Syderco Tenacious Custom Walnut Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
glideher

Syderco Tenacious Custom Walnut Scales

Post by glideher »

here is my spyderco tenacious lightweight, i made some custom scales out of walnut wood, feels alot better in hand, and does not get caught in my pocket every time i take it out, the original plastic scales sadly are junk and ruin your pockets and have a very cheap plastic feel. went from 104 grams to 94g. i have also added a wooden back spacer, what do you guys think?
Attachments
IMG_1689.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG
Last edited by glideher on Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badger410

Re: Syderco Tenacious Custom Walnut Scales

Post by Badger410 »

I like it a lot.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You had me at Walnut! :1stplace: Looks great. I'd love to see the factory use more natural materials.

I think many will be begging you to make a set for them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Very nice.

👏
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

glideher wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:18 pm
here is my spyderco tenacious lightweight, i made some custom scales out of walnut wood, feels alot better in hand, and does not get caught in my pocket every time i take it out, the original plastic scales sadly are junk and ruin your pockets and have a very cheap plastic feel. went from 104 grams to 94g. i have also added a back spacer, what do you guys think?
Beautiful, great work! :)

/ One thing though: I would not say at all that the "original plastic scales are junk" - actually their FRN is one of the best and strongest handle materials out there, and the way they are made prevents them from being a pocket shredder in my experience.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow, looks great!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Looks great, nice work. I agree with Warstein, FRN is actually an excellent scale material and i find I carry my FRN Spydercos the most.

Does your finger fit into the hole in the scales? I would be a little worried I would catch the edge reaching into my pocket.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I actually enjoy the FRN scales, but these are definitely nicer. Great work!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Looks great!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
setldown

Post by setldown »

Those walnut scales certainly are lookers but the FRN scales that you state: "sadly are junk and ruin your pockets and have a very cheap plastic feel" are superior to resisting damage from dings, drops, cracking, water, chemicals, and temperature. Tenacious is a value knife. If you want to put lipstick on a pig and take it to the prom don't insult it because it came from the working side of town. :rofl
glideher

Post by glideher »

thanks everyone, yes the FRN scales are light weight, strong and do provide great grip, but i stand by my opinion strongly, they are very cheap looking and feeling, they actually dont sit very well/flush on the liner, and they also ripped apart two of my jean pants pockets. Spydercos higher end knives do not have this issue, only these FRN scales. again this is my opinion and many years of using the tenacious
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

glideher wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:44 pm
thanks everyone, yes the FRN scales are light weight, strong and do provide great grip, but i stand by my opinion strongly, they are very cheap looking and feeling, they actually dont sit very well/flush on the liner, and they also ripped apart two of my jean pants pockets. Spydercos higher end knives do not have this issue, only these FRN scales. again this is my opinion and many years of using the tenacious
Once more: I love how you did the wood scales, they look great, very classy and comfortable! :smlling-eyes
I actually thought of doing something similar to my S35VN Tenacious too (or buy a second one for that) since it is "easier" to make custom scales for full (like in "not nested") liners. "Easier" in quotes, cause to do it in the quality and fit yours show is not "easy" of course.

/ On the FRN though... see next post ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

glideher wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:44 pm
... once more on the FRN:

Can't argue of course how they FEEL to you, this is totally subjective and fine however one feels.
And you still described and valued the objective (good) properties of FRN perfectly well!

So these are just my experiences with my S35VN (FRN) Tenacious:

- I don't feel like this model rips the pockets more or less than other FRN knives (and is not a "pocket ripper" compared to grippier G10 for example), but I'll admit that I do not own this knife for very long now (so my opinion could change)
- On mine the fit and finish is outstanding, including how the scales sit on the liners (but perhaps the more expensive S35VN model gets better qc than the 8CR variants?)
- Are you sure you have "many years of using the FRN Tenacious"? How long does this version even exist?

Again, not doubting your experience! Just wanted to give mine more positive one too.

Congrats on your wood scales once more! :smlling-eyes
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Nice!
I have one with Thuja burl scales :smiling-cheeks

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:56 am
Nice!
I have one with Thuja burl scales :smiling-cheeks

Man!! That is Beautiful!!!!!