Spyderco Q possible prototype???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
s11ews

Spyderco Q possible prototype???

Post by s11ews »

Good morning all…

This is a rather long story but thought it may interest some and help me work out the provenance.

A long time ago, spyderco used to come and do a little show each year in The royal armouries, Leeds U.K. before heading off to Amsterdam to do similar, show off new prototypes, talk about products etc. It was always a great time and on one of the years I went there was a meet-up the day before where everyone got their knives out, chatted, drank beer and went for a curry afterwards. I remember meeting Sal, Gail, Eric and Ed Schempp. It was amazing.

Onto this little beauty. I used to go on holiday in France each year with my family and in the local city there was a very cool little shop selling knives etc… most things in the window were touristy type stuff but if you went in to the deeper darker depths there was some rather special stuff tucked away in cabinets at the back. Spyderco, benchmade, mcusta, boker, Chris reeve and more. With a thin layer of dust and a very faded price sticker tucked away I spotted this spyderco Q and instantly knew it needed to be mine!
It was the pride of my collection until the meet-up when it got even more special for me. Eric and Sal saw the knife and checked it out for a fair little while. Eric told me that this was one of the original Q prototypes that went walkabouts (they mentioned something to do with the clipping of the plastic near the pivot and clip) and that it was a very special thing.
A year or two ago I emailed spyderco with a load of pics to try and get a letter or similar explaining this so I could keep it with the knife and evidence the history (no blame on spyderco whatsoever they’re great guys and gals but also very very busy, had a few emails back and forth with one of Eric’s assistants Alex but still no response)
I have been advised that the Sal and Eric frequent on occasion so thought I would post on here hoping that he may see and be able to advise

Hope you’re all doing well
Many thanks
Sam
Attachments
D2C73673-0EC9-4C33-AD10-3C474EC8C95D.jpeg
0488B075-BD7E-460A-97E7-C5F92D3F4747.jpeg
693D018C-2264-416F-BE58-9D2DE7F1E632.jpeg
31EEB140-C081-4EBA-B7C9-A45EE9DFB9C7.jpeg
BABA8EF0-9167-4EB0-B235-1C6E3795E16A.jpeg
B5180675-E06B-4F09-AB29-253E6D4F2777.jpeg
8ED359D1-4F4E-4C2F-BE57-5486753B119F.jpeg
D985BCAA-9776-4143-902B-F18E66F81F46.jpeg
8B6A48BA-7769-46AF-A395-8A586793CEDE.jpeg
AB5BD487-07B0-403E-AD07-6D8A975C2CF1.jpeg
1A2EA259-7D4C-44DF-969A-2F62B7554965.jpeg
E0913336-7147-4CFE-BC22-9A8A35D1DCC2.jpeg
Last edited by s11ews on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco Q possible prototype

Post by JD Spydo »

This might just be a really good time for a new run of the "Q" model. Especially with all the new fans of Spyderco that have emerged in the past 3 to 4 years that I've noticed.

Personally I always liked the original "R" model much better>> which was a skeletonized blade that was larger. But the "Q" model sure had a lot of collector appeal and made for a really nice conversation piece. Not to mention there were several versions of it. I've heard that the Jolly Roger edition of the "Q" model is fetching huge prices in the past 3 years.

If they do a new version of the "Q" model I would like to see one with a G-10 handle maybe.
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

Oh yes, a g10 Q and keep the wire type back lock and clip would be awesome
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

s11ews wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 am
Oh yes, a g10 Q and keep the wire type back lock and clip would be awesome
The "Q" model with a G-10 handle would truly be a nice EDC user that I would consider carrying. Especially when you are forced to carry short bladed models>> due to draconian knife laws.

As of now the "Q" model seems to be solely a collector piece that really isn't taken seriously as a possible "user".
Manixguy@1994

Re: Spyderco Q possible prototype???

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This is the 1st generation Q commonly called the 3D model . One thing if note about the Q it was the first Spyderco to have a two way clip and was totally ambidextrous. This is the most common version made there are other variations that are quite rare . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:15 am
This is the 1st generation Q commonly called the 3D model . One thing if note about the Q it was the first Spyderco to have a two way clip and was totally ambidextrous. This is the most common version made there are other variations that are quite rare . MG2
Thank you for that info, they’re lovely knives, I know this is a 1st gen knife but I was advised by Eric glesser that something to do with the snipping and moulding of the plastic around the pivot and clip area lead to it being a prototype before being slightly revised for 1st run production. Thanks for the advice
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:53 am
This might just be a really good time for a new run of the "Q" model. Especially with all the new fans of Spyderco that have emerged in the past 3 to 4 years that I've noticed.

Personally I always liked the original "R" model much better>> which was a skeletonized blade that was larger. But the "Q" model sure had a lot of collector appeal and made for a really nice conversation piece. Not to mention there were several versions of it. I've heard that the Jolly Roger edition of the "Q" model is fetching huge prices in the past 3 years.

If they do a new version of the "Q" model I would like to see one with a G-10 handle maybe.
Just keep in mind what a G-10 handle would do to the price tag. And even with the original FRN handle, I've seen pictures of several with pieces of the blade broken out along the edge. My personal issue with cutout blades like the Q, R and S is cleaning out all the crap that gets trapped in the holes.

To the O.P. I think it's pretty wild that a stray prototype ended up across the pond. Even if you can't get a C.O.A. to document it, you still have the memory of hearing that straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:38 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:53 am

Just keep in mind what a G-10 handle would do to the price tag. And even with the original FRN handle, I've seen pictures of several with pieces of the blade broken out along the edge. My personal issue with cutout blades like the Q, R and S is cleaning out all the crap that gets trapped in the holes.

To the O.P. I think it's pretty wild that a stray prototype ended up across the pond. Even if you can't get a C.O.A. to document it, you still have the memory of hearing that straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
It is pretty cool just knowing but would love to be able to document it
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

I have a "Q" from the late 80s or early 90s. I really don't remember when I first got it, but it was my first Spyderco. The handles are cutout, but the blade is not and is fully serrated, I think ATS-34. I retired it in the late 90s after an incident in which it was almost lost.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

on_the_edge wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:22 am
I have a "Q" from the late 80s or early 90s. I really don't remember when I first got it, but it was my first Spyderco. The handles are cutout, but the blade is not and is fully serrated, I think ATS-34. I retired it in the late 90s after an incident in which it was almost lost.
Since the Q wasn't produced until 1996, your timeline is a bit off. Those solid bladed Q knives are fairly rare. They don't turn up that often.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

jabba359 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:41 am
on_the_edge wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:22 am
Since the Q wasn't produced until 1996, your timeline is a bit off. Those solid bladed Q knives are fairly rare. They don't turn up that often.
Thanks for that info on my timeline. I know when I almost lost it--October 1999--and knew I had carried it for a long time, but I guess not quite as long as it seemed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

s11ews wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:35 am
It was the pride of my collection until the meet-up when it got even more special for me. Eric and Sal saw the knife and checked it out for a fair little while. Eric told me that this was one of the original Q prototypes that went walkabouts (they mentioned something to do with the clipping of the plastic near the pivot and clip) and that it was a very special thing.
A year or two ago I emailed spyderco with a load of pics to try and get a letter or similar explaining this so I could keep it with the knife and evidence the history (no blame on spyderco whatsoever they’re great guys and gals but also very very busy, had a few emails back and forth with one of Eric’s assistants Alex but still no response)
I have been advised that the Sal and Eric frequent on occasion so thought I would post on here hoping that he may see and be able to advise

Many thanks
Sam

I want to make it clear that I'm not disputing what Eric told you, just trying to understand what the differences are between the handle of your Q and the 1st Generation Q's in my collection. That is to say, what am I missing when I compare them?

To that end, I took the liberty of copying 4 of your photos that showed the ends of your Q's handle and comparing the handle at those points with one of mine...
Compare 1.jpg
Compare 2.jpg
Compare 3.jpg
Compare 4.jpg
Links to full size photos of the mine's handle:

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen ... 20Left.jpg

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen ... 0Right.jpg
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:39 am
s11ews wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:35 am

Many thanks
Sam

I want to make it clear that I'm not disputing what Eric told you, just trying to understand what the differences are between the handle of your Q and the 1st Generation Q's in my collection. That is to say, what am I missing when I compare them?

To that end, I took the liberty of copying 4 of your photos that showed the ends of your Q's handle and comparing the handle at those points with one of mine...

Compare 1.jpg Compare 2.jpg Compare 3.jpg Compare 4.jpg

Links to full size photos of the mine's handle:

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen ... 20Left.jpg

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen ... 0Right.jpg
Thank you so much for the reply… I think I’ve spotted what Eric was mentioning. He was talking about the clipping of the plastic around the pivot, I’m guessing here but I think most likely for easier access for a screwdriver for the pivot?
Taken a couple more pics, sorry my photography skills aren’t the best. Could you by any chance please take a few more of one of your lovely first generations around this area?
Many thanks for the help
Sam
Attachments
D35B11BB-25C9-466B-98FD-BF15F1CD6F3F.jpeg
19154AD8-ACB1-463F-BDC3-6DF5A68B544A.jpeg
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

s11ews wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:50 am
Thank you so much for the reply… I think I’ve spotted what Eric was mentioning. He was talking about the clipping of the plastic around the pivot, I’m guessing here but I think most likely for easier access for a screwdriver for the pivot?
Taken a couple more pics, sorry my photography skills aren’t the best. Could you by any chance please take a few more of one of your lovely first generations around this area?
Many thanks for the help
Sam

Been collecting Spydercos, for nearly 20 years, and Q's for at least 15. The more I learn, the less I'm sure of anything I thought I knew about them. :thinking With that in mind, this is either going to help, or just add to the confusion. :winking-tongue

Here are photos of two 1st Gen Q's from my collection. One appears to have the clipping that you mention, but the other looks pretty much exactly like yours. Both are versions that were made for other companies (Leed and Liberty Safe) so I'm as certain as I can be about anything Spyderco related that neither would be a prototype.

Clipping:

No Clipping:

Links, in case you're using a nannyware browser that won't display embedded photos from non-https websites:

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen/Compare%208.jpg

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen/Compare%207.jpg

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen/Compare%205.jpg

http://paulberetta.com/images/1st%20Gen/Compare%206.jpg
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi S11,

Hard to tell from a photo, but I would take Eric's word for it. He's been hangin' 'round the factory since he was a young man.

sal
s11ews

Post by s11ews »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:29 pm
Hi S11,

Hard to tell from a photo, but I would take Eric's word for it. He's been hangin' 'round the factory since he was a young man.

sal
Thank you for the reply Sal it’s really appreciated.
Is there any chance you could ask Eric to have a look. Years ago he mentioned he would be more than happy to write a quick letter confirming this etc.
Hope you and the family are doing well
Sam
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I finally have had a bit of time to look through my collection. In inspecting 5 of my 1st Gen Q's, 2 show the same rough plastic at the pivot area, 3 are much better in how they were molded. This input from me is not to prove or disprove anything. It's just observations I've made on some of the knives in my collection. The 2 rough Q's include a common Q and a GBC Q. The nicely molded Q's are a gold "Blade" Q, a silver " Blade" Q, and a common Q. I have a few other 1st gens that I have not checked. these are all kept in a spyderpac so much easier to access.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

I just became aware of these skeletonised knives. They're gorgeous !

I hope there'll be re-editions available for purchase in the not-too-distant future.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Unfortunately your hope is hopeless, the production of Qs is long gone away. I can't imagine Spyderco will continue again, especially not in the near future.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:33 am
Unfortunately your hope is hopeless, the production of Qs is long gone away. I can't imagine Spyderco will continue again, especially not in the near future.
I'm looking forward to a 30th anniversary edition in 2026... I want to believe ! :star-struck