Spyderco Watu is the answer to my quest

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: Spyderco Watu is the answer to my quest

Post by kodai78 »

I love my Watu as well. It’s got what I think is the best Carbon fiber/G10 slabs among my Spydies. I love the wire clip too. The slim profile is perfect in the pocket.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Geo-Ozeki wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:10 am
bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:59 pm
Definitely one of the best! I almost didn't get one because I thought CF was an odd choice for the knife considering the inspiration but the blade shape and coffin handle were too much to resist.
Yes, the handle and blade shape make it. I also like the CF.

It is so perfect in the hand too - one of my favourite knives ever (along with Manix).
Just recently received my new watu and I must agree with you. The feel is great and the size is just right for me. It is as large as it can be and still fit in my pocket without using a clip which is how I do EDC. The fit, finish, and feel seem very good to me. :smlling-eyes
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

It's in my pocket today. Fantastic slicer, great looks, very good fidget factor (the holes really help with grip on the knife I find), deep carry standard, great performing corrosion resistant steel... hard to top this knife!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Count me in as another Watu fan.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I'd love to see a Watu sprint to give me a good excuse to add another to my collection!
~andrew
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

Count me in as another big Watu fan! I would probably never have purchased this knife myself, but my Dad bought me one as a gift, and it's proven to be a phenomenal and versatile knife. The neutral handle shape is crazy comfortable and I have found the unique blade shape to excel in all-around use.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I never even held a Watu, but just by looking at it I know it has a lot I like:

A Manix 2 LW length cutting edge (actually even a tad more) in a just Delica length package (actually even a tad shorter) plus the Delicas 2.5 mm bladestock, handle shape offers maximum space (great on a small folder), very long straight section in the edge, still not totally a wharnie but a slight "belly" towards the tip- very nice indeed!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

I really like Watu. I love large knives, but I wouldn't want Watu to be bigger. That's what Chokwe is for. Watu is good the way it is.

BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

A question for the Watu owners if you don't mind.

How safe is the tip in the closed position? is this one of those knives where if you push on the end of it to seat it in the pocket with the clip that your finger or thumb can contact the tip and get cut?

This way of seating a knife is something I can't break as a habit so it is important for me to avoid knives where this can happen.

Thank you.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

So.. why a CF/G10 laminate instead of solid CF?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spook410 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:35 pm
Costs less
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 pm
Spook410 wrote:
Costs less
That's sort of what I was thinking. For $180 street I would have already acquired one if it had solid CF. As it is, I keep balking on that one element of the design. Seems to dilute the whole deal.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I really like the G10/CF laminate. It has good texture, is durable, and looks pretty. It held up well in my GB1, and I have a few other knives with it. What is not to like?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Been enjoying solid CF on some less expensive knives lately. Guess that raised my expectations. Suppose if I handled a Watu it might change my mind but we'll see if I actually encounter one in the wild. I like the design otherwise and since I lost my Bradley Air I've been looking for something lighter that isn't FRN.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spook410 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Spook410 wrote:
Costs less
That's sort of what I was thinking. For $180 street I would have already acquired one if it had solid CF. As it is, I keep balking on that one element of the design. Seems to dilute the whole deal.
A little scale swap really makes this knife though.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spook410 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Spook410 wrote:
Costs less
But if it had solid CF would the price still be $182? I'm guessing not. I think I'd prefer solid CF only for the status thing. I have several knives with the CF/G10 laminate and I actually like it. It seems like it's really durable and I've never had and issue. The handles all still look like new. It has light texture, is reasonably grippy, and doesn't shred my pockets. Only issue I have with it is Spyderco typically uses the same color. A little more variety would be welcome
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

This almost seems like a can't win thing for Spyderco to me. On one hand if they make more variations as in sprints we buy more knives. Then on the other hand by making more variations their bottom line is decreased unless they produce more knives. Their production is at full capacity now so this is the quandary.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

BeggarSo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:00 pm
A question for the Watu owners if you don't mind.

How safe is the tip in the closed position? is this one of those knives where if you push on the end of it to seat it in the pocket with the clip that your finger or thumb can contact the tip and get cut?

This way of seating a knife is something I can't break as a habit so it is important for me to avoid knives where this can happen.

Thank you.
I've never felt like my fingers would contact the point by seating the knife in pocket if I am understanding you properly. I will say that on more than 1 occasion the knife has opened in my pocket and gotten snagged on my pants. Takes a minute to unsnag without ruining the pants. Not sure how it opened, but my guess would be something pushed against the little bit of exposed choil. The detent is not very strong.
Last edited by JSumm on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:35 am
[
But if it had solid CF would the price still be $182?
Should be. It's a common enough scale material in the $50 - $100 price range. I'm thinking Spyderco had CF laminate G10 on hand already (used it on a Sage?) so that's what they chose to use. Meh. But then I don't care for the highly functional FRN either and have too many knives with flat G10. Looking for a 3D grip and would be nice to see some solid CF and titanium. High end materials for high end knives. Spyderco excels at steel but they don't seem to pay as much attention to their scales.

As for the scale swap, that's possible. The walnut scales above are gorgeous. But now we're talking yet another $100.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spook410 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:32 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:35 am
[
But if it had solid CF would the price still be $182?
Should be. It's a common enough scale material in the $50 - $100 price range. I'm thinking Spyderco had CF laminate G10 on hand already (used it on a Sage?) so that's what they chose to use. Meh. But then I don't care for the highly functional FRN either and have too many knives with flat G10. Looking for a 3D grip and would be nice to see some solid CF and titanium. High end materials for high end knives. Spyderco excels at steel but they don't seem to pay as much attention to their scales.

As for the scale swap, that's possible. The walnut scales above are gorgeous. But now we're talking yet another $100.
Thanks for the compliment on the scales, and I also have to 100% agree with you. I love Spyderco knives and will always support them and buy their products, but I have ventured out in other directions the past few years because of the desire for different handle materials.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick