Resilience Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Resilience Discussion

Post by vivi »

Couple weeks ago I picked up a Resilience.

I was always interested in the model but never got around to buying one because I didn't expect it to be my main EDC over Pacific Salts, the Police, etc.

The reveal with a full SE DLC Resilience put it back on my radar. I bought a G10 version in hopes I can swap the black CE or SE blade into the G10 frame. If not, I still have a nice pocket knife.

Here's the post I made when I got it:
vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:31 pm
This is a little smaller than I expected.

Handle is about the same size as a Pacific Salt. Sure packs in a lot more cutting edge though!

Very smooth action.

Fit and finish looks good except for the G10 being a bit proud of the liners on one side.

Lock release jimping isn't as sharp as the Military. Less effective at providing traction. Liner lock is slightly less exposed than the Millie, but still easy to operate.

Very nice ergonomics for my hand.

Much happier with this than I was with the Tenacious. This size will work better for me.
Since then I haven't used it a ton as I've been strictly carrying PE H1 this month, but in August I plan to give it some pocket time to better evaluate the design.

I have not reprofiled the knife yet but I am very pleased with how easily it takes a screaming sharp edge off the brown sharpmaker rods. It seems to burr less than the last couple of 8Cr Byrds I sharpened, making it trivial to get a highly refined apex.

I'm excited to put it to work, and I'm anticipating the combo edge version as well. I think it will work well with the amount of cutting edge this design offers.
:unicorn
Zive

Re: Resilience Discussion

Post by Zive »

I’m holding out for the S35VN release, but look forward to reading about your experience.

It’s been beat to death already but …your mitts are enormous.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been saying for a few years that this is a great design and even hoped for an upgraded steel. i'm really excited for the s35vn version to come out. it will actually be my first spyderco duplicate model because i try not to buy multiples of the same knife to keep my collection diverse.

i agree with you about the combo edge. if ever there was a knife that i wouldn't mind being only partially serrated instead of full spyderedge, it's this one. with such a long edge, half and half would still be extremely useful and probably plenty effective in stronger man-made materials like seatbelts and cordage.

i'm curious to see how you like the 8cr13mov on the original though. in my experience, it holds an edge longer than knives of the same steel from some other manufacturers. i like how easy it is to touch up also. the edge it comes with from the factory has been great for my uses, but i'm wondering how you'll profile yours and how it will perform for you.

side note: i handled a tenacious lightweight the other day for the first time. it's actually the first tenacious i've ever handled. it made me even more excited for the resilience because it was great. i planned on a blade swap too, but i might just leave it. i love spyderco frn texturing, so it's a tough call.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I had one and I really liked it. It is a great value big folder. I'm not sure exactly why I got rid of it, except that's just what I did back then. It's surely a capable knife, though a tad heavy compared to other Spydercos. A steel upgrade would be nice, but the price would go up too, and it's fine for what it is. Too bad the full SE seems to have fallen through.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was pretty hyped about the full SE version, but pretty much lost interest when it was announced that the maker can't do it. Hopefully that changes someday.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I hope so too. I think it would be great in full SE.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

A Resilience was my 2nd Spyderco (Tenacious was first). I had to have one when I found out they made a bigger version of the Tenacious, and when I first held it I was astounded at the size. I still think it's huge, but it fits well in the pocket, has a lot of cutting edge and can get the job done. I don't really carry it much anymore, but I still have it and it does get pulled out occasionally. I have a Persistence as well, but no Ambitious...that one is just too small for me!

I still have yet to pick up an S35VN Tenacious, but I am still planning to. Definitely want to get an S35 Resilience too. Don't need any more knives, but I don't race motocross anymore, don't play guitar much anymore...I need something to be my hobby! Besides, who doesn't need more large pocket knives (or small fixed blades) to do yardwork with?
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote: I was pretty hyped about the full SE version, but pretty much lost interest when it was announced that the maker can't do it. Hopefully that changes someday.
Is that why they are not in the reveal?

I came to this thread to ask this and make sure I wasnt losing my mind.

Also, if they can make a ce, why not full se?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 pm
Evil D wrote: I was pretty hyped about the full SE version, but pretty much lost interest when it was announced that the maker can't do it. Hopefully that changes someday.

Sal said something about the maker not being able to do the full length, I think he said they'll do half/combo edge. Not really sure why? Japan can do a Jumpmaster but China can't do a Resilience. :thinking
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:36 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 pm

Sal said something about the maker not being able to do the full length, I think he said they'll do half/combo edge. Not really sure why? Japan can do a Jumpmaster but China can't do a Resilience. :thinking
They obviously can't even do the (shorter) Tenacious S35VN in full SE... but they can with the 8CR version... ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

I’m interested to see what you think with more use.

I had one years ago and sold it keeping only the tenacious. I found it too big at the time but my tastes have changed I might need to check out the s35vn when it drops.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm still excited for the CE, but fingers crossed we get full SE down the road.
:unicorn
bjz

Post by bjz »

I am hoping the no-go on full SE was for the s35vn model! I have a full SE tenacious and it’s fantastic. Sure the chisel grind tip gets a little beat up in my particular use, but the serrations do really well and the tip is easy to fix.

Having a resilience in full SE 8cr would make a great mini saw for heavy pruning and grounds keeping.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:19 am
I was pretty hyped about the full SE version, but pretty much lost interest when it was announced that the maker can't do it. Hopefully that changes someday.
Dang, I was about to get excited. My Tenacious SE is in my pocket today as it’s my chorin’ knife — cheap enough I don’t need to be careful with it and big enough to be used for a variety of tasks. The Resilience may be even better.
Wergund

Post by Wergund »

We really got...uh...disappointed. I ordered 2 fully serrated blackout, 1 regular, and 1 S35VN. Then I get a note from the retailer that all orders are canceled. I pre-ordered and waited for months, and suddenly, you can get plain edge or combo, but not full serrations? My first post on this was censored, because apparently the word used to refer to the netherworld after we shed this mortal coil is "profanity". Really? Many of us get all psyched about this great new knife, and then we get utterly and thoroughly...uh...disappointed (is that a profane word?). Maybe they should include a free tube of lubricant with their non-existent new models. A brand I've bought and swore by for years, censoring mild criticism and letting the faithful down. Where are you when we need you, Sal? We've all heard it before, "Don't make promises you can't keep". I'll still buy'em, but I'll never, ever get my hopes up again or pre-order, because I can see they don't give a
hoot.
🧐
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wergund wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:39 pm
We really got...uh...disappointed. I ordered 2 fully serrated blackout, 1 regular, and 1 S35VN. Then I get a note from the retailer that all orders are canceled. I pre-ordered and waited for months, and suddenly, you can get plain edge or combo, but not full serrations? My first post on this was censored, because apparently the word used to refer to the netherworld after we shed this mortal coil is "profanity". Really? Many of us get all psyched about this great new knife, and then we get utterly and thoroughly...uh...disappointed (is that a profane word?). Maybe they should include a free tube of lubricant with their non-existent new models. A brand I've bought and swore by for years, censoring mild criticism and letting the faithful down. Where are you when we need you, Sal? We've all heard it before, "Don't make promises you can't keep". I'll still buy'em, but I'll never, ever get my hopes up again or pre-order, because I can see they don't give a
hoot.
🧐
i think you are overreacting. curse words are censored on this site; negative opinions are not. i know because i've shared a few of them. also, if you cared this much, you should've known at least a month ago that the factory said they wouldn't be able to do full serrations. sal himself mentioned it here on the forum. it bummed a lot of people out, but i imagine you'd rather have your money back than some mangled looking serrated blades. it takes more integrity to admit failure than to try and sweep it under the rug or ignore it. and i understand getting your hopes up and feeling let down, but we're talking about pocket knives here. those four knives weren't going to fill that void.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wergund

Post by Wergund »

Don't confuse me with facts, please. I'm still quite overwrought. I've moved from the denial and isolation stage to anger. Perhaps it's time to move to bargaining...can I buy one of the demos? Please?