Mid-sized Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Mid-sized Native?

Post by Catamount123 »

Has there been any talk about a mid-sized Native, along the lines of the Endela? I love my Native Chief, but the blade is a little long for many tasks. A blade length between the original and Chief could be a real EDC sweet spot.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Wartstein

Re: Mid-sized Native?

Post by Wartstein »

Yes!
In a way the Shaman is what you propose but.. not. ;)
I'd also like to see kind of a "Lil Chief" but "Native XL":
Compared to the Shaman the thinner bladestock, slimmer size and backlock instead of comp.lock.
So Shaman length-, but otherwise (thickness, tallness...) Native dimensions and proportions.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

You know that might be a great thing. I have a Shaman but it’s still on probation. Love the handle, but the blade height and thickness are too great for me as an EDC.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I thought there was talk of a FRN Shaman?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 am
I thought there was talk of a FRN Shaman?
Yes, but this would/will not really be a "Lil Chief":
- Not the great Native backlock but a comp.lock.
- thicker, taller blade
- wider in (carry-) profile
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Native 5 is the mid-sized Native. :)

At what point does adding half an inch to a model get redundant? In my unpopular opinion, I do not think the Native needs a variant in every size range from 2.5" up to 4".

I would rather see Spyderco invest their time and money into something else than yet another size variation of the Native. Spyderco offers plenty of alternatives as is.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:09 am

At what point does adding half an inch to a model get redundant? In my unpopular opinion, I do not think the Native needs a variant in every size range from 2.5" up to 4".

I would rather see Spyderco invest their time and money into something else than yet another size variation of the Native. Spyderco offers plenty of alternatives as is.
For me the Native 5 is a really small knife. Actually in my use smaller than Para 3 or Delica, since the Native has less cutting edge.

Actually for me PM2 / Endela sized folders are still rather small (an Endura would be "regular"), but for many people this is the goldilock midsize. And that's imo part of why PM2, Manix, Endela... are rather popular.

The Native platforn with its great backlock, rampless spine, rather slim and light carry... does not offer a model in this particular size range (the Shaman is cool, but a different type of knife imo)

Is it a "must" for me to bring out such a model?
No, not at all.
Would it be cool enough to support the ops proposal? Sure. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love the shaman and it is supposed to be the 3.5 inch native. In truth it deviates from the native pretty significantly.

I would be interested in an actual 3.5 inch native but I don’t know if there is room in the lineup for it or not.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:24 am
Mushroom wrote:

For me the Native 5 is a really small knife. Actually in my use smaller than Para 3 or Delica, since the Native has less cutting edge.

Actually for me PM2 / Endela sized folders are still rather small (an Endura would be "regular"), but for many people this is the goldilock midsize. And that's imo part of why PM2, Manix, Endela... are rather popular.

The Native platforn with its great backlock, rampless spine, rather slim and light carry... does not offer a model in this particular size range (the Shaman is cool, but a different type of knife imo)

No, not at all.
This has not convinced me that adding yet another model to the Native family with only a half inch difference is not redundant.

OP, buy a Chief and grind half an inch off the blade. Problem solved.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Mushroom wrote:

Agreed, I Have a Native 5 and a Shaman already, small variations on those sizes/lock are less interesting than a new design or even a return of an older model, such as the Ayoob or (pick your own here). I also see lobbying for a choil or removing the choil from a model in the same light. Spyderco provides lots of choices and blade shapes and weights and steels in similar models already. New designs are much more interesting than the variants.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

No, not at all.
This has not convinced me that adding yet another model to the Native family with only a half inch difference is not redundant.

I am not intending to convince you at all! :)

Still, I think it is pretty obvious that many people find an Endura / Chief sized knife to large and long for an EDC (not me though), while the Native 5 actually is too short (especially in cutting edge) to serve as a real, versatile all purpose carry.

Furthermore, there are these many places with their stupid blade length restrictions

There´s a reason why the PM2 (mid sized) is selling better than the Millie (large)

So: For me in the perhaps most popular size class when it comes to real useful all purpose folders, there is no Native offering - despite this platform has some distinct differences to (and potentially advantages over) most other Spyderco designs
There´s a reason why the "mid sized" PM2 is selling better than the Millie.

/ It think shortening the blade of a Chief is something totally different: Compact carry and lighter weight (one fully and one partly due to a shorter handle) are not unimportant features in an EDC folder. Otherwise Spyderco could produce just the Police handle an give it blades ranging from 1 to 4.5 "... ;)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Absolutely, I would like to see one. For me (and I am sure there are others) the Shaman is not doing the trick. I don't even consider the Shaman to be a member of the Native family, it is just such a big departure..

The size difference is big enough to accommodate a humpless, back-lock 'tweener':

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JMM

Post by JMM »

Mushroom wrote:

THANK YOU!

I was waiting & hoping someone would come along and say it. :shush
Matus

Post by Matus »

To me a midsize Native would make sense under the condition, that it looses the finger choil and the whole knife is sized in a way, that the handle offers just enough grip. Now whether such a design could still fit within the family is a different question.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:18 am
Has there been any talk about a mid-sized Native, along the lines of the Endela? I love my Native Chief, but the blade is a little long for many tasks. A blade length between the original and Chief could be a real EDC sweet spot.
Native Chief is too long? Poor kiddo..... :smiling-cheeks

I'm holding out hope for a Native Chief XL with a 5 inch blade! :winking-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:00 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

No, not at all.

I am not intending to convince you at all! :)

Still, I think it is pretty obvious that many people find an Endura / Chief sized knife to large and long for an EDC (not me though), while the Native 5 actually is too short (especially in cutting edge) to serve as a real, versatile all purpose carry.

Furthermore, there are these many places with their stupid blade length restrictions

There´s a reason why the PM2 (mid sized) is selling better than the Millie (large)

So: For me in the perhaps most popular size class when it comes to real useful all purpose folders, there is no Native offering - despite this platform has some distinct differences to (and potentially advantages over) most other Spyderco designs
There´s a reason why the "mid sized" PM2 is selling better than the Millie.

/ It think shortening the blade of a Chief is something totally different: Compact carry and lighter weight (one fully and one partly due to a shorter handle) are not unimportant features in an EDC folder. Otherwise Spyderco could produce just the Police handle an give it blades ranging from 1 to 4.5 "... ;)
I can certainly understand the desire to have a knife in a specific size range. Whether it be personal preference or for legal reasons. I live in a place with one of those stupid blade length restrictions and we couldn't agree more about it being stupid! ;)

I don't want to sound like I'm saying the OP should not express his preferences, as that can be valuable information for Spyderco. Spyderco seems like an outlier when it comes to genuinely listening to the customer, because they do it better than anyone!

I just think there are so many alternatives in that size range from Spyderco that are worth looking into currently, that it might be worth it to accept what is available and choose from there.

(Also, the thought of a full scale Police handle with a proportional 1" blade is very funny :D)
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Recently got my first native and found myself in wanting a PM2-size version…. Then I realized this was pretty much the same as what I wanted back when I used to carry my shaman more - a thin Shaman! I was very gratified to know I’m consistent :winking-tongue
archangel

Post by archangel »

Mushroom wrote:

Exactly. I agree to every point.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:06 pm
Catamount123 wrote:

Or a SuperSizedShaman! Boy would that be great!!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

archangel wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:01 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:06 pm
Catamount123 wrote:

Or a SuperSizedShaman! Boy would that be great!!
Let's have both!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/