Spydiechef lock bar rust?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ArtyTheSmarty

Spydiechef lock bar rust?

Post by ArtyTheSmarty »

Hello folks,

I just picked up a new CQI Spydiechef (less than a month old). I took her apart last night as I had her without me out in the lake (fresh water). I noticed that where the lock bar touches the knife frame, there is rust forming on the whole top of the bar. I know that the Ti frame is capable of rust, but I was very shocked to see it so soon. Just curious if anyone else has experience with it?

I will upload some pictures once I get home and have it in hand.

Thanks in advance,

-Arthur
VooDooChild

Re: Spydiechef lock bar rust?

Post by VooDooChild »

Titanium does not rust.

The pre cqi ones had a steel detent ball which could rust, any of the new ones should have a ceramic detent ball that should not have this problem.

Every time this comes up, we almost all suggest the problem is contamination from the factory. Steel particles got on the blade/knife from the tools used or whatever. Clean the rust off and it shouldnt come back.

Ive had mine in the saltwater several times without any problems.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

It could also be a surface treatment, carburization I think, of the lockbar face.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have two Chefs-- lockbar face is discolored on both. I think it is normal. Indeed titanium can not rust, but pretty sure it can corrode and is prone to galling under certain conditions.
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

ArtyTheSmarty wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:26 pm
Hello folks,

I just picked up a new CQI Spydiechef (less than a month old). I took her apart last night as I had her without me out in the lake (fresh water). I noticed that where the lock bar touches the knife frame, there is rust forming on the whole top of the bar. I know that the Ti frame is capable of rust, but I was very shocked to see it so soon. Just curious if anyone else has experience with it?

I will upload some pictures once I get home and have it in hand.

Thanks in advance,

-Arthur
Yes!