Could you EDC only a Ladybug or Manbug?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

EDC Jester, Manbug, or Ladybug only for a month.

Yes, I can do that.
55%
No, it is too small.
31%
Are you out of your mind?
7%
I already EDC only of these knives as my main user.
7%

Total votes: 95

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Could you EDC only a Ladybug or Manbug?

Post by Doc Dan »

Could you EDC a Manbug, Ladybug, or Jester, only, for a month? A lot of people think it is too small. The blade is about the same length as the much larger Squeak, on these knives. I have done this years past. I decided I need to do it, again. Most times the only thing I need is something handy to open a package or box. I think sometimes I just carry a bigger knife for no reason other than I like it, but don't really need it. I have been gravitating to smaller knives for a while, now. I do not seem to be hurt in any fashion by doing so. Anybody want to try it and see if it will do what you really need doing? :usflag
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JakeXman

Re: Could you EDC only a Ladybug or Manbug?

Post by JakeXman »

I think my LB or Jester pretty much encompass my EDC needs as a college student, but my wants are an entirely different matter. I’ll give it a shot for the month of August.
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Matus

Post by Matus »

I think the blade would actually manage most of what I would need, but the tiny handle is something I would not enjoy.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Holland

Post by Holland »

Matus wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:51 pm
I think the blade would actually manage most of what I would need, but the tiny handle is something I would not enjoy.
sums up my thoughts. The dragonfly is in my pocket 90% of the time and it has a very similar sized blade, but a more comfortable handle
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Since a comfortable handle is a must for my old hands, the Chaparral is about as small as I am willing to EDC.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

At this point it's just a matter of pride and having an extensive collection of models and blade steels. The month that I would run into a problem in my everyday life that couldn't be accomplished with only a mini-spydie, would be the exception.

I could easily get through most months with only the K390 Ladybug on my keychain; the larger and more extensive my collection gets the more apparent that becomes.

Edit to add: Also the more extensive my collection becomes the more I have knives stashed everywhere that they would ever be needed, so the EDC becomes less vital...
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

On one hand I have always been a huge supporter of how capable these knives are, I think I even made a thread about how the Ladybug Salt is pound for pound the highest performance knife Spyderco makes (a title which might more rightfully belong to the ARK) but overall it could never be my only knife unless I had absolutely no other choice because I often need either more blade length or the ability to use the knife harder and sometimes there's either too little knife to hold onto to put power into a cut or realistically you're asking to break something and potentially hurt yourself.

So, almost but not quite. I always have one on my keys though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I probably EDC'ed the Manbug salt for about 6 months straight after I got it.

It was a very intentional purchase, so it wasn't surprising to find that it worked so well, even though it was one of my first serrated knives, and the very first one I've ever EDC'ed.

My reasoning, that eventually materialized in buying the MBS, was exactly the fact that my every day cutting needs (more specifically for work and just causal use when I'm not doing anything specific) does not require a long blade/cutting edge.

Since I also like to wear regular jeans and keep my pockets uncluttered, I really don't want to carry more knife than I need as my EDC.

I think I've unconsciously neglected the MBS in the past, partly because of the serrations, but after reading and learning more about serrations on this forum, serrations were no longer a deterrent. I also think the lack of a pocket clip contributed to my previous neglect, but in the role I now pictured it, that wasn't an issue. With my change in how perceived these two attributes, I kind of rediscovered the knife and it suddenly made perfect sense:
  • It was small enough to go in the 5th pocket of any jeans, meaning that it solves the pocket clutter issue.
  • And although our knife laws are ambiguous, there are no specific restrictions on locking blades. Being otherwise small, un-stabby and toy-ish looking, it's as close to a legal knife you will ever come, i.e. kind of solving the legal issue (to the degree it's possible).
  • The un-threatening nature of the knife that makes it legally suitable also contribute to make it socially acceptable. My work environment is by no means against knives, but many are still not used to the idea of carrying personal folding knives, so I like to be responsible and promote utility over fear.
  • Although my hands aren't exactly small, my grip is quite narrow, so I don't give up a lot of control by choosing the MB over lets say a DF2. And it's well within my needs.
  • I've never wanted, needed or understood lanyards, but on a 5th pocket knife it arguably makes more sense than a pocket clip.

For full transparency, I'm now actively looking for alternatives to the MBS, but that has nothing to do with the size/platform.
The fact is that, although I've really come to appreciate serrations through using this knife (especially the forward one), serrations are not ideal for the precision cutting that is sometimes required when working with electronics and electrical systems.
Currently I'm looking at small wharncliffes. I've never owned one in any size, but I can't help thinking that it might be the best compromise for the variation of cutting tasks I do on a regular basis.
I've also discovered/gotten used to back pocket carry lately, which opens the door for slightly larger knives, but the Manbug is still a viable choice, and size matter even there, so I'm not considering anything lager than a DF2.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I selected “yes” for this one because of course, I COULD. I could also spend a month only eating potatoes and drinking water. It wouldn’t be my first choice but I would “survive the ordeal”.

I don’t have anything against the bugs. I’m sure they’re fine models and fit a certain niche quite nicely…but I prefer knives whose scales, alone, equal the bugs’ entire length. That being said, I have an odd affinity for the dragonfly. It’s not much bigger but for its mass, it really packs a punch. I could EDC either of my dragonflies for a month and be perfectly happy.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

It wouldn't be my first choice, but yes I certainly could. I have EDC'd a Manbug on occasion.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Just to reiterate on what Airlsee is pointing out; EDCing a knife doesn’t mean that it’s the only knife at your disposal.
It’s just the convenience knife that can handle most of your regular cutting needs, foreseen or otherwise.
Like anyone else (at least around here), I would still take an outdoor knife for outdoor stuff, a hard use knife for construction work, or reach for a bigger backup blade stashed in my car, backpack, office drawer etc. whenever my EDC knife doesn’t cut it, so to speak.

For this reason I got by quite well even without EDCing any knife for some years, but I’ve concluded that EDCing some type of cutting implement is more convenient than always having to reach for those dedicated knives.

How much, and what type of cutting one do with some regularity will typically determine
the balance between size and performance one finds convenient. I’m quite certain that my preference would skew to something bigger if I was working in a blue collar trade or some other more practical type of work than my current office job.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like big knives but I could make it work. As already stated, it is the tiny handle that would be the problem.

For that reason I would almost rather edc a box cutter. It has a minimal blade but a full grip.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:01 pm
Could you EDC a Manbug, Ladybug, or Jester, only, for a month? A lot of people think it is too small. The blade is about the same length as the much larger Squeak, on these knives. I have done this years past. I decided I need to do it, again. Most times the only thing I need is something handy to open a package or box. I think sometimes I just carry a bigger knife for no reason other than I like it, but don't really need it. I have been gravitating to smaller knives for a while, now. I do not seem to be hurt in any fashion by doing so. Anybody want to try it and see if it will do what you really need doing? :usflag
I have carried a Micro Dyad almost every day for more than a year. It is 100% possible.

The only time I ever "needed" a larger knife, was at a fair when I was cutting a Gyro in half. It still got the job done, albeit messily.

Would I recommend it to everyone? No.
But, I have had almost zero issues with them.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've been EDCing my new Jester since I got it. I expect I'll probably carry it exclusively until sometime in late August.

It's not a ladybug, but it's a similar size. :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i could probably do it, but i just don't want to. i feel more prepared with my caribbean than i do with my ladybug, and i feel even more prepared with both. both are highly effective tools, but i can't do all of the same jobs with only one of them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yep, I could do that easily.
-Nick :bug-red
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I keep a Manbug with a lanyard in my watch pocket most days. I tend to go it for most EDC tasks. It’s less blade to clean tape off of for one thing! The Manbug is much more doable for me than the slimmer Ladybug/Jeater handle, as small of a difference as that is.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Dragonfly and the Chaparral are small enough for me, yet they are big enough for a four finger grip.

I like the Vic Cadet as a backup, because a four finger grip is doable.
It comes with a 2.5" blade - 1/2" longer than what's on the Ladybug (although I use the tools more).

My backup to a backup is the 1.5" knife inside my SwissCard, it allows a two finger grip (which I almost never use, so it is still very sharp).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Could I? Yes, sure. But I like other knives too much for it to ever be a likely scenario for me :winking-tongue
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I used to EDC a Victorinox, so sure I could. However, like others I have too many others to settle on just a Jester/Manbug/Ladybug.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001