Sold without a box?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cptoffline

Sold without a box?

Post by cptoffline »

Hi,
today I received a new Ladybug 3 Salt HB from a large online retailer. Other than expected, it arrived without the usual Spyderco box.. what I got was the knife only, packed in a small bubble envelope, in a clear plastic baggy with a sticker, in a flat cardboard shipping envelope.

Is this a usual practice (i.e. are these sometimes sold in "bulk packaging"? should I be worried? Is this a reason to file a complaint? (It's my first Ladybug, so I'm not really sure if they normally come in boxes.) the knife itself looks legit.
TazKristi

Re: Sold without a box?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, cptoffline:
Welcome to our forum. Your experience is unusual. The Ladybug 3 Salt HB is normally packaged in our small slider box. It isn't necessarily cause for concern, but it's not normal either. Would you mind sharing what retailer you purchased from? It could be that the original box was damaged somehow, or that your knife was purchased and returned and the box was lost/damaged. There are a few scenarios that come to mind.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Does the ladybug have a history of being counterfeited?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Definitely weird. I'd return it and buy from another retailer like DLT Trading.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

cptoffline wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am
Hi,
today I received a new Ladybug 3 Salt HB from a large online retailer. Other than expected, it arrived without the usual Spyderco box.. what I got was the knife only, packed in a small bubble envelope, in a clear plastic baggy with a sticker, in a flat cardboard shipping envelope.

Is this a usual practice (i.e. are these sometimes sold in "bulk packaging"? should I be worried? Is this a reason to file a complaint? (It's my first Ladybug, so I'm not really sure if they normally come in boxes.) the knife itself looks legit.
Care to mention the retailer you bought it from?
cptoffline

Post by cptoffline »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 pm
Hi, cptoffline:
Welcome to our forum. Your experience is unusual. The Ladybug 3 Salt HB is normally packaged in our small slider box. It isn't necessarily cause for concern, but it's not normal either. Would you mind sharing what retailer you purchased from? It could be that the original box was damaged somehow, or that your knife was purchased and returned and the box was lost/damaged. There are a few scenarios that come to mind.

Kristi
Hi all,
thank you for the quick reply. Sure I'll share the name of the retailer.. that ladybug has been sold and shipped by amazon in Germany, no 3rd party dealer involved.

I much prefer dedicated knife stores and try to avoid the big A, but this exact configuration (LB3 / Salt HB / SE) wasn't easily available at any of my go-to places. And while the price was rather good, it was not alarmingly low, though; just a 15% discount on the "regular" price over here, which amounts to just short of 90USD (€76).
SSR3

Post by SSR3 »

Did your item have to go through customs? Sometimes lazy inspectors leave out packaging after they rummage through it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Never received a Spydie without a box (except one of the few used ones I bought from the secondary market).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cptoffline

Post by cptoffline »

I'm done with the doubt-waging, a return/exchange claim has been made.

Today, I took the knife to the office with me, to see if we can still become friends after yesterday's bad start with the missing box.

While fidgeting with it, I found the spyderhole to be pretty rough, i.e. excruciatingly sharp: it was able to peel wood off a pencil, cut into my thumbnail and cause a pre-cut sensation (is that even a thing? :grimace) when opened lefty. Also, a very small piece of the FRN handle was missing.
The whole thing felt somehow "B-stock"... quite different from the any other Spydie I have/had/held.

Sure, nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bit of fine grit sandpaper, and I have bought "slightly blemished" fixer-uppers before - but I need to know that before I buy, and I'm surely not paying an A-stock price then.

I'm pretty sure now that I received a pre-sold knife that had been returned because of the small blemishes in fit&finish, and with the box missing.

As I wasn't too happy with this deal, I opted for "exchange for replacement item", and my (hopefully boxed and unblemished) new Ladybug is supposed to be here on Monday. I'll let you know how it went.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cptoffline wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm

While fidgeting with it, I found the spyderhole to be pretty rough, i.e. excruciatingly sharp: it was able to peel wood off a pencil, cut into my thumbnail and cause a pre-cut sensation (is that even a thing? :grimace) when opened lefty. .....
Sounds right to opt for the exchange!

On the "sharp" Spyderhole though: This can be a good thing too, since it grips the skin of the finger better and makes for a more reliable opening. I personally like that.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cptoffline

Post by cptoffline »

cptoffline wrote:
As I wasn't too happy with this deal, I opted for "exchange for replacement item", and my (hopefully boxed and unblemished) new Ladybug is supposed to be here on Monday. I'll let you know how it went.
Good news: the replacement Ladybug arrived boxed and in time.
Bad news: there was quite a lot of pocket lint inside the handle, the blade was scratched, and the tip clearly bent. A lot worse than the first one. :steam-nose
So, no more Spydies (or knives in general...) off the big A for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

cptoffline wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:37 am
cptoffline wrote:
Good news: the replacement Ladybug arrived boxed and in time.
Bad news: there was quite a lot of pocket lint inside the handle, the blade was scratched, and the tip clearly bent. A lot worse than the first one. :steam-nose
So, no more Spydies (or knives in general...) off the big A for me.
Not good! Make sure you complain to Amazon about this issue until you get a better response. They are shipping and selling used merchandise as new which is more than likely illegal where you live. Since it has happened twice, they have a serious problem.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Wow! At this point I would be feeling cursed by the knife gods! Persevere though, I have a feeling you’re going to love that knife when you get the next one!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The thumb hole being sharp isn't a "flaw", most of them come that way. It's easy to round off if you want to but many people like them sharp especially on such a small knife, I think it makes it easier to get traction on the blade during opening. The missing box would have been enough for me to return it though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

This all makes sense now given the updates about Amazon.