Lost in the Shuffle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Lost in the Shuffle

Post by wrdwrght »

What with Spyderco’s production of so many variants in the Endura, Stretch, Military, Native, Manix, Sage, and Chaparral lines—not to forget all the collaborations we enjoy—it’s easy to overlook some of Sal’s other gems, as I seem to have done in 2017.

In that year, he gave us the Caribbean, which, ironically, also served to mask three of his other gems that I note here. They have remained largely unsung.

First, I’ll just say that it was not my brilliance but my boredom—with the endless exclusives (≠sprint)—that got me woke to these three gems, one at a time, during this relentless pandemic. And here they are:
In hand is the ATR2 (C70), in the background are the D’Allara3 (C82) (upper) and Lil’Temp3 (C69) (lower).

Being iterations, each of these models has its own history (ATR and Lil’Temperance debuted in Golden, the D’Allara in Japan). But as a bunch they have something unique in common. Not (just) the black G10 handles, not (just) an S30V blade, but that these two materials were fashioned in Seki-City, where these materials have been uncommon, especially in combination (perhaps I’ve missed others in this combination). In my opinion, the build-quality of these three is on par with Golden, right down to etchings on the tang.

Some passing observations about my most recently acquired, the cobra-hooded ATR2: It has a blade-handle ratio as ridiculously accommodating as the Military Model’s; a large hand can find a comfortable grip behind the finger-guard, whereas such a grip on a Stretch1 is maybe too snug. Speaking of the Stretch, the ATR2 has a choil of the same size and shape as the Stretch1 (but unjimped and with more on the handle), and it has an edge shaped much like the Stretch1, but a tad longer, yet in the same blade length. Lastly, my compression-locked specimen has a detent with an opening resistance that feels greater that any compression-lock I have from Golden or Taichung. My Seki-City-produced VG10 Superleaf‘s detent is almost as resistant. Coincidence?

Of the bunch, the D’Allara3 and Lil’Temp3 are handle-forward, just like the diverting Caribbean. Seems like Sal had a theme in mind leading up to 2017 which has, ahem, carried forward to the recent Rock Jumper.

And of the bunch, the ATR2 and Lil’Temp3 are MBC-rated to join the fray. How many other models has Sal designed with this application an intent?

Finally, have rising material and production costs squeezed Sal out of using Japan as a way to drop such a bunch of compelling designs in so short a period of time ever again?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Snacktime

Re: Lost in the Shuffle

Post by Snacktime »

Love my ATR2, only thing missing is finger choil jumping! Maybe we need an ATR3?
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I'd love a D'allara with the Manix ball bearing lock cage. That round/smooth ball looks tough to actuate with gloved or slippery fingers.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Thanks for showing. Cool knives. I've been eyeing an atr2 for a while. May have to pull the trigger on one. Cheers
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I find the ATR2 and D’Allara both intriguing and both can be purchased for around $200. For me my interest is somewhat diminished by all that black G10 and S30V. I would like to see Navy blue or an olive green G10 appearance on Spyderco knives, any color really besides black. I suspect changing from S30 to anything else adds cost but BD1N or XHP would Increase the desirability of these knives a lot for me even if they cost more.
That said the last thing I need is another knife in the queue! I am very curious about one more thing though. If you have a Manix2 how does it’s lock operation compare to the D’Allara? The ball looks slippery but what’s it really like?
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Good call highlighting these knives OP!

The Li'l Temperance 3 is probably my favourite Seki-made folder in terms of design and personal ergonomics, and the lightweight version that Sal said is in development is my most anticipated future Spyderco release.

I've always been intrigued by the ATR 2 (I love the handle shape), but can't really justify the cost of getting one since I already have a PM2 & a Shaman, which sort of occupy the same niche in my modest knife collection. I'd still pick one up for the right price, though.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The LT3 is a magnificent "little" knife.

Basically a Baby Caribbean.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
David R

Post by David R »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:55 am
In my opinion, the build-quality of these three is on par with Golden, right down to etchings on the tang.
Interest post. Agree on the quality. My D'Allara has excellent fit and finish.
metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 pm
I'd love a D'allara with the Manix ball bearing lock cage. That round/smooth ball looks tough to actuate with gloved or slippery fingers.
I like the D'Allara and I appreciate the nod to a deserving hero. I still carry mine. I find it curious that the knife named after a first responder has a lock that would be difficult for a first responder to use (could be wet, or covered in mud or blood).

My wife is a first responder. The only locks she has been ok carrying are a frame lock, axis lock, or some liner locks. She always looks at it as "what happens when this is wet or covered with blood." She's also looking for how easy it is or isn't to clean. I suspect a caged BB lock would be fine. I don't recall her feedback on the Manix.

From a cleaning perspective, she appreciates that a frame lock leaves very few places for bad stuff to hide.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

kodai78 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 am
If you have a Manix2 how does it’s lock operation compare to the D’Allara? The ball looks slippery but what’s it really like?
The ball is indeed slippery and does require you to use your thumb and index-finger differently than you would on a Manix2 (I have a bunch and love’em).

More a thumb-dig than a pinch on the D’Allara3.

The Manix2 is certainly easier to close, but its cage, considering its construction and placement, is waiting to fail, and did in some early versions.

But, hey, things wear out. We could talk about late lockup and subsequent lock-rock on framelocks…

kodai78

Post by kodai78 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:28 pm
kodai78 wrote:
The ball is indeed slippery and does require you to use your thumb and index-finger differently than you would on a Manix2 (I have a bunch and love’em).

The Manix2 is certainly easier to close, but its cage, considering its construction and placement, is waiting to fail, and did in some early versions.

But, hey, things wear out. We could talk about late lockup and subsequent lock-rock on framelocks…
Thanks for the reply, I hope to handle one before I buy it but I’m leaning towards purchase.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

kodai78 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
kodai78 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I hope to handle one before I buy it but I’m leaning towards purchase.
Bear in mind that Sal, on hearing the D’Allara3 closing complaint, actually pushed back on the complaint, a rare thing for him.

kodai78

Post by kodai78 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:04 pm
kodai78 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
kodai78 wrote:

Bear in mind that Sal, on hearing the D’Allara3 closing complaint, actually pushed back on the complaint, a rare thing for him.
That’s interesting. I don’t know what to make of it but it’s intriguing. I suppose that the design turned out the way it should. For a reason he intended. That a user might not perceive.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't think the lil temp 3 was lost in the shuffle. i would've loved that knife, but it was way too expensive for what it was. even when it went on clearance for $99, i hesitated to buy it and ended up without one. cool design though. i always thought of it as kind of a manix without a choil and with a comp lock. hopefully it gets another release at a sensible price someday.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:13 pm
i don't think the lil temp 3 was lost in the shuffle. i would've loved that knife, but it was way too expensive for what it was. even when it went on clearance for $99, i hesitated to buy it and ended up without one. cool design though. i always thought of it as kind of a manix without a choil and with a comp lock. hopefully it gets another release at a sensible price someday.
I think we’ll need to agree to disagree.

The shuffle I mention has partly to do with perceptions at the time. You thought the LT3 too costly. Fair enough. But the model is substantially different than the Manix2 (more like a Caribbean, I’d say), and, being MBC-rated (Spyderco’s own metrics for strength), has extra genius built in.

Simply dismissing the LT3 on grounds of cost misrepresents the model to others, hence my calling attention to it (and the other two) in the first place, and hence my pushing back here.