Please bring back the C54GPBN Calypso!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Is it just me; What a wonderful knife! Where did it go???

G10, Carbon Fiber, FRN and assorted flavors of steel! Exclusives, sprints, regular production.

Screw construction.

To get started, FRN K390 works for me.

:bug-red-white :bug-white-red :bug-red :bug-white

CG
Attachments
IMG_2676 (2).JPG
Last edited by cycleguy on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bolster

Re: Please bring back the C54GPBN Calypso!!!

Post by Bolster »

Need Photo. Beautiful knife. Wish I'd snagged one.

I'll have one of whatever Cycleguy is having...
Attachments
calypso.png
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lovely design, one of my favorites from Sal. Pinned construction was a deal breaker for me though.

I'd definitely consider buying any future runs of them, especially if they switched to screw construction.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have always loved the lines of this knife. It's a svelte design.
-Nick :bug-red
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I absolutely love the Calypso line. I have 3 Calypso Jrs but not a full size. I would love to see its return, especially with linerless FRN like the Calypso Jr. And please use the fish scale FRN pattern!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree, great knife. The Chief however is the new C54. Better lockup and screw construction.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:19 pm
I agree, great knife. The Chief however is the new C54. Better lockup and screw construction.

Have to agree with this. I guess it comes down to your preference for thumb ramp or no ramp, and I greatly prefer none. Also it would seem the Police 4 is quite similar too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

While I would generally agree with Darby and David about the Chief and P4 basically filling that role, as someone who’s tried them all, the Calypso has the most comfortable handle IMHO. As much as I love the Chief, the handle ergos to me are just a titch off so each of them have their subtle finer points (and drawbacks). Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

If given the choice, I’d choose the Calypso entirely because the blade is prettier. It’s functional design may also fit my preferences a tad better, but the swedge and long/narrow blade are extremely attractive to me.
It’s the perfect midway point of the similar knives in terms of design. Maybe it’d be cool to see a sprint, if there really is not enough room/demand in the current production line.
However I recall there being something planned for its smaller counterpart (?), so I hope that can be successful and expanded upon!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:07 pm
I have always loved the lines of this knife. It's a svelte design.
It was before the Sprint added 50% to its' weight.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Don’t think I would have been interested in this before I picked up a few Native Chiefs. Now I’m sold on those dimensions and blade profile. A new release (ideally in screwed construction) would get my money.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:16 pm
While I would generally agree with Darby and David about the Chief and P4 basically filling that role, as someone who’s tried them all, the Calypso has the most comfortable handle IMHO. As much as I love the Chief, the handle ergos to me are just a titch off so each of them have their subtle finer points (and drawbacks). Cheers, Radioactive
+2, Ditto on the ergos of the Calypso!!! Fits my hand extremely well choked up in the finger choil or holding behind the finger choil. Like the hump (which isn't jimped in case you didn't notice). No dent. P4 OAL is about an inch more; Chief is much closer in size but for me the ergos aren't up to par with the Calypso. Also, much more slender than the NC.

CG
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:16 pm
+2, Ditto on the ergos of the Calypso!!! Fits my hand extremely well choked up in the finger choil or holding behind the finger choil. Like the hump (which isn't jimped in case you didn't notice). No dent. P4 OAL is about an inch more; Chief is much closer in size but for me the ergos aren't up to par with the Calypso. Also, much more slender than the NC.

Ditto the third! The Calypso shape is magical. However it would be nice if the Calypso clip was like the Caly, at the end of the handle, for deep carry with a wire clip.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely a design that's always caught my eye, just not the price they go for these days. Here I thought the same as others, and that the Chief seems like a more modernized version of the Calypso...but now these other comments on the Calypso will likely still have me keep my eye out for a rare deal.

This place is bad news :straight-face
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

I do agree that the Calypso has more class and I probably prefer it as well. The negative blade angle and swedge add a lot. It is also noticeably thinner. The Chief is more modern and more utilitarian. The Calypso has a gents knife quality to it that the Chief lacks.

The Chief is just a more updated knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Just curious - the Calypso was made by Moki right? I haven’t seen any Spydies come from Moki in quite some time (correct me if I’m wrong) - would this make a sprint more difficult or less likely?
bearfacedkiller

The all stainless Kopa, SB Caly Jr and the HAP40 Caly3 were the last three Moki folders I think.

I believe they are still making some fixed blades. The Moran, Street Beat and Street Bowie. This is based on the style of the tang stamps though and I have never been able to confirm the maker.
-Darby
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The C-54 big Calypso model was a carefully hidden secret during the late 90s and was overshadowed by so many great models that emerged in that time period. But of all the Calypso models the C-54 is my favorite. The original micarta handled serrated version was truly like having a small chain saw handy.

Another classic model that at one time was available in full SE but yet only a few ever got to enjoy it in SE.

I would be all for a Sprint Run of the C-54 but I would want one with TEETH
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

samdasnake wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:23 pm
Just curious - the Calypso was made by Moki right? I haven’t seen any Spydies come from Moki in quite some time (correct me if I’m wrong) - would this make a sprint more difficult or less likely?
The blade is stamped Japan. It is not stamped Seki City. This is consistent with the two Caly 3's I own.

CG
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:49 am
I would be all for a Sprint Run of the C-54 but I would want one with TEETH
We’re on the same wavelength!
The more I think about it, the more I want one which is dangerous lol
The coolest variation of the the Calypso junior was the burgundy FRN in ZDP 189 and the golden bug on its blade. Imagine something similar in a bigger blade and you see what I mean...
Serrations just sweeten the deal.

In reality of course I just want to try the whole Calypso family, even knowing that’s a tall ask.
Unfortunately, by my entrance upon Spyderco knives just a few years ago, many of the models I now know would be a great fit for me were long gone.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: