NKD! K390 Stretch: Best “first impression” yet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pokey

Re: NKD! K390 Stretch: Best “first impression” yet

Post by Pokey »

I do believe the diamond Tri-Angles are more course than the CBN Tri-Angles. I at least see a more pronounced scratch pattern after using the diamonds. The CBN Tri-Angles leave a finer scratch pattern.
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Im super keen to get a Stretch, its been on my rader for ever and also very interested to try K390.

But I want the original Stretch blade shape - has there been a definitive answer on whether this combo will be made? I have seen the question posed a few times, I haven't been able to find a answer though.
Last edited by Mocean on Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Mocean wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:54 pm
Im super keen to get a Stretch, its been on my rader for ever and also very interested to try K390.

But I want the original Stretch blade shape - has there been a definitive answer on whether this combo will be made? I have seen the question posed a few time, I haven't been able to find a answer though.

I don't believe I've seen anything definitive on a Drop Point K390 Stretch, I would be interested in one as well.
So it goes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The straight spine is a hot seller, I'd say. I don't think we will see the other blade shape for a while, though we might. I like the straight spine so much better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Fair enough, the straight spine does seem popular. Oh well, grass is always greener!! Ill have to try to track down a Stretch 2.
FK

Post by FK »

Mocean,
I agree on preferring the drop point original blade shape however, the K390 steel is absolutely excellent.
My favorite in the traditional drop point is the Stretch 1 in HAP-40 and ZDP-189.
The straight spine blade is almost identical in profile to the PM2 and is too thin in the point area.

Regards,
FK
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FK wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:12 am
Mocean,
I agree on preferring the drop point original blade shape however, the K390 steel is absolutely excellent.
My favorite in the traditional drop point is the Stretch 1 in HAP-40 and ZDP-189.
The straight spine blade is almost identical in profile to the PM2 and is too thin in the point area.

Regards,
FK
I prefer the original blade shape too...
and: for me the Stretch 1 in HAP 40 is perhaps the best folder ever made (and it can still be found!)

/ The straight spine blade of the Stretch 2 looks very similar to a PM2 blade indeed.
It actually IS in the spine, but not in the edge profile (long totally straight section before the pronounced belly (Stretch) vs continuos belly/curve (PM2) - for me the former works better, but is also a lot more rare in Spydercos (except wharnies of course))
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really prefer the Straight Spine Stretch. I was not remotely interested in the other blade shape, but I jumped on the SSS K390 like a duck on a june bug.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

I have a Bradley Folder and a PM2 and I much prefer the Bradley blade shape, though its a bit heavy in the pocket. So this drew me to the Stretch. Will have to get my hands one one.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:19 am
That spine recurve makes for an incredible thumb rest when you’re choked way up. It feels really positive and locked in
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:19 am
That spine recurve makes for an incredible thumb rest when you’re choked way up. It feels really positive and locked in
Exactly. This is what I prefer in the original blade shape plus its tip: For me the best of both the pointy- and the still-robust world... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

The more I look at the SS K390 Stretch the more its growing on me haha, maybe I just haven't bought a new knife in ages. I think I'll just pull the trigger.

Funny, its a Japan made knife yet stuff like this is so hard to buy now in Japan.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mocean wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:09 pm
The more I look at the SS K390 Stretch the more its growing on me haha, maybe I just haven't bought a new knife in ages. I think I'll just pull the trigger.

Funny, its a Japan made knife yet stuff like this is so hard to buy now in Japan.
I hadn't bought a new Spyderco in months until the K390 SS Stretch came out. It's one trigger pull you won't regret.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

That dorsal fin on the stretch handle - how is it for you larger (fat fingered) folks?
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Mocean wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:54 pm

But I want the original Stretch blade shape - has there been a definitive answer on whether this combo will be made? I have seen the question posed a few times, I haven't been able to find a answer though.
I'd be interested in this as well.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:07 pm
That dorsal fin on the stretch handle - how is it for you larger (fat fingered) folks?
I'm not sure I understand what the "dorsal fin" is, but I can say with confidence that the Stretch is just about the most comfortable folding handle I've ever had the pleasure of using. I wear XL Gloves, fwiw.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sorry, I guess it's more of a pectoral fin (referring to that little bit that sticks out in the handle that acts as a finger groove
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The Stretch and/or Stretch 2 are knives I only discovered recently and the blade shapes it offers and the whole knife in itself seems soo soo good ! K390 is the cherry on top
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

OK, between this thread and Doc Dan's "Manix 2 LW Killer" thread, I just ordered one of these.

This was one I had on my short list, but planned on getting a Kapara first; but these threads pushed me over the edge. I'll (hopefully) get a Kapara at Christmas probably, if still in stock.

As much as I like/need corrosion resistance living in a humid environment, I wanted to try K390. Unfortunately I'm one that just doesn't quite get along with the finger bumps on the Endura or Endela, The ergonomics for those is just OK for me with a bit of a hot spot at the first bump.

With all of the ergonomic praise the Stretch 2 gets, hopefully this will work well for me. It's also nice to know that if I love it, I can get the same handle with quite a different blade (VG-10 and a different shape) if I want.

My concern now is the possibility of getting a lemon, with all of the recent reports of Seki-City knives with loose screws, off-center blades, etc. Hopefully posting in this thread (Best first impression) will bring me some luck in that regard. :thinking :smlling-eyes

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)