How did you get into Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Re: How did you get into Spyderco?

Post by gull wing »

Back in the day........They had a pocket clip. Loved the idea.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

In 1986 I saw my first Spyderco in person at a fancy sportfishing tackle store in the the Florida keys. I was a college freshman and they only sold "rich guy" stuff so I was just browsing. In the middle of the store they had a massive display case full of knives. The Spydercos were the ones I really drooled over. They were more expensive than I could afford so I never bought one there. I finally got my first Spydie via the A.G. Russell catalog a few years later. Here it is:
Imagehost pictures
:usflag Don't trade your freedom for "safety" :usflag
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Stelth wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:07 pm
In 1986 I saw my first Spyderco in person at a fancy sportfishing tackle store in the the Florida keys. I was a college freshman and they only sold "rich guy" stuff so I was just browsing. In the middle of the store they had a massive display case full of knives. The Spydercos were the ones I really drooled over. They were more expensive than I could afford so I never bought one there. I finally got my first Spydie via the A.G. Russell catalog a few years later. Here it is:
Imagehost pictures

Very nice!! Welcome to the forum! I was born in '86, it's a beautiful knife...
So it goes.
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

Thanks! I've been buying them ever since.
:usflag Don't trade your freedom for "safety" :usflag
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

i randomly bought a Resilience at Walmart in 2017. the next day I went back for the Tenacious. the day after that, i ordered my first PM2. the rest is, as they say, history.

:bug-red-white
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

Stelth wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:07 pm
Imagehost pictures
Welcome to the forum! That's quite the story and history that you have with Spyderco!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard! Beautiful knife you have there and great background story to go with it.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

In the late 80’s overseeing inventory at Cat in a 5 story retrieval system I was approached by an electrician who needed to replace a broken voltage meter . He noticed I was carrying a knife on my belt and asked me what was in the sheath .I pulled out my West German Paratrooper gravity knife and handed it to him . He told me he was a knife dealer and if I ever wanted wanted a knife he would give me a catalog. Then he pulled out a Mini Dyad out of his pocket and said most maintenance guys carry this type of knife . He said it was a Spyderco . I said a what ? I was fascinated but wasn’t overly thrilled of the small size . So looked through the catalog and began my journey using and collecting Spyderco knives . Rick and I became best friends going to knife shows and hanging out . Sadly my best friend now is suffering from Frontal Lobal Dementia and the bright light is slowing dimming . I will be with him to help him for whatever he needs . The guy I knew who was a walking data bank of info on knives is passing . I answer his calls daily about knives he doesn’t remember their names . So Spyderco means much more to me than knives it has been part of my life intertwined with friendship . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I went to a local gun store to buy ammo in the early eighties.Asked a salesman what he would recommend for EDC knife. Walked out with a full serrated edge Worker. Still have it along with many, many other Spydies.
Last edited by freeman7 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

How did I get into Spyderco? I walked through the front doors.

(I live in CO and stop by the SFO about once a week.) :zany
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Was in a camping store and some EMT / firemen were looking at spyderco knives
And I saw the serrated spydie edge and had to buy a clipit delica for the ranch
Serrated edge was none existent in 1993 except for spyderco
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I was in the Army in the 80s and at the time (86-88) working as a instructor at Pathfinder school at Fort Benning. I always carried a SAK with me (still do) for general cutting tasks but it couldn’t be opened one handed.

While in a local gun shop I noticed this funny looking little stainless knife a hole in the blade. It was a small stainless co-pilot (turns out a gen1) and had a Spyder Edge.

The guy at the counter explained you could open it one handed plus clip it to your pocket and I was sold on the concept. Carried that little guy and it worked as advertised so I became a Spyderco fan. My next was an early police model I bought in the early 90s and carried daily until I bought an early FRN Endura (with molded clip) that I still have.

While I have tried other famous brands (some very expensive ones too) for a short time I always return to Spyderco for the features, reliability, comfort and quality. Since 1987/88 they have been my daily companion. I now have 28 of them and always have a minimum of 2 them on me. They are my go to company for edc knives.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

I'm primarily into flippers and thumb studs. I made the transition from SAKs and traditionals sometime before the turn of the century. Yet, I'd never tried a real Spyderco until recently.

I'd used cheap gas-station/hardware-store knock-offs as early as the mid-1990s. I never really thought about it. Then within the last few years, I tried a couple of Ganzo knives that aped Spyderco designs. One was a close approximation of the Byrd Meadowlark and the other was a variation on the Military. These got me interested in trying the real deal.

My first "real" Spyderco was the Byrd Meadowlark. Honestly, it wasn't great but it was a bit sturdier than the Ganzo. I almost walked away but then I took a gamble on the Dragonfly. I said "what the heck" and now I'm very glad that I did. It was love at first cut. Now my EDC rotation includes a Wharncliffe Dragonfly, a modified Rockjumper, and a modified Sage 5.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It was in the early 90s when I started reading a couple of the more popular knife publications. It was about 1994 when I was starting to notice Spyderco's most unusual knife designs advertised in those magazines. In the Spring of 1995 I bought my first fully serrated Spyderco model at a local gun show here in Kansas City. The very first Spyder I ever got was a stainless handled, full Spyderedged, GIN-1 MARINER model. Shortly after that I had obtained the following Spyderco models: The Merlin, JD Smith, POLICE, HARPY, GODDARD, Jess Horn and my first Catcherman just to name a few.

I bought my first Spyder on the advice of a couple of guys I had hunted with over the years. They both told me that Spyderco had the best serrated knives on the market and I acted on that advice. Needless to say my opinion of serrated knives very much changed for the better>> because before I owned and used my first Spyderco knife I didn't have a good opinion about serrated blades overall. But the full SE MARINER model sure changed my mind.

I didn't join this Forum however until the fall of 2004 and I've been annoying all of you ever since :star-struck
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I grew up with SAK’s, and grew frustrated by their lack of edge retention. My search for a “good” steel at the time lead me to Spyderco and CTS-20CP (basically S90V).

That was 10 years ago.

Old habits die hard, and I still carry a SAK as a second knife. For the tools and as a sheeple friendly backup blade though.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I was a beach lifeguard. The salt series were the only knives within reason that could make it through a season.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

First post!!
I was looking to replace a manufacturers product with a new manufacturer, for several reasons.
I wanted to try fancy steel, like Maxamet. I never looked twice at Syderco knives because I thought the hole was "ugly".

Then the ONLINE Seconds Sale happened. Since I never would have paid full price for even a plain jane Spyderco knife to see if I liked it, this was a chance to get a Spyderco in my hand and some fancy steel and not feel I wasted money if I didn't like it after some use.
So, a maxamet steel PM2 for under $100? It was a chance I was willing to take to see what the "ugly" hole was all about and try some fancy steel. My love of function over form was instantly overwhelmed once I had it in hand :smiling-heart-eyes . The hole made sense, the world was aligned and I kicked myself >:[ for never putting one in my hand for so long.
So that is what got me started in Spyderco, the Online Seconds Sale. That 1 knife has turned into 16 other Spyderco knives now that I am not afraid to pick them up.
I took my brother to the Factory Outlet when he was in town last and he walked out with a Manix 2 and a Dragonfly 2. He also had the same light go on after putting one in hand at my encouragement.

I would encourage Spyderco to retain the online seconds sale (even though I'm right up the street from the SFO), if anything to get more converts like myself to the brand.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

As a police officer in the beginning of the 90's a needed a knife that could save my hide. Needed something i could open one handed, easy to reach, lightweight and strong. Saw adverts in i believe Guns &Ammo or Guns & weapons for Law Enforcement. Went to my favorite gunstore in Belgium and found a Endura with the plastic clip. Carried it thru my work, imported other models but sticked to Spyderco. Got PTSD. I wear scrubs now so i don't carry a knife at work any more. But carry 24/7 off work. All my pants have clipmarks. Every photo you see of me you see a clip. Tried Benchmade and ZT but never felt the same connection. I feel naked without a Spyderco. Will probably wear one as long as possible. They will probably take it from me when i get dementia or they will find one on my corpse if i don't die naked in bed. And will probaby try to clip on on my diaper in the retirement home.
For some mysterious reason i still have my first Spyderco....
hvarcz

Post by hvarcz »

I start colecting Spyderco after heart transplant. Doctor said find hobbies so I did.
My life will be much easier if I choose different company.
Im 4 and half year after Tx.

Believe or not this is my colection (not full) and I start in 2018:
https://hvarcz.rajce.idnes.cz/Spyderco/
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

I think I tripped and fell in head first as best I remember.