I really hope Spyderco is keeping the liners for the upcoming FRN/LW PM2.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: I really hope Spyderco is keeping the liners for the upcoming FRN/LW PM2.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wouldn't buy this knife, but count me in as part of the crowd that always prefers liners with FRN.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I generally have the impression that Spyderco moves a bit in the linerless direction, both with G10 and FRN. Even the Stretch XL will be linerless though no Salt and though the "regular" Stretch does have liners.

For me understandable:
I figure Spyderco invested a lot in that technology or in getting that good in making linerless FRN knives. Now that they are where they are it would be weird not to make use of that and by that folders easier to produce and more cost effective.
This is also true for almost linerless comp. lock models. I can recall that it was a "small sensation" when the Para 3 LW came out as the first such model.

I never felt that liners are necessary technically speaking, and I don't baby my knives at all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'll add as I have to many similar threads, the only time I've seen an FRN handle broken on this forum was when someone had their Salt 1 stuck blade first into the ground and ran it over with a Bobcat track. It's incredibly tough stuff, even without liners and needs nonsensical use to risk failure.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal