Mid-sized Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Mid-sized Native?

Post by Cl1ff »

Admittedly it was Kobold’s edit that did me in as well. Wasn’t too keen, but just like a kid who doesn’t know what he wants until he sees the ice cream cone in someone’s hand, I reconsidered.

The Native is a cool design that’s clearly “sizeless”.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kobold

Post by kobold »

Since there is a Lil Native, how about a Big Native?

edit: or a Lil Chief.
Last edited by kobold on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If this happens, please do NOT change the lock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

anycal wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:20 pm

I am in for this to become a thing. I would give up both my Manixes for one of these :zany

The Native is basically a smaller version of the Chief; Chief bigger version of the Native. Same stock, pivot, choils, angles, cutouts and stop pin placements, even the PB washers. No redesign really.

Yeah. I can see how this is not a great creative challenge for Sal and Eric. A CAD guy could do this in a day (in an hour?). I actualy expect this design already resting on some hard drive at Spyderco, it is such a natural thing to do.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I would definitely be on-board for one of these. I love the Native, but do sometimes wish that it was just a little bit bigger. I like the Chief, but it's admittedly quite a bit longer than I normally prefer and doesn't get carried very often. The mid-size would be like the "Goldilocks" Native for me.. just right.. and, regardless of nomenclature, I think it would be a home-run for Spyderco.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:30 am
If this happens, please do NOT change the lock.
+1

The Native for me really is a "backlock knife", not only, but partly because it has a particularly great and redefined lock.
For comp. lock folks there is the Shaman already anyway (though I admit it is not really a "Big Native" but actually a different design along the Native lines)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

anycal wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:20 pm
A challenge to DigDug72 to make this happen ;)
Thanks Anycal! I've been contemplating a Chief chop for a little while now - it would require repositioning the rear standoff, which is a pain, but I'm very likely going to try this one out soon. I'll keep ya posted!
peace,
Digdug
volfanjnick

Post by volfanjnick »

I just purchased the emphasis and it was exactly the size I was looking for. I love the blade on my Native 5 but wanted one a little bigger but not as big as the Native Chief. The Emphasis fit the bill perfectly for me. I like the better steel's but 8cr works great for my needs.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

volfanjnick wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:31 am
I just purchased the emphasis and it was exactly the size I was looking for. I love the blade on my Native 5 but wanted one a little bigger but not as big as the Native Chief. The Emphasis fit the bill perfectly for me. I like the better steel's but 8cr works great for my needs.
Good example! I guess Sal was already thinking along these line, at least for that family of knives. Now we just need to convince Sal and Eric it is an equally good idea for the Native family.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
volfanjnick

Post by volfanjnick »

I agree, I would purchase in a heartbeat.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would definitely sell my NIB digicam DLC PM2 for this (currently not for sale). It doesn't even need to be Rex45, it could be S30V or Spy27 or S35VN...
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Interesting idea. We have the Dragonfly - Delica - Endela - Endura lineup. So why not a Lil Native - Native - Mid Native - Native Chief lineup?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Now that I have a Native once more (though an old style one viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60127&start=29540#p1552012) I wish for that mid sized version even more...

As for the name: Perhaps something simple and pragmatic like "Native plus" would be an option too. "Lil Chief" would sound a bit weird imho, and "Native XL" for me would indicate more the current Chief size, but not something in between the "5" and the Chief.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Yeah, thanks Wartstein, this model initiative really deserves to became reality! I still think the Elder as a name fits in the lineup perfectly. But, I just want this sweet, beautiful knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:30 am
Yeah, thanks Wartstein, this model initiative really deserves to became reality! I still think the Elder as a name fits in the lineup perfectly. But, I just want this sweet, beautiful knife.

Agreed on both! :smlling-eyes
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Seems to be a sweet spot not yet filled, so I'm hopeful it becomes reality. Likely one I would purchase. Maybe it's a Native Scout?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

I also would like to see a larger Native and would propose the name Native Warrior.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bumping this very deserving model idea. Something to consider for Reveal 11 or 12?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am looking for mid-sized backlock from Golden. Decided against the Native. The handle was too small if not using the choil. The Chief was too large when using the choil (a lot of handle) and there is no lightweight option. I think a mid-size in this very good series would be just right.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:30 am
I am looking for mid-sized backlock from Golden. Decided against the Native. The handle was too small if not using the choil. The Chief was too large when using the choil (a lot of handle) and there is no lightweight option. I think a mid-size in this very good series would be just right.

I understand that the Chief will still be too long for you then, but there will be a lightweight option (linerless FRN instead of linerless G10, just as it is with the Native 5 and Native 5 LW).