Please bring back the C54GPBN Calypso!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: Please bring back the C54GPBN Calypso!!!

Post by yablanowitz »

Need to update my picture, I've added a couple since I took this. Too bad I still haven't added any photography skill.

cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:03 am
Need to update my picture, I've added a couple since I took this. Too bad I still haven't added any photography skill.

So ... that's where they all went to!!! :ghost You were a very smart guy.

CG
Last edited by cycleguy on Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:03 am

The smooth micarta ones are my favorites. Just very good in hand.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ten years ago when I was getting heavy into Spyderco the micarta ones could be had on EBay for around $150 pretty regularly. I remember seeing serrated ones go for as low as $120. Not grabbing one is probably my biggest Spyderco regret.

At least I was able to snag a sprint.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Definitely need big knives in the line up. Gotta agree the micarta calypso was a masterpiece.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Like Darby, I had yet to learn the beauty of micarta Calypsos when I joined this madness.

I still don’t have one, but my much-admired G10 sprint will tide me over until I do.

The lines of this model strike me as far more graceful and beautiful than my much-admired Police4 and Native Chief models.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vanka

Post by vanka »

Everything C54 is an instant buy for me. I honestly admit i was having dreams about it.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

So I aligned the Calypso over the Chief. When the top edge of the handles are matched up, the blade tip of the Chief is about 1/4" lower than the Calypso. So, the Chief would be more of a drop point and have more arc from the handle tail to the blade tip.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'd rather like to see the Caly 3.5 return, with a new Japanese steel... ;)

The ratio of blade length vs width is more appealing in my eyes.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Yes please carbon fiber and s90v or literally anything else.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

archangel wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:37 pm
I'd rather like to see the Caly 3.5 return, with a new Japanese steel... ;)

The ratio of blade length vs width is more appealing in my eyes.
Sorry, but you’re wrong :winking-tongue
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

polished maroon micarta and sg2
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like the knife but here it goes.

First of all if you want this big beautiful knife as an actual user then it needs jimping. Both the finger choil and thumb ramp are very smooth, and neither one locks your hand in very well.

I would also like to see the thumb ramp be a little higher and a slighyly bigger spydie hole. But it doesnt really "need" it.

As far as spydercos current big backlock offerings go, I do think the police 4 ltwt and native chief are better options.

The main thing the calypso has going for it is it has a slightly less hand filling and arguably more refined handle than the police 4. With that said, between the police 4, calypso, and chief, you can use any of those handles all day everyday doing all the same stuff and be just fine.

While the design is very slim and thin, I dont think the difference in thickness in the pocket or hand makes much difference.

I would love to see a lightweight version sitting in between the endura 4 ltwt and police 4 ltwt.
The problem is theres an upcoming native chief lightweight.

A carbon fiber damascus sprint would be amazing!
Attachments
20210806_175034.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:29 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:49 am
I would be all for a Sprint Run of the C-54 but I would want one with TEETH
We’re on the same wavelength!
The more I think about it, the more I want one which is dangerous lol
The coolest variation of the the Calypso junior was the burgundy FRN in ZDP 189 and the golden bug on its blade. Imagine something similar in a bigger blade and you see what I mean...
Serrations just sweeten the deal.

In reality of course I just want to try the whole Calypso family, even knowing that’s a tall ask.
Unfortunately, by my entrance upon Spyderco knives just a few years ago, many of the models I now know would be a great fit for me were long gone.
Yes I have a Burgundy Caly JR ZDP-189>> but I would rather have another rendition of this C-54 Calypso>> the big Calypso as I like to call it. For a large folder it has such excellent balance and for a full flat grind blade it cuts like a laser even with VG-10 steel.

It's been said on this forum that full flat grind blades make excellent fully serrated blades. I've had few regrets trading knives over the years. But when I traded my last full SE C-54 Calypso it didn't take a week before I wish that I had it back.

Of all the great designs that Sal has done over the years this one is one of my top 3 favorites for sure>> in SE & PE both.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

God'sMyJudge wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:58 pm
Yes please carbon fiber and s90v or literally anything else.
I could go for that combo>> but I'm not sure how good S90V is for serrated edges. It might be all right. But for a plain edged C-54 that would be great.

When they finally get the C-60 Ayoob done I think this might be the next one I really beat the drum for in both edge types. Because this is one of the few models that I like just as much in SE as I do in PE.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:12 pm
I like the knife but here it goes.

First of all if you want this big beautiful knife as an actual user then it needs jimping. Both the finger choil and thumb ramp are very smooth, and neither one locks your hand in very well.

I would also like to see the thumb ramp be a little higher and a slighyly bigger spydie hole. But it doesnt really "need" it.

As far as spydercos current big backlock offerings go, I do think the police 4 ltwt and native chief are better options.
I would love to see a lightweight version sitting in between the endura 4 ltwt and police 4 ltwt.
The problem is theres an upcoming native chief lightweight.

A carbon fiber damascus sprint would be amazing!
Funny that these are actually some of the last things I’d want to see changed about the design, but I get where you’re coming from as those features are part of what makes the Police or Chief great!
The smooth ramp and choil as well as the less pronounced hump set it apart from the others.
Those things make it more sleek, in my mind, with relatively minimal compromise in function.

I’m firmly in the boat which is indifferent towards gimping, so if it degrades the form of a beautiful knife I’d rather it not be there.

Glad we do all seem to agree that we want more of the Calypso family, though!
Last edited by Cl1ff on Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t think it needs jimping. The C54 was designed in the first place to be a large gents knife, not a hard use or utility knife. It should remain a large classy refined knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I agree. But that C54BMS is a beast, gentleman's knife or not.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:50 pm
I don’t think it needs jimping. The C54 was designed in the first place to be a large gents knife, not a hard use or utility knife. It should remain a large classy refined knife.
Facts.

Jimping has it's place. Just, not on the Calypso.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I ran outlines of the two knives (Native Chief & Calypso). You can say they are basically the same knife and claim the one has filled the role of the other; however, in hand, they are very different and really are two completely different knives.

As others have mentioned, The Caly family is too good not to be around anymore and it should be standard production goods receiving its due CQI.

For me, the sweet spot of the family is the Caly 3 and the Calypso. The Caly 3.5 and Calypso Jr not doing for me what the other two do.

If these aren't reintroduced I hope they get picked up as an exclusive retro offering. However, a FRN version would be my highest interest.

Now to get my hand on that micarta model.

CG
Attachments
IMG_2677 (2).JPG