Can we talk about Amazon?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Claw_Pistol

Can we talk about Amazon?

Post by Claw_Pistol »

Rhetorical question, as I am about to talk about Amazon.

I would like to ask more specifically about ordering the Sharpmaker from Amazon. I would choose to do so because I was given an Amazon Gift card, otherwise I would buy from Spyderco directly. I still intend to do so for the Pacific Salt 2, because after some research, it seems the likelihood that this knife, and perhaps others, listed through the dealer Onkata, have a likelihood of being counterfeit. There is even a review of the Pacific Salt 2 on Amazon, with pictures, claiming that two knives bought through Spyderco and Amazon were identical, when they clearly ARE NOT.

I am wondering, since the Sharpmaker, which is offered on Amazon for $25 cheaper than the Spyderco site, which is the case for most items I have searched, is also sold through Onkata, if there is a possibility that it could be fake, defective, unwarranted, somehow not worth buying.

I saw a post saying someone had bought a Sharpmaker and was concerned about the aluminum guards, but that seems to be how Spyderco manufactures them now. OK. Does anyone have advice or experience with the dreaded online retailer that is Amazon, specifically in ordering the Sharpmaker? Thanks!
Michael Janich

Re: Can we talk about Amazon?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Claw_Pistol:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Nalqadah

Post by Nalqadah »

I bought the same from Amazon, same worries.. The videos shows yellowish safety rods, mine are silver color. I tried it and works but this is not a guarantee if it original or no since I used it on H1 steel which is relatively easy to sharpen
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Claw_Pistol wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:25 pm
Does anyone have advice or experience with the dreaded online retailer that is Amazon,
This is a really strange place to start a discussion. I don’t agree with your premise.

I’ve never heard of counterfeit sharpmakers. The triangular stones aren’t something easy to replicate. Not impossible, but there’s an investment involved. I see no reason to expect the Sharpmakers on Amazon aren’t real.
Claw_Pistol wrote:
There is even a review of the Pacific Salt 2 on Amazon, with pictures, claiming that two knives bought through Spyderco and Amazon were identical, when they clearly ARE NOT.
I looked at that review. They look identical to me. The review could be a lie but the knives in the photos look legit to me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderco sells everything on their own home site at full MSRP as they do not want to compete with their dealers. Instead of choosing Amazon, try one of the many other online retailers who will sell the Sharpmaker at MAP pricing, so it should be the same or close to Amazon's price.

Welcome aboard!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yeah, Spyderco has an msrp price and the their dealers have map/street price. Basically buy from authorised dealers and you will get authentic products at the good price.

Use your amazon card for something else.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Some retailers take Amazon pay and you can still use the gift card.

I hate buying anything with a logo or brand from Amazon as I have gotten fake vans, fake clothes and fake toilet paper(single ply repackaged). Still buy from them way to much...

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a sharpmaker as it's not something you can make a thousand of and sell quickly.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Never got a fake on Amazon, eBay is questionable sometimes
I don’t like Amazons politics but sometimes it’s the only game in town
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:06 am
I don’t like Amazons politics but sometimes it’s the only game in town

Ditto here. I have cut way back on Amazon purchases since they got in-your-face political.
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Claw_Pistol wrote:
Does anyone have advice or experience with the dreaded online retailer that is Amazon, specifically in ordering the Sharpmaker?
I wouldn't give it a second thought. It seems that people nowadays are inherently fearful and believe that at every turn is some nefarious scoundrel looking to do them harm. Really, it's not the case. If you truly believe that Jeff Bezos and his minions seek to do you harm, then perhaps it's best to pay the extra $25 and buy from Spyderco. If you want to be charitable and donate an extra $25 to the Spyderco Christmas Party Fund, buy direct and pay the extra $25. If you're not worried, buy what you want from Amazon, and if you don't get what was advertised, send it back and get a refund. Take the extra $25 and buy a bottle of wine to serve at dinner tonight. Relax, don't worry, enjoy your glass of wine and your sharp knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Since Amazon started allowing free returns that I can drop off at Kohl's, my stance on this has loosened up enough that I'll take the chance as long as I can do the free return. It's a lot more convenient than shipping it myself. You still need to be careful about fakes but most of them are easy enough to spot so as long as I can do free returns I'll do that and make sure to leave a review about it being fake so others know. I feel like that's even a more proactive approach so future buyers can see that this sellers has a history of selling fakes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Every corporation is political... Ever heard of lobbying? Lmao. OP, use your Amazon gift card and buy the sharpmaker. If it's fake (highly doubtful) return it and use your refund for something else. Pretty sure the Spyderco website sells at full MSRP and Amazon and every other place sells at retail price (MAP). I've bought probably 10 spyderco products from Amazon and never got a fake. Some were used so i returned them but they were not fakes. Only buy things from Amazon that are Prime.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I were OP, I would buy the Sharpmaker from an approved Spyderco dealer that is not Amazon-affiliated, and use the Amazon gift card to purchase something else. For the same reason I wouldn’t purchase a Spyderco knife from Amazon. I would purchase the Sharpmaker from one of the same known and approved knife dealers I buy from when I purchase knives.

I’m not saying what OP “should” do for himself/herself(?), just what I would do.

Not that I am anti-Amazon. I do purchase from them. And I have bought knives from Amazon in the past (a couple of Victorinox SAKs) with zero issues. I simply choose not to buy knives from them anymore, or purchase any Spyderco products from them. If that’s considered being scared of everything, well it’s not. I see it like driving; I’m not being paranoid or scared when I check my rear view mirrors, or still looking both ways as I’m driving across an intersection with the right of way.

As far as a company’s politics, I couldn’t care less, unless it’s racist, or something along those lines. If I only bought from companies whose owners shared my exact same beliefs, I wouldn’t have many places I could purchase anything from.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been a Spyderco fan for over 15 years and never found something on Amazon I couldn't find somewhere else.

Mom n pop shops like New Graham and Knifeworks will appreciate your business more than Amazon.
:unicorn
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Claw_Pistol wrote:

I would like to ask more specifically about ordering the Sharpmaker from Amazon. I would choose to do so because I was given an Amazon Gift card, otherwise I would buy from Spyderco directly. I still intend to do so for the Pacific Salt 2, because after some research, it seems the likelihood that this knife, and perhaps others, listed through the dealer Onkata, have a likelihood of being counterfeit. There is even a review of the Pacific Salt 2 on Amazon, with pictures, claiming that two knives bought through Spyderco and Amazon were identical, when they clearly ARE NOT.

I am wondering, since the Sharpmaker, which is offered on Amazon for $25 cheaper than the Spyderco site, which is the case for most items I have searched, is also sold through Onkata, if there is a possibility that it could be fake, defective, unwarranted, somehow not worth buying.

I saw a post saying someone had bought a Sharpmaker and was concerned about the aluminum guards, but that seems to be how Spyderco manufactures them now. OK. Does anyone have advice or experience with the dreaded online retailer that is Amazon, specifically in ordering the Sharpmaker? Thanks!
Nalqadah wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 am
I bought the same from Amazon, same worries.. The videos shows yellowish safety rods, mine are silver color. I tried it and works but this is not a guarantee if it original or no since I used it on H1 steel which is relatively easy to sharpen
Maybe I can offer some clarity. Onkata is an authorized Spyderco dealer on Amazon. Purchasing from Onkata is safe.

We did update the safety rods for the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker - they are now aluminum (silver). It looks like there are still some older images in use. I've shared this with our Sales Team and we'll work to get those updated.

I hope this helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I have never had a fake anything on Amazon. But I also research the vendors on Amazon. And you can't beat their return policy.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Josh1973 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58 am
I have never had a fake anything on Amazon. But I also research the vendors on Amazon. And you can't beat their return policy.
The return policy! Thats the flaw! It works if you get a fake. No worries, return it. Money back every time and most of the time the return is free shipping. Now to where that becomes a problem. People buy authentic products from Amazon and their reputable sellers, they also buy clones for pennies on the dollar. They take the authentic knife out and return the clone. Next guy comes along and orders the knife and it shows up with a clone in the box. I have not had this happen personally with a spyderco product on Amazon, but I have many other products there! Parts missing, and things clearly bought, returned and resold that weren't the real deal. This isn't an Amazon bashing post. I've been a prime member for as long as I remember. Bottom line is they have your back. Buy in confidence but I certainly recommend just taking an extra look and compare a tiny bit more than you would buying from a well known online knife dealer or the mothership.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

TazKristi wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 am
Claw_Pistol wrote:

Nalqadah wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 am
Maybe I can offer some clarity. Onkata is an authorized Spyderco dealer on Amazon. Purchasing from Onkata is safe.

We did update the safety rods for the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker - they are now aluminum (silver). It looks like there are still some older images in use. I've shared this with our Sales Team and we'll work to get those updated.

I hope this helps.

Kristi
“” Onkata is an authorized Spyderco dealer on Amazon”
This is who we use for our large group purchase, never had a problem :usflag
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
olywa

Post by olywa »

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but knives only rarely. I tend to do knife business with small private shops because I prefer to support them whenever I can.

When doing business with Amazon I've also gotten in the habit of doing price checks on almost everything. I've probably cut my Amazon transaction count in half by doing so, and shunted half my online purchases to small and mid-size businesses.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Once Amazon got in the political arena, I left. I’ll happily pay more going direct to a reputable retailer and eliminate the chance of a counterfeit and not support Amazon’s political agenda. But that’s just me.