Detent Strength on Sage 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chronovore

Detent Strength on Sage 5?

Post by chronovore »

For those who have a Sage 5, how is the detent strength? I'm curious to get a ballpark for what is regular. Mine is weaker than I'd like.

I realize that the compression lock is different than a regular liner lock, but the concept seems to be the same. Has anyone adjusted theirs to increase lock bar tension?
mikey177

Re: Detent Strength on Sage 5?

Post by mikey177 »

I have a Sage 5 LW. The detent feels the same as on my PM2. Both remain closed even if I try to shake them open.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mine's actually what I consider to be average. Mine's from the first run and it actually came with a little detent slop. The detent strength itself is pretty good and I have shake it really hard several times before if comes open.

It seems like the detents can vary quite a bit even within the same model. For example, I've had PM2s with really strong detents and some that pretty light. It's pretty easy to improve. I don't tweak the lock bar. I prefer to open the detent hole a little so the ball sits in there deeper
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Mine was weak out of the box but I found it was covered in solidified lubricant around the base of the detent ball. Once I disassembled and cleaned it out, much better. No complaints now. Wouldn’t put it in pocket without the spine against the pocket seam; but that’s no different from any other compression lock for me.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Mine is roughly the same as my PM 2’s. Neither of my PM’s or my Sage 5 will shake open.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: