Spyderco Siren releases Bull Shark

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Spyderco Siren releases Bull Shark

Post by Surfingringo »

Warning: This video is heavy on the fishing and light on Spyderco. The Siren does have an important job to do at the end so I thought I would share here. Enjoy! I sure did…though my back is still sore! :winking-tongue

-If anyone is interested in seeing more fishing related photos and videos that sometimes include the Spyderco Salt knives, feel free to give me a follow on Instagram @crkayakfishing.

https://youtu.be/bM6I0OGVWmQ
The Meat man

Re: Spyderco Siren releases Bull Shark

Post by The Meat man »

Wow that's crazy! How big was the shark would you say?
Last edited by The Meat man on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
juggler

Post by juggler »

You're gonna need a bigger boat ;)

Thanks for sharing!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Pretty wild!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Lance you're a crazy dude! Haha You are out catching a bull shark and I'm still trying to catch a Siren from the SFO. Hopefully they get some in soon! I'm a fellow kayak fisherman and my Waterway has lived in the boat since it came out. Keep the good times rolling buddy! Thanks for sharing.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The fishing bit was my favorite part of the video! ;) Thanks for sharing, Lance!

Looked like a tough fight. That Saltist muscled him in pretty well though. What kind of rod?
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah those are the sharks that seem to have a higher than usual appetite for homo sapiens ( yeah we humans). Not to mention they are one of the very few sharks that can adapt to fresh water streams like the Mississippi River here in the USA and the Fitzroy River down there in BLOKE's homeland ( Australia). I've heard from guys down in the Florida panhandle that bull sharks and hammerhead sharks are two ferocious fighters.

A few years back they caught a rather large bull shark in the Mississippi River just north of Cape Girardeau Missouri and I've heard that wasn't the first bull shark that they got from that river from that general locale. Just to think I used to swim a lot in that river when I was a youngster. My aunt & uncle owned a resort along that river.

That's just nothing short of incredible. Be careful dude!!! Now if you catch a blue Shark please invite me for dinner. Because Blue Shark and Mako are my two favs to dine on.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey Mr. Lance what make of fishing reel did you have? The reel looked similar to a Penn reel that I had at one time. Penn and DAM Quick are two of my favs for fishing. Whatever tackle you had looked like it did a great job.

I'm sure there is no shortage of excellent seafood where you are.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It must be grueling to keep pressure on for that long, especially at those side and over the shoulder angles from a sitting position. Wore me out just watching.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:37 am
It must be grueling to keep pressure on for that long, especially at those side and over the shoulder angles from a sitting position. Wore me out just watching.
Hey jpm, very perceptive, and you nailed it. Being seated completely takes your legs out of the game then add in that you are pulling from a position where the torso is twisted and yeah, it gets miserable after about an hour, haha. Grueling was actually a good word choice.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:31 am
Wow that's crazy! How big was the shark would you say?
Probably 7 1/2 - 8 foot give or take.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 am
The fishing bit was my favorite part of the video! ;) Thanks for sharing, Lance!

Looked like a tough fight. That Saltist muscled him in pretty well though. What kind of rod?
Ugly Stick! :')
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:17 am
Hey Mr. Lance what make of fishing reel did you have? The reel looked similar to a Penn reel that I had at one time. Penn and DAM Quick are two of my favs for fishing. Whatever tackle you had looked like it did a great job.

Hey JD, that was a Daiwa Saltist 5000. Best mid price spinning reel on the market IMO. That and the lower priced Daiwa BG are both awesome pieces of gear.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:07 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 am

Ugly Stick! :')
Ol' reliable!!!
-Nick :bug-red
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:05 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Hey jpm, very perceptive, and you nailed it. Being seated completely takes your legs out of the game then add in that you are pulling from a position where the torso is twisted and yeah, it gets miserable after about an hour, haha. Grueling was actually a good word choice.
Props for being in shape to endure that kinda pressure for that long, not many can. It's hard to imagine what it takes to keep muscles constantly tensed for that long and at that level.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:26 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:05 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Props for being in shape to endure that kinda pressure for that long, not many can. It's hard to imagine what it takes to keep muscles constantly tensed for that long and at that level.
I’m getting too old for that kind of work but I train hard every single day because I want to keep doing it a bit longer yet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:08 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:17 am

Hey JD, that was a Daiwa Saltist 5000. Best mid price spinning reel on the market IMO. That and the lower priced Daiwa BG are both awesome pieces of gear.
I've got one good fishing buddy that has an Ultra-Light Diawa reel that he just swears by when we fish for Crappie. He's always telling me how much better his Diawa is than my D.A.M. Quick reels are>>> needless to say we respectfully disagree. But for sure they make some really decent equipment.

The only heavy duty deep sea reels I've ever had any experience with has been Penn and D.A.M. Quick. But there are at least 6 makers of really good deep sea reels now a days and for sure this Daiwa is in that category. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about Diawa reels over the years and they have been around for quite a while. However my own exposure to Daiwa products have been limited to Ultra-Light and mainly freshwater great. But it's great to know that they make superb Salt Water gear as well. Also my buddy told me that Shimano ( another Japanese reel) also makes a really decent reel as well.