this "survival tool" mentality amusing. Most survival scenarios boil down to operator error.

Your best survival tool is between your two ears, or ought to be. It is hard to imagine any scenario where a knife will be a critical asset, or where the same weight could not be exchanged for something else of far greater value. But people love this "man versus the wilderness" mindset and load their packs down with "what if" type items.
I guess it depends on who it is, but a backpacking knife doesnt necessarily have anything to do with survival.

When I read backpacking knife, Im really reading which knife do I want to open my food packages with every time I go.

Edit.
I just saw your comment before this comment and realise that you know this. I didnt realise you had made this comment that I quoted in response to the direction the conversation had headed.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Lots of opinions, as expected. The OP hasn't revealed any information on his expected use so there's no need to get fired up over what's enough knife or not.
The fact that a capable locking folder is being dismissed and mocked in the same thread as a single edged razor blade is justified as enough knife says a lot.

Another fact. Independent of expected use, the Salt 2 and Native Salt are not all that different in size, weight and capability. So if that's the two you're choosing between, personal preference based on looks and feel in hand is as good a determining factor as any.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

This is an interesting intersection of hobbies. Backpacking itself is considered it's own thing in terms of people who want to cover as much ground as possible and get to a certain destination with what's on their back. Modern gear and technology has made it so that you really don't have to make anything out of the environment. You carry all of your food, a stove and fuel, water purification, and enough clothing and sleeping gear to keep you warm in your given environment. A fit average backpacker should make 15-20 miles a day pretty easily carrying around a 35 pound load (lighter if you have invested money into some of the nicer gear). In an emergency, you are relying on your ability to either hike out, fix yourself with your first aid kit, use your InReach or similar, or have your partner(s) go get help. I don't think that fieldcraft is really a priority for the hobbyist described above, so the idea of spending precious ounces on a large single function knife or multiple knives is not really a thing.

I personally am a knife person (as are we all here, right?) and so I must make allowances for a knife in my kit. Here in Alaska we always carry a fire kit on us with a lighter and some sort of ready tinder and a knife. I still want to be lightweight (to cover those miles,) so I'm packing either a Salt 2 PE FFG or, more often for me a Pac Salt 2 SE in H1 steel. Still light enough to pretty much justify the weight while packing a whole lot of performance- plus its weatherproof. Ultimately it comes down to what you're trying to accomplish, a 20 mile day or a milder hike with a big campfire later that evening. I just wanted to try and make the distinction of what most people define as backpacking vs short distance camping with fieldcraft.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
James Y

Post by James Y »

Between a Native 5 and a Salt 2, I'd personally choose the Salt 2. I much prefer the feel of it in my hand. But YMMV.

Jim
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

My native 5 hits the sweet spot for me, but ultimately it is all about your own preferences. The Native 5 I carry just happens to be in S110V, which is pretty corrosion resistant, but if I had it in LC200N, well that would be all the more cooler.

What I have ended up using my knife for is (as the OP said) opening packages, cutting some para cord once or twice, and even cutting up a steak on one occasion when I met up with some friends in the Grtand Canyon who were travelling on boats. And I have probably cut cheese, salami, etc. (where I razor blade would be less than handy). But without a knife, I would just have bitten chunks off (same for the steak).

But I enjoy every chance to poke fun at the backcountry Rambo mentality.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:55 pm
I always find this "survival tool" mentality amusing. Most survival scenarios boil down to operator error.

the tool between your ears isn't going to cut something for you. it's going to tell you to bring something adequate when you head into a situation where you might encounter the need to cut something. personally, i carry edc knives that can at least be pushed to survival tools. when i'm purposely heading into the wilderness, i usually carry something a little more specialized and/or durable. people have always relied on sharpened tools for survival. and the wilderness isn't necessarily against us, but that doesn't mean it's all rainbows and singing either. i'm not sure why it's amusing to want to be prepared.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Rab

Post by Rab »

Thanks for all the responses, so great to see all the opinions and discussions.

My use case, will be pretty light general stuff. Think an EDC knife for the outdoors.
Day hikes and some car camping these days.
If I do require something a bit more extreme I've picked up a TUFF And I have a few big fixed blades.

I did used to do a fair bit of Ultra running so I know the benefits of trail shoes and lightweight knives. My pack used to have nothing more than a classic SD in it and that took me accross the Sahara :)

Cheers.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rab wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm
Thanks for all the responses, so great to see all the opinions and discussions.

My use case, will be pretty light general stuff. Think an EDC knife for the outdoors.
Day hikes and some car camping these days.
If I do require something a bit more extreme I've picked up a TUFF And I have a few big fixed blades.

I did used to do a fair bit of Ultra running so I know the benefits of trail shoes and lightweight knives. My pack used to have nothing more than a classic SD in it and that took me accross the Sahara :)

Cheers.
Well, for the use case you describe I´d really try to handle both and get what "connects" more with you / feels better in your hand in use ("in use" cause for me the Native feels perfect in hand when I just hold it, but gets a bit "unstable" in hand in a bit harder use. The Salt works better for me in ergos, But that is just me and my hand of course).

I personally would take the Salt anyway, but specifically for ultra running the a bit lighter weight and flatter profile (iwb?) gives it a slight edge over the Native imo.
A bit more cutting edge and a slicier blade can´ hurt too, not only for minor food prep
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)