Sage 5 LW Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you want to see a sprint? What steel/color?

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 59

Paraguy

Sage 5 LW Sprint

Post by Paraguy »

The Sage 5 light weight is one of Spyderco's best all-round EDC folders for the price. Functionally its just as good as a Para 3 or regular Sage if not better. It is one of Spyderco's most beautiful designs. And most importantly it has an incredible value for what it is. (Personally I think its a much better knife than the para 3 lw, mostly due to steel liners, and is well worth the extra 20 bucks.) So why haven't we seen a sprint?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Airlsee

Re: Sage 5 LW Sprint

Post by Airlsee »

All of them. Magnacut would be fitting as the first.
So it goes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sure!

I am with you on that this knife is one of the most beautiful Spydies and also that it is without a doubt (for me, subjective of course) a better knife than the Para 3 (LW) - imo not for the steel liners though (actually I´d like to see a linerless FRN Sage 5 , constructed like the Para 3 LW), but for several other reasons.

I don´t know if Taichung can/will use REX 45, but that´s what I´d choose and this with the classic burnt orange handle.

XHP would be nice too and a "Taichung steel", though honestly for me not really different to S30V in real life use.

/ An FRN Sage ONE LW though would be even better in one of these steels or "just" S30V.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Would love to see these in SPY27, 20CV, and of course MagnaCut. Have to say my Sage in Maxament is such an amazing knife....
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Sage 5 LW + a steel like Maxamet/REX121 = the best cutting performance pocket knife on the production market.

Sal said there weren’t necessarily plans to make the Sage 5 lw in REX121, but the sample he’s carried exists. Aside from that individual knife, I imagine only BBB’s design with 15v and the Maxamet Sage 1 would be on par in edge retention/general cutting performance.

The Sage has thin geometry and a nice design, so it’s perfect for those “laser” steels. I recall the purpose of the lightweight FRN Sage was exactly to be a possible platform for variations.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've been holding off on buying a Sage 5 because I want something other than the standard offering. So I'd likely buy a sprint (or exclusive) depending on what the configuration is. I already have several knives with burnt orange so that would be a no go. I have a lot of knives with grey handles too. Something with Magnacut would be really cool. SPY27 would be fine too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Dark Gray and XHP, 20CV, Cruwear.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Since I just let go of my 10v PM2; i'd like to see some more 10v choices.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Same as Manix in SPY27 : blade in SPY27 and FRCP(FRN) handle in cobalt blue.
Mod.2 : blade in REX45 and FRCP(FRN) handle in bright orange (not burnt).
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

M390 with a dark green handle would be really nice
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I seems like a little bit of a sleeper to me. It deserves some time is the sun. Do forum knives have to be from Golden?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

K390 in G-10 in the greenish color FRN of the Seki models.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SPY27
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Carbon fiber, SPY 27, Elmax, or S 90V.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Derf

Post by Derf »

Has Sal made any more info available regarding a Sage 5 (or Sage 5 LW) sprint?

Also, what is the best way that I can keep up to date / aware of an upcoming sprint?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Derf wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:50 pm
Has Sal made any more info available regarding a Sage 5 (or Sage 5 LW) sprint?

Also, what is the best way that I can keep up to date / aware of an upcoming sprint?
Welcome aboard Derf,
I'm not sure but if you make a post i'm certain someone can answer your questions.
"Some call me...Tim?"
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

I'd be very happy with any of the following, preferably in British Racing Green.

SPY27
S45VN
S110V
M390/20CV
MagnaCut
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I don't think it's a secret anymore that i wish the Sage line would get back in line and release more lock types and skip the sidetracks.. On the other hand it doesn't bother me if they release umpteen variations of the 5, but please don't ruin the whole concept.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
soas

Post by soas »

Stumbled upon Sal mentioning his Rex45(?) Sage 5 prototype somewhere. It doesn't need to be that steel, but there are plenty of compelling options. The Sage 5 LW really caught my eye and a sprint run is one of the last few Spydercos I'm holding out on.
soas

Post by soas »

Found a post of somewhere of Sal mentioning a prototype of a Sage 5 in something other than S30V. Would absolutely love for this to be a thing. Plenty of great options out there! I am definitely in for a Sage 5 LW sprint run.