NKD! K390 Stretch: Best “first impression” yet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

NKD! K390 Stretch: Best “first impression” yet

Post by Manifestgtr »

2F2419D3-2166-4D8B-821D-C90BB1D78C4D.jpeg
Easily the best first day I’ve had with a folder. Unpacked it, flicked it…no play, beautiful action and near-perfect ergonomics. On top of that, it sharpened up to the best, easiest first edge I’ve had with a 10v class steel.

There’s a lot of hype surrounding certain models but with the Stretch 2, it seems well deserved. Obviously it’s still new to me but as far as first impressions go, this is best I’ve had. Based on the use I put it through today, I can only imagine it’ll further grow on me with time.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Bemo

Re: NKD! K390 Stretch: Best “first impression” yet

Post by Bemo »

Congrats! You have just purchased a fantastic knife. Use it in good health!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, this is hands down one of the best values in folding knives these days. Congrats, enjoy it!

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:26 pm

There’s a lot of hype surrounding certain models but with the Stretch 2, it seems well deserved. Obviously it’s still new to me but as far as first impressions go, this is best I’ve had. Based on the use I put it through today, I can only imagine it’ll further grow on me with time.

Sounds good!! Enjoy it!

I think that there actually always was too little hype surrounding the Stretch as a model (1 and 2). Most who actually tried one loved it, but not too many DID try.
Glad this obviously begims to change - probably took straight spine and K390 for that to happen.
For me just the "better PM2"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Now everyone will try to sell their k390 PM2s to swap them for the Stretch :winking-tongue
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:15 pm

Holy moley…that thing is stunning, man…
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

So the Stretch is a backlocking PM2 now... smart.
notorious fidgeteer
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

eventhorizon wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:54 am
Not only better lock (for me): Thinner, slicier blade (but still strong), for me better "edge profile" (long straight section instead of continous belly), better ergos (chamfered FRN), better carry (easier to slid the hand by the handle when knife in pocket).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

eventhorizon wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:54 am
I am certainly biased :winking-tongue , but added to my post above: Imo some more advantages of the Stretch over the PM2
- Longer grip area (better for really large hands)
- closed back, no comp.lock cutout make for a more comfortable feel in hand in "harder" use
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:20 am

Holy moley…that thing is stunning, man…
I see you are also a Micarta + tool steel guy - would love to see the collection!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have the original and the new K390 is on my short list of knives to add to my collection. I am really excited to see the new 4" version, though I am a bit bummed to hear it is going to be linerless. I like the feel/weight/balance of the linered Endura and Delica much more than their linerless Salt counterparts.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That straight spine Stretch has become my favorite mid-sized knife. It is fantastic. I love everything about it. The grip, the blade, the lock, everything. I think Sal got it just right.

Now...a VG-10 (or SPY27) model and a linerless model would be a good place to go from here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:24 am
I see you are also a Micarta + tool steel guy - would love to see the collection!
Someday I’ll drag em all out but this is my trio of “do it all”. What’s gonna be sweet is when I can find some canvas for the z-wear mule. I’m gonna be channeling Austin Powers for that photo shoot.
726E6FBB-50D3-4058-B24B-1B7723D56317.jpeg
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Matus wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:57 am
Now everyone will try to sell their k390 PM2s to swap them for the Stretch :winking-tongue
Don't know that I'd blame them. I think the Stretch 2 is a better design.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:19 am
Someday I’ll drag em all out but this is my trio of “do it all”. What’s gonna be sweet is when I can find some canvas for the z-wear mule. I’m gonna be channeling Austin Powers for that photo shoot.

726E6FBB-50D3-4058-B24B-1B7723D56317.jpeg
Halpern Titanium

Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Rinzler wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:46 pm

Halpern Titanium

Niiice…that’s what I want for the z-wear. I actually emailed them a couple weeks ago when I got it in and curiously, haven’t heard back from them yet.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:21 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:46 pm

Halpern Titanium
Niiice…that’s what I want for the z-wear. I actually emailed them a couple weeks ago when I got it in and curiously, haven’t heard back from them yet.
Email Jennifer, she is extremely responsive.

jennifer@halperntitanium.com
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

As far as folders go, I've got every K390 bladed Spyderco from the Lady Bug to the Stretch 2 except the Endura. I've found the steel is a breeze to sharpen. I've used the diamond Tri-Angles to reprofile the grind angle to 30°, then progressed to the CBN and then to the brown Tri-Angles. I'll give the edge a few passes on the 40°side of the Sharp Maker for a micro-bevel. This gives the steel a smooth but slightly sticky edge, and this works fine for me.

At work I will usually have to use double sided tape to hold parts on a sheet of aluminum. (for grit blasting) I'll slice the tape and peel back part of the paper backing or trim the tape along the edge of the aluminum. The steel is far harder than the aluminum so it doesn't affect the edge or even scratch the bevel. I've also trimmed the adhesive we use to laminate carbon fiber. It gets trimmed along the edge of the carbon and due to the rough edges you're bound to catch the edge of the blade. But again, the edge will hold for a long time.

I really like the Endela and the Stretch 2 for the size of their blades.
FK

Post by FK »

I am a long time fan of the Stretch.

Stretch 1
ZDP-189
Super Blue
HAP-40

Stretch 2
V-Toku2
K390

My present favorite is the K390,,, easily sharpens up to "sticky" sharp, apex quickly refreshed with diamonds on leather strop.

Regards,
FK
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Pokey wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:17 pm
I've found the steel is a breeze to sharpen. I've used the diamond Tri-Angles to reprofile the grind angle to 30°, then progressed to the CBN and then to the brown Tri-Angles. I'll give the edge a few passes on the 40°side of the Sharp Maker for a micro-bevel. This gives the steel a smooth but slightly sticky edge, and this works fine for me.
The diamond rods are coarser than CBN? I thought they were supposed to be comparable. If they are indeed coarser it would make sense for me to get a set. I’d like to have a finer diamond or CBN rod too.

I worked on my K390 ladybug for a bit Friday, and was getting annoyed with it in the brown rods. Put it down for a bit while I continued sharpening out some flat spots on my Zwear Shaman using the CBN rods… duh! Put the LB on the CBN rods and made progress! The browns are fine for refining the edge created by CBN.