New large hawkbill model? Can we get one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

New large hawkbill model? Can we get one?

Post by VooDooChild »

So I find myself wanting a large hawkbill edc.
Specifically not a karambit, but a more utility edc type of design.

Its really about the only gap in spydercos catalog. I know theres the harpy and the tasman, but I would love to see an option in the next size up. ( My hands just dont like those handles.) I unfortunately missed out on the Spyderhawk salts and the Superhawk.

1. I would live to see the Spyderhawk salt come back. I would be very happy to have this as an option.

2. What I would really like to see is something along the lines of a SuperHawk 2!
A dedicated edc large hawkbill from spyderco.

Who is with me? I think the market is different from how it was 10 years ago. I think if spyderco could do another large edc type hawkbill at a decent price, then it would be a good seller.

Would anybody else like to see this?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Re: New large hawkbill model? Can we get one?

Post by kobold »

Make it a SE and then absolutely. I would even buy a Spyderco SE Kama.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ooo...we could call it the SpyderScythe. The Amish would buy tens of them! :winking-tongue
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This makes me wonder if Spyderco has experimented with a Spyderhawk 2? An updated Spyderhawk utilizing the Pacific Salt 2 handles. It certainly feels like a natural progression and it would certainly make sense in their catalog.
-Nick :bug-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

At least another Spyderhawk sprint. I think it would sell fairly well.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I posted this pic on another thread a couple days ago -- I have really come to love the hawkbill over the past year or so, but I have found myself wanting something bigger than the Delia4 platform (Tasman2 Salt)

I think a new G10 SuperHawk in PE & SE would be cool, as would a new SpyderHawk. For me as long as one of them ends up in the Endela+ size category and one in the Endura+, (perhaps as big as a P4) would be awesome, I'm curious to see where this thread goes.... please more hawkbills, they rock!!!

Left to right -- Tasman Salt2, G10 Byrd Hawkbill, Harpy, Merlin, G10 DragonFly2*, G10 Jester Sprint**

* Blade swap with DragonFly2 Salt SE Hawkbill
** Blade swap with LadyBug Salt SE Hawkbill

(The Tasman had a blade swap with a Delica4 trainer)

:winking-tongue
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First off "VooDooChild" I want to thank you for raising this subject. Because it reminds me of an old thread I did several years ago entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill">> which does pop up every so often. It ran about 135 pages or so with dozens of suggestions. And as a result I think the SUPERHAWK model was a result of that thread. And it is time for another hawkbill blade to be above and beyond what we've enjoyed up till now.

How about a Spyderhawk sized folder with a G-10 handle maybe? Or go way out on a limb and do a Hawkbill blade in the size range of the Tatanka model. Yeah I know that a G-10 handle will up the price>> but with the popularity that the SPYDERHAWK has enjoyed over the years I do think the timing would be right. Whichever we decide upon it must have TEETH that is a full Spyderedge.

Or at least could we get another full SE G-10 Harpy? I'll let you all decide which one would be worth asking for. Or maybe you guys have something totally different in mind?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:36 pm

1. I would live to see the Spyderhawk salt come back. I would be very happy to have this as an option.

YES! Spyderhawk Salt should be a permanent model in the lineup as a Spyderhawk 2 Salt with an updated Pacific Salt 2 style green handle and LC200N. I'd be good with another H1 Sprint in the meantime though. Maybe Orange with TiCN coating this time? Different enough to not break the sprint rules.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:12 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:36 pm

YES! Spyderhawk Salt should be a permanent model in the lineup as a Spyderhawk 2 Salt with an updated Pacific Salt 2 style green handle and LC200N. I'd be good with another H1 Sprint in the meantime though. Maybe Orange with TiCN coating this time? Different enough to not break the sprint rules.
I've also thought it would be a great idea to make the Spyderhawk a permanent part of the lineup! Especially with the new Salt 2 changes!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spyderhawk is rad. I'd really like a flat grind plain edge K390 version, with liners. Updating to the new endura handles and clip would be a plus.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Kale

Post by Kale »

Not only is there nothing like this in the Spyderco catalogue, there's nothing like this on the market. The closest I can find is halfway between the size of the Tasman and the Spyderhawk and significantly heavier. I've yet to get my hands on one, but the Spyderhawk looks like it would be great on the farm or garden.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kale wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 pm
Not only is there nothing like this in the Spyderco catalogue, there's nothing like this on the market. The closest I can find is halfway between the size of the Tasman and the Spyderhawk and significantly heavier. I've yet to get my hands on one, but the Spyderhawk looks like it would be great on the farm or garden.
It is an excellent gardening tool and I've used one of mine for a wide variety of garden and landscaping uses. Most folks view these bigger Hawkbill blades as martial arts and/or self defense blades. And I'm sure someone with the proper skills could use them that way very efficiently.

But the fully serrated Spyderhawk has a huge list of jobs it can be used for. Pull cutting that can be done with a big Hawkbill has advantages.

Again I wouldn't be opposed to an even bigger Hawkbill. Or if they want to do a new improved version of the Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle and supersteel blade I would be all for that as well. But this is a great idea and one that I hope will grow legs soon.
Kale

Post by Kale »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:17 pm
Kale wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 pm
It is an excellent gardening tool and I've used one of mine for a wide variety of garden and landscaping uses. Most folks view these bigger Hawkbill blades as martial arts and/or self defense blades. And I'm sure someone with the proper skills could use them that way very efficiently.

But the fully serrated Spyderhawk has a huge list of jobs it can be used for. Pull cutting that can be done with a big Hawkbill has advantages.

Again I wouldn't be opposed to an even bigger Hawkbill. Or if they want to do a new improved version of the Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle and supersteel blade I would be all for that as well. But this is a great idea and one that I hope will grow legs soon.

Once you start comparing the Spyderhawk to actual hand sickle's, it's really not that big. So I wouldn't mind seeing it a bit larger. As long as it stays small enough to be pocket-carried and in a salt-series steel, for easy cleanup. But for a tool at home in the garden, I just hope they use a color that's more conspicuous than green!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I mentioned this once in a recent thread and the more I think on it the more it seems reasonably easy to do and seems like it would rock, how about a standard hawkbill blade in a Civilian handle? Ergonomics are better than the Spyderhawk IMO and it would almost kinda sorta be a hawkbill Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:54 am
I mentioned this once in a recent thread and the more I think on it the more it seems reasonably easy to do and seems like it would rock, how about a standard hawkbill blade in a Civilian handle? Ergonomics are better than the Spyderhawk IMO and it would almost kinda sorta be a hawkbill Military.
That seems like an excellent idea for Spyderco to make a prototype of a Hawkbill with a Civilian handle. I'm sure that would be easy for them to do being the Civi is still in production. I wouldn't even mind seeing a Hawkbill in a Matriarch handle either. I've personally always preferred the Matriarch over the Civi but either one seems like a great idea.

Or as I've been saying if they take and improve the Spyderhawk model with a better handle and better blade that would be nice too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:58 am
I wouldn't even mind seeing a Hawkbill in a Matriarch handle either. I've personally always preferred the Matriarch over the Civi but either one seems like a great idea.

Or as I've been saying if they take and improve the Spyderhawk model with a better handle and better blade that would be nice too.

I'm pretty sure that would just be an "Endura 4 Spyderhawk" wouldn't it? Since the Matriarch uses the Endura 4 handle and the Spyderhawk uses the Endura 3 handle, it would just be the next generation Spyderhawk like the Endura is.

What I like about the Civilian handle

1) The way the ricasso/kick is shaped it almost blends into the handle. It's more attractive looking and almost works like a 50/50 choil. It isn't perfectly flush but I could tweak the G10 a little and make that end of the handle super comfortable to choke up on. If more back locks were made like this I'd own a bunch more.

2) The handle has a decent amount of "pommel" to it, not quite as much as a Military but very close. We all know that hawkbills excel at pull cuts, so I like the idea of a handle having a nice fat butt that my hand can lock onto and not slip off. I don't like the Endura handle nearly as much because it totally lacks this feature, and then it has finger groove points that don't match everyone's finger size.
C12GS_Both.png

Really I would be just as happy if they figured out how to make the tip of the Civilian stronger and robust enough for utility work, then I would actually want to see how the reverse S compares to a hawkbill in yard work. I'm fairly certain I'd snap that tip off though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If the blade shape is that of a karambit and it is close to a 4 inch SE blade in a decent steel, I'd be interested too.

If the ricasso is like the Harpy or Merlin shown above, it will not snag on clothing.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/