Spyders For Work: What Specific Uses For Each Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyders For Work: What Specific Uses For Each Model?

Post by JD Spydo »

One factor that has caused me to carry some type of blade on me for several years is that most jobs I've done over the years seem to require me to always have one or two Spyderco models always handy. Also I realize that some of you guys& gals here in Spyderville have first responder type jobs which makes it highly necessary to always have a blade handy. And with Spyderco being the undisputed king of the serrated blade I have no doubt that much of Spyderco's success revolves around the excellent selection of folders and fixed blades for Police, Firemen, Paramedics ect in both edge types.

I personally have done a lot of rough types of jobs over the years like roofing, concrete, tree removals, landscaping ect. Not to mention a wide variety of construction jobs coupled with many everyday uses that makes an EDC folder a literal necessity. I'm to the point now that I literally feel sort of naked if I don't have at least two Spyderco blades ( SE & PE) on me at all times during the work day ( and leisure time too for that matter).

I'm sure you all here on the Forum have a wide range occupations all over the charts which make Spyderco's job of bringing certain types knives to the market a constant and ongoing challenge. Needless to say with so many occupational needs out there I'm willing to bet that Spyderco will be watching this thread with much interest. OK what do you all do and what Spyderco knives do you take with you on the job. Which models used and why? Serrated, plain edge, or combo edge and why that edge type is so helpful?
kobold

Re: Spyders For Work: What Specific Uses For Each Model?

Post by kobold »

I use my serrated Salts (D2, TS2, N5, Caribbean SF) most frequently, mainly in the garden and on the water (Condor machetes and Hultafors fixed blades are the true beaters, but I only rarely need them). Other than that, I use an S110V Millie in the kitchen and my Sage 1, Para3, Natives and Chaparrals are my EDC. In the winter I will EDC Chiefs and Millies and my mid size folders (GB2, PM2, M2) are for the shoulder seasons.

I lighly use and appreciate a few nicer (eg fluted Ti) Spydercos - but only at home, indoors.

I also carry non-Spy knives most notably Buck, CRK, Victorinox, and traditionals.
Bark River is for all things bushcraft and Opinels, mostly #9, are my disposables.
I always keep a tough, full tang 14C28N knife in my EDC backpack, so no matter what I will have somethng dependable when away from home.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Interesting question; would like to have seen more responses.

I own several properties, and with a mech-arts background, I do much of the maintenance on them, so I do semi-construction, semi-contractor type of work. Like you (JD), I find a pocketknife a necessity and I usually carry a PE Caly 3 but am looking to upgrade to PE Manix LW when it arrives in screw construction. I also rely heavily on utility knives (which is why I promoted the idea of a Spyderco ute knife) because I more often need a clean, freshly-sharp, thin blade that I don't need to clean afterwards, than I need a sturdy pocketknife blade. And I rely on a hacking knife and an 18V Milwaukee Hackzall for heavier cutting jobs.

Much as I like pocketknives, I have to say that my Ute knives do 90% of the cutting work. I'm sad :sad-but-relieved that Spyderco has decided to take a pass on this category of (extremely useful, indispensible) knife.

Good thread idea; hope more contribute!

(Kobold: what is your pack knife, then?)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I am hoping that some of the first responders i.e. Police, Firemen, Paramedics or any other type of medical personnel will share with us how valuable certain Spyderco models have been for them.

Take the classic Spyderco model properly named "The Police model">> you just know in your gut that Sal & Co. for sure filled a void that many professionals in that area of endeavor had been searching out for years. A local knife dealer I knew here in Kansas City, MO>> actually he was one of the dealers I got 3 of my first 6 Spyderco models from. He told me that it was really hard to keep the POLICE model in stock in the late 90s/early 2000s because so many different professionals wanted one. For a long time the serrated POLICE model was the only game in town>> they really didn't have any viable competitors at that time>> or even now for that matter.

And I'm totally certain that particularly the first serrated Spyderco models surely appealed to many who had been looking for that type of tool for a long time. Which surely contributed to Spyderco's success that they have enjoyed for decades now.
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

I work in a freight yard cutting things like pallet wrap, cardboard, corflute, zip ties, rope and old tie down straps as examples . A toothy pe similar to the diamond side of a DC4 is my preference Spyderco or non Spyderco.
Andrew
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Another good thread here JD. I work as a paramedic on an ambulance currently, though I’ve worked for a Municipal Fire dept, and I’ve also worked as a wildland firefighter in the past. I typically carry 2 knives with me while at work. Usually a SE Salt 2 In my left thigh pocket, for all general cutting tasks required at work, and a Benchmade Infidel (Double action OTF) In my right thigh pocket. The salt being corrosion resistant and SE is just the perfect tool to accompany me to work, I never need to worry about it getting messed up. The infidel is more of a defense tool than a utility tool.“I hope I never need this, but if I do, I’ve got it.” Much like the body armor that rides in the rig with me. However, truthfully most cutting tasks at work get handled with my leatherman raptor shears. I don’t find it to be that often that I truly need a knife at work, but obviously I need to carry 2 with me. I’m also the guy that carries a salt in my bathing suit while in the family pool so. :winking-tongue
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

I'm a commercial/industrial electrician. My job covers a wide range of construction phases and tasks. We start in the trenches running pvc where I spend a lot of time sweating and cutting vinyl and duct tape, sometimes shaping wood wedges from scrap, and scoring and shaving pvc. Once the walls are up I use my knife to open conduit bundles bound with heavy plastic straps, open lots of cardboard boxes and pallets wrapped in plastic, take off the vinyl and duct tape that has now been sometimes poured over with concrete, and sharpen pencils. Once the pipes are in and we start pulling wire, I use my knife to make up and slice off the heads with rope and electrical tape and to strip wire ranging in size from 750MCM all the way down to 18g control wire. Zip ties are covered with my diagonal cutting pliers or flush cutters which are never too far away.

My models/steels/edges of choice: PE models for me. Serrations don't work too well stripping huge wire and that's essential. I have also found that particularly hard steels suffer less apex damage when stripping aluminum or copper conductors and contacting tape that has concrete residue on it. I like a full size model that fills the hand with a tip that's not too delicate but still useful for splitting bundles with the spine against the material and the blade facing out. So my favorites include the Z-wear and Rex45 shaman as well as the PE leaf blade Caribbean which is great for particularly humid, rainy, or sweaty days. In the future, I would love to try a Shaman in LC200N, high hardness Magnacut, and that high hardness K390 that the japanese factory has perfected the heat treat protocol of.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I've had a lot of jobs so this will get long winded if you really care to read it.

I've worked a lot of retail, where cutting up and breaking down boxes was an all day chore. I even spent about 3 years working for Smurfit Stone and Georgia Pacific making those same boxes, so at least as far as corrugated goes I know a thing or two because I've done a thing or two. For boxes, serrations do work quite well if they're ground thin and rounded off but blade/edge geometry is everything here. A thin blade stock, super thin behind the edge knife of any edge type will get it done well (obviously, this is why a typical utility blade excels here).

I spent a year working for a company as a "polyethylene extrusion engineer" which is a fancy term for making blown plastic film. This could have been anything from food packaging type plastic films to medical grade stuff to the plastic film your common grocery bag is made of (a typical order for that stuff literally came in millions of feet, and I couldn't begin to guess how many bags that made but suffice to say there will be plastic grocery bags on this planet until the end of time). This film is melted down into a molten resin from plastic pellets and is fed into a hot air blown die that basically blows an endless plastic bubble. That bubble feeds into some steel cylinder rollers and gets flattened down into a two layer thick sheet of plastic before the ends are slit off by blades and the two layers are separated into separate rolls. Sometimes we had to cut various films, and for that we usually had a purpose built slitter knife, but we also all carried pocket knives. What I can tell you about plastic films is that they are surprisingly hard on an edge after you cut enough of it, and you needed a SHARP edge to cut it well or it would start snagging and ripping and that's how you break your web and shut down your machine. Unfortunately when I did this job, I didn't know nearly as much about knives or steels as I do now so I can't say much about what I used because it was nothing special. I did have a Spyderco at this time but it was my SE Native and I didn't know how to sharpen it so it didn't get used much. Oh how times have changed.

For the last 5 years I've been a tow truck driver. This is a job I never even considered doing, but sort of fell into completely by chance and it turns out I'm pretty good at it and the pay is decent so I've stuck with it. Unfortunately it's also extremely dangerous, the national average is 1 death every 6 days and we just had our first in my fleet about a month ago. The biggest danger is obviously other cars, but you have to also be very alert and watch for dogs or other animals, and unfortunately I do work in all of the worst parts of town so the potential for people threats can never be ruled out, even though they're also probably the easiest to avoid at least vs dogs. Dogs can't be reasoned with or talked down, if they're going to attack you then it's going to happen. I come from a dog family, we had a police dog trainer in our family and a German Shepherd breeder, and I've actually played the bad guy for those police dog training drills a few times. What I can tell you about that is, you're probably better off just getting shot by the officer or throwing yourself into traffic because the dog will run themselves to death to catch you and nothing will stop them. Anyway...for towing, I believe we're part of the first responder family but we're often overlooked and left out. While my primary job is never to rescue people in the way a fireman or police officer would, I do spend all day on the highways and city streets and if I'm the first responder I'm going to do what I can to save someone. Beyond the seat belt or self defense potential, I've found myself with stuck ratchet straps that needed cut which range from small little 1 inch straps to the 4000lb rollback straps, zip ties out the wazoo, urethane bumper covers, brush/branches/weeds, occasionally some rope/twine. The major driving force here is that usually when I really do need to cut something, whether it's for self defense or a strap, it usually needs done in a really big hurry and it needs to happen the first time because I'm usually in an unsafe situation and I can't afford to do it twice. This was a big driving force behind my switch to SE.

For this job, my Autonomy 1 is probably the most perfect knife I could carry. After all it was designed for professionals who go further into harm's way than I do so it's no surprise it fills these needs really well. If I could ask for anything more, it would be the same Autonomy 1 handle and even most of the same blade shape, but with a wee bit of belly in an almost bayonet shaped blade. If you could imagine an Autonomy 1 and a Shaman having a love child...that would be the ideal blade here. I want a little belly to make the blade versatile, but I want very aggressive cutting action and I do sometimes need to stab/make holes in things so a sheepsfoot is "too safe" for all of my needs. I've been thinking about grinding the spine of my Autonomy down a bit more into a point. I want to like the Autonomy 2, but I really prefer the A1 handle and I want all the edge length possible and the A1 packs a bit more than the A2.

One thing that's true for all these jobs has been that I usually need a very fluid draw/open/cut/fold/pocket action, which is why I'm a Spyderco guy :winking-tongue
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Some great responses so far folks!! I've particularly found the Electrician and Tow Truck driver to both be quite interesting. I hadn't previously given much thought to those trades per se. Now I've had personal friends in both of those trades and I do know that both of them can be demanding. But I never bothered to see what they carried. I certainly wouldn't want to be without some good quality cutlery if I did any of these jobs that were represented so far.

I'm still holding out hope that we will have Law Enforcement, Military, Aviation, Plumbing, along with painters and other construction tradesmen. And I would even like to hear from some retail merchants and maybe people in various white collar jobs. There used to be a time in this country that a man in particular always carried some sort of a pocketknife Somehow that got demonized during the 70s & 80s but has recently made somewhat of a comeback>> especially here in Missouri where I live.

I think that there are a lot of tradesmen out there that are confused about which knife would be ideal for them to take to work with them. I do find it interesting that so far we've had one guy swear by plain edged blades and more than one sing the praises of serrated blades. So please don't stop now.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

While laying up carbon fiber/honeycomb panels I found that a Wharncliffe (Salt 2) blade worked the best for cutting different types of plastic, Teflon sheeting, and thin film paper backed adhesives. Some materials comes on 8' wide rolls. I could keep my wrist at a more neutral angle for trimming the material off the roll and piercing it for precise cuts.

For trimming the adhesive off the edge of the carbon fiber sheets and cutting .005" stainless steel wire on a cutting board a blade with more belly (Endela) worked better.
Last edited by Pokey on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

As a commercial fisherman and towboat deckhand i always went with SE- primarily a full size Byrd Rescue. The shallow serrations were the perfect combination of cutting ability and ease of field sharpening. I have used a SE Endura, PE Atlantic Salt, a full size Dyad, a SE Harpy and numerous Byrd folders and found that the steel didnt really make a difference to me as long as it was easy to resharpen. Shallow serrations outcut deeper, pointier serrations and a rough PE edge worked well as well. I cut rope, from 3/8-2” diameter both nylon and other materials most often but also cut twine, wood and even a plastic buoy out of my propeller shaft once. I sawed, cut, scraped and pried with that Byrd Rescue (the second one- the first i lost overboard.)

Now i am in law enforcement after a career change. I vary between a SE Atlantic Salt, a CE SS Police and a SE G-10 Police. (My EDC for the past 3 years is an inexpensive USA Buck Bantam that was a gift from my GFs parents and has met all of my cutting needs so far but i have trusted Spyderco for the past 20 years so I like to have one on me just in case.)
The SE Atlantic Salt is my emergency knife on the patrol boat and I just picked up a PE SS Police for a backup knife.
I dont do nearly as much cutting as I did in my commercial fishing days and have not been in a financial position to buy knives so I have had to make due with what i already owned until the last few years. Being poor makes you a one knife guy though and really showed me what even an inexpensive well made knife can do.
As I mentioned the first Byrd Rescue went overboard and the second is retired, the clip broke off and the serrations are mere nubs but that knife (a gift from Sal) is priceless to me.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I'm a commercial/ industrial electrician as well!! Yes lately my NC in Rex 45 has been my constant companion. From stripping wire, to sharpening my pencil. Pretty much everything Vaugith said. And hey Vaugith nice to know there is another electrician round here!!

Marty
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Did a fair amount of construction last year during the lockdown. I run a small gym, and as "the boss guy" I have my hands in everything. I find the Manix to be my favorite "work" knife. It's comfortable to use with gloves, the strong tip is great with zip ties, and the negative blade angle helps a lot with precise draw cuts.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bradley wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:54 am
I’m also the guy that carries a salt in my bathing suit while in the family pool so. :winking-tongue
Me too! If I'm in the pool, a Spyderco Salt goes with me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

AH80s wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:10 pm
I work in a freight yard cutting things like pallet wrap, cardboard, corflute, zip ties, rope and old tie down straps as examples . A toothy pe similar to the diamond side of a DC4 is my preference Spyderco or non Spyderco.
Should have added that my current Spyderco knives are the GB2 and Manix 2 S30V.
Andrew
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Like Mr. Evil I didn't discover quality folders in time to use them in the jobs where they would have been most relevant and made the most difference.

Fortunately I was introduced to Leatherman multitools and Fällkniven fixed blades early on, so I got by pretty well even without a decent dedicated folder, but I certainly missed a lot of opportunities to enjoy them.

My main line of education and work is within electronics. Might not sound very exciting on face value, but it definitely can be.
For quite some time I worked as a field engineer, a job that took me all around the world, to offshore vessels, remote mountain tops and islands, large ship yards and big cities. This exposed me to a wide array of climates, knife laws and use cases. Pretty much an ideal situation for anyone with a knife interest that needs to justify more knives.
These days I work as a project engineer in an office and hardly see any field work anymore. I still find value in carrying a knife, but it's hardly a demanding environment... or, well. The "hard" bit, is balancing bulk, weight, knife laws and social acceptance against my rather minimal cutting requirements. A clipless DF2 salt SE carried in my right back pocket is my go to atm, but I do rotate a bit depending on clothing, expected tasks and sometimes just for variation. The Manbug salt is also a regular carry, but I've got to admit, as much as I come to like SE of late, it's not ideal for all aspects of electrical work. The platforms are great, but I'll probably try out a PE wharncliffe in the form of DF2 or Manbug in the near future.

The other missed opportunity was my part time job in the military. Working there for 6 years in a K9 unit certainly presented lots of situations where a dedicated folding knife would have made sense, both instead of- or in addition to my Leatherman.

After my time in the military, I've continued to work with dogs, and while it isn't technically work since it's not paid (and also is fun), I've been a volunteer SAR dog handler for the last 11 years. And it's a lot of work :)
This is really the only "job" I have where a knife is "needed", socially accepted and even somewhat expected, so it gives me the opportunity to go about my carry in a less self constrained fashion, and carry what I prefer rather than compromising in order to adhere to knife laws and social acceptance.
My current SAR folder is a Salt 2 H1 PE. It used to be Pac salt H1 PE, but I found it to be larger than I needed, and you really want to save as much weight and bulk as possible for those mountain rescues. And the fact is, although I often use my knife in training, it has hardly ever been needed in a rescue situation.
It's only very recently that I've discovered the advantage of serrations, and moving to the new FFG LC200N Salt2 in SE would make sense, both for SE itself and the weight saving of FFG, but we'll see. Even though I have a new (2 year old) and very promising dog in training, it's not entirely certain at this point that the stars will align for me to continue as a SAR volunteer.

My last role that slightly fits within the description of "work" is being a home/property owner.
There's just endless opportunities to take on maintenance, rehab and construction work when you own properties that's been around for a certain time.
I can't really explain it, but my Para 3 Maxamet has become my goto for this. I've written about my disappointment with the Para 3 elsewhere, so I won't go into that here. So how did I end up with a Para 3? Even though the Para 3 didn't look anything like what I was hoping for, I wanted to try Maxamet and I could just as well try a P3 since I already knew that the PM2 was too big for me to EDC.
Unsurprisingly I didn't like the P3 for EDC, so it quickly ended up in the knife drawer. That was until one day I had the idea that it didn't have to be a EDC knife. Well, more likely I was realizing that I should probably rather sell it than have it collecting dust in my drawer, and since I'm not really attracted to the process of selling stuff I was probably desperately looking for a way to avoid it. Up until then I've only used affordable fixed blades, utility knives and cheap folders for that type of work, but I figured it wouldn't be such a great loss since I didn't like the knife anyways.
Strangely enough I started to like it. The issues that killed it as a EDC knife didn't really matter as muchin the role of a work knife, it was in some cases quite the other way around.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pete1977 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:18 pm
As a commercial fisherman and towboat deckhand i always went with SE- primarily a full size Byrd Rescue. The shallow serrations were the perfect combination of cutting ability and ease of field sharpening. I have used a SE Endura, PE Atlantic Salt, a full size Dyad, a SE Harpy and numerous Byrd folders and found that the steel didnt really make a difference to me as long as it was easy to resharpen. Shallow serrations outcut deeper, pointier serrations and a rough PE edge worked well as well. I cut rope, from 3/8-2” diameter both nylon and other materials most often but also cut twine, wood and even a plastic buoy out of my propeller shaft once. I sawed, cut, scraped and pried with that Byrd Rescue (the second one- the first i lost overboard.)

Now i am in law enforcement after a career change. I vary between a SE Atlantic Salt, a CE SS Police and a SE G-10 Police. (My EDC for the past 3 years is an inexpensive USA Buck Bantam that was a gift from my GFs parents and has met all of my cutting needs so far but i have trusted Spyderco for the past 20 years so I like to have one on me just in case.)
The SE Atlantic Salt is my emergency knife on the patrol boat and I just picked up a PE SS Police for a backup knife.
I dont do nearly as much cutting as I did in my commercial fishing days and have not been in a financial position to buy knives so I have had to make due with what i already owned until the last few years. Being poor makes you a one knife guy though and really showed me what even an inexpensive well made knife can do.
As I mentioned the first Byrd Rescue went overboard and the second is retired, the clip broke off and the serrations are mere nubs but that knife (a gift from Sal) is priceless to me.
Hey "Pete1977" I do distinctly remember you being a big fan of the C-44 Dyad years ago. And I can't tell you how glad I am to see that you are still around. I wonder at times what might have happened to the old crew from around 2005-2009? I also remember you working as a commercial fishermen carrying that C-44 Dyad on your job and I cringed at times thinking how you would feel if you dropped that precious C-44 Dyad model overboard :anxious GOD FORBID!!!!!

And I'm hoping that any new Dyad models will be equipped with a lanyard hole or attachment of some sort. Having an SE & PE blade both handy is awesome and makes a guy well equipped at whatever job you might be doing.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

JD- I still have that knife somewhere. It was extremely versatile. I used the serrated blade for heavy cutting and the plain blade for more fine work. I gave my dad a mini FRN Dyad around 2003 or 2004 but he lost it pretty soon after.
In the 8 or so years since i was last here i would say my most used knife is the Byrd Rescue Sal sent to replace the first one he sent that went overboard from my lobster boat. I believe it was pretty much the only knife i used for 6-7 years.
I have gotten out of the collecting/accumulating game and i believe the SS PE police that just arrived last week is the first Spyderco knife i have bought in almost a decade
Rab

Post by Rab »

Salt 2 H1 SE wharncliffe- i have my own brewery. Gets used for opening malt sacks, cutting rubber tubing and breaking down cardboard and packaging. Works a treat at all those tasks.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Off topic, but it would be great to hear more about your brewery.