Magna Cut Above

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Magna Cut Above

Post by Fireman »

Believe!

Looks like Creely figured out a great heat treat.

I am getting surprised by the stainless properties. My prediction is the market will be flooded with this good steel in 2 years time. I hope Dr. Larrin is making a percentage of the steel sales. He will be Scrooge McDuck rich if so.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
DansGearAddiction

Re: Magna Cut Above

Post by DansGearAddiction »

This seems like an incredibly impressive steel, particularly with a 15-17° edge. Pretty incredible to see a steel that's so well rounded in retention, hardness and corrosion resistance. Really looking forward to a Mule Team release (and hopefully production knives too). I'd like to see more testing from others, but seems Larrin may have a winner here.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I can’t wait to see some Spyderco models with it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One of my favorite things happening with this steel is how people seem to finally be focusing on how well rounded a steel can be and not just on edge retention alone. It feels like the community has been focused solely on edge retention for a very long time now, it's refreshing to see maybe a shift in priorities, and having a brand new steel along with it is just amazing.
Last edited by Evil D on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

I hope this steel will become easier to order down the road. I definitely want to get my hands on it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:54 am
One of my favorite things happening with this steel is how people seem finally be focusing on how well rounded a steel can be and not just on edge retention alone. It feels like the community has been focused solely on edge retention for a very long time now, it's refreshing to see maybe a shift in priorities, and having a brand new steel along with it is just amazing.
And also seeing the benefits of high nitrogen content in a steel that is actually going for edge performance rather than pure corrosion resistance.

Edit: looking at the formula again it's only 0.2% which isn't particularly high.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife ... uide--3368

If Blade HQ rated this knife I think it would get a 9 for edge retention, a 9 for corrosion resistance, a 7 for toughness and a 5 for ease of sharpening. I think the Blade HQ ratings are a bit off on some steels for example, LC200N should be a 10 on corrosion and a 8 or 9 on toughness. I think Magna Cut is the next M390 in terms of a premium performance steel but at a better cost.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:50 am
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife ... uide--3368

If Blade HQ rated this knife I think it would get a 9 for edge retention, a 9 for corrosion resistance, a 7 for toughness and a 5 for ease of sharpening. I think the Blade HQ ratings are a bit off on some steels for example, LC200N should be a 10 on corrosion and a 8 or 9 on toughness. I think Magna Cut is the next M390 in terms of a premium performance steel but at a better cost.

That list is so subjective though. H1 is listed as mid range, when it's among the best you can buy in terms of corrosion resistance. Lists like this should come with a disclaimer that says "we value edge retention above all other traits and so that's what the ranking is based on".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

So the edge retention is better than K390? Isn't that better than expected? Now I am curious what will happen at 64HRC.
Also, the maker must be really good at bringing out the maximum from steels.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:29 am
So the edge retention is better than K390? Isn't that better than expected? Now I am curious what will happen at 64HRC.
I don't remember him making a comparison to K390 in the video. He was saying that it was similar to Vanax and M390 for edge retention.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
kobold

Post by kobold »

Larrin wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:15 am
kobold wrote:
I don't remember him making a comparison to K390 in the video. He was saying that it was similar to Vanax and M390 for edge retention.

I was looking at the numbers in his spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1242742384

Under the 'Summary' tab we see Vanax (position #11) is just below Maxamet and K390 is at position #20, M390 is at position #21.

It is not updated for Magnacut yet tho.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:21 am
Larrin wrote:
kobold wrote:

I was looking at the numbers in his spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1242742384

Under the 'Summary' tab we see Vanax (position #11) is just below Maxamet and K390 is at position #20, M390 is at position #21.

If you look at the mules chart the k390 is much better than the m390. I'm curious what K390 stat he used for the chart you referenced.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I’m looking forward to this steel in a Spyderco model. I just hope it’s released in large enough numbers to be readily available in the market. My nightmare scenario is a flash batch/sprint run dribbling of limited availability for a year or two.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Matus

Post by Matus »

I think we do need to prepare for the fact that some limited runs will most likely predate serial production in MagnaCut. And I mean not only the Mule.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
One of my favorite things happening with this steel is how people seem to finally be focusing on how well rounded a steel can be and not just on edge retention alone. It feels like the community has been focused solely on edge retention for a very long time now, it's refreshing to see maybe a shift in priorities, and having a brand new steel along with it is just amazing.
I completely agree! I'm on the well-rounded band wagon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:07 am
Evil D wrote:
Same here. I feel a bit duped for falling for the edge retention uber alles crowd. :confounded
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:10 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:07 am
Evil D wrote:
Same here. I feel a bit duped for falling for the edge retention uber alles crowd. :confounded
Nothing wrong with focusing exclusively on edge retention, if that's what interests you. Or any other single attribute. If all anyone cared about was balance, we probably wouldn't have close to the variety in steels that are available today.

For the record, I'm also glad to see more attention given to balancing the various parameters. I think Magnacut will be a home run in this regard.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would LOVE to see Magnacut become a standard steel in Spyderco’s regular lineup. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening any time in the near or foreseeable future.

Jim
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:21 am
Larrin wrote:
kobold wrote:

I love Cedric and Ada, but the guy admits that his tests are far from scientific. One of the things he doesn't control for is the fact that he has improved his sharpening ability over time. I also think that CATRA and cutting rope against a board are pretty significantly different tests.

If you watch enough of his videos you'll notice that knives don't all fail the test the same way. Some of them just have their apex worn down. Some of them get spots that don't slice clean because of micro-chipping. Because of this I suspect that his test is more of a holistic edge retention test where both wear resistance and toughness play a role in how long the blade continues to slice paper after cutting rope against the board. I would be very interested to see a plot of C&A's results against Larrin's CATRA and toughness results multiplied to see if there is a correlation.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Dr. Larrin
Is there going to be any changes from the initial melt to the production melt? Did you make any alterations to the steel or are they doing anything different to the process?