Thinning a DLC Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

Thinning a DLC Blade

Post by Manifestgtr »

My DLC Shaman has seen 5-10 sharpening sessions at this point and each time I get this feeling like I’m edging closer to a “situation”.

There will come a time when the thickness behind the edge becomes too much and it NEEDS to be thinned. How do DLC users deal with this? Do you have to just kiss it goodbye and take it to the diamond plates (something I’m not against since this is a user anyway)? Are there other options I’m not aware of…specialty bladesmiths, Spyderco themselves, etc?

I’m not huge into DLC and this is one of the reasons. Geometry is just such an important factor…
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
ZrowsN1s

Re: Thinning a DLC Blade

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well, you could try just creating a large back bevel. But if you're determined to thin out the entire flat grind and still want a DLC blade... you could grind it, then send the blade somewhere to be DLC coated. Although for the cost you may as well get a new knife?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Same way I do with any other blade. Thin the back bevel to the 10dps ballpark then microbevel. There's nothing different about doing it on coated blades.
vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 pm

Pacific Salt 2

Manix XL

SK5 SRK.
On knives with thick baked on coatings like ESEE's and that SRK, there will be a small transition area from the bevel to coating where it's worn off a bit. DLC is extremely thin so it doesn't have that issue.
:unicorn
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

That's what I was thinking- just change the main bevel and end up with a larger silver stripe along the edge.
There are people who regrind blades which of course takes off the coating. I've seen some that looked good where the reground part was now silver but the original flats were black, in the same way that some custom knives these days have satin finished bevels and hammered flats.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I sharpened into the DLC on this one. I've never noticed any negative effects from it.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Thanks guys. This is PRECISELY the info I was looking for 👍
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yep what Vivi said! I reprofile a coated blade the same as I do an uncoated blade
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!