Can we talk about Amazon?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ykspydiefan

Re: Can we talk about Amazon?

Post by ykspydiefan »

Josh1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 am
phaust wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:07 pm
Amazon is fine. I would suggest anyone nervous to try finding a direct report of someone getting a fake. These threads never actually have anyone who has gotten one. Instead it's people who don't like Amazon and people ultimately trying to be helpful but just repeating stories they read online, which were just stories that they read online, and so on and so on.

The thing about swapping and returning is a myth as well. Your return doesn't go back to an Amazon distribution warehouse and back in line to go to the next customer. Here's an interesting article https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketpl ... -1.5753714 and another (less interesting IMO) https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... rs/580363/
I buy knives from Amazon sometimes. And have not yet had a fake. But that does not mean fake knives on Amazon as you say are a myth either. I have seen complaints backed with purchases and proof of their knife being a fake. Right on Blade Forums. And yes the switch a fake for the real thing happens.

Not all reviews are lies, old wives tales, Or people who hate Amazon. Even companies such as ESEE try to deter people from buying their products on Amazon and EBAY. There is reason for that. And I tend to trust ESEE over some hipster hotshot wannabe journalist writing an article for Amazon trying to gain brownie points.

Well hotshot. You coming in here basically calling all the forum members and legit reviewers who have provided proof. Liars and myth story tellers who have experienced being ripped off kinda ticks me off a bit. And you earned a spot on my Foes/ignore list.

I am the wrong guy to call out politics. But, lets just say the CBC Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is not hotshot wannabes. It is a nationally regulated news service. It means something in Canada. The politics and opinions about Amazon posted here only mean something to the people posting.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My answer is NO!! I don't deal with Amazon at all. To this day I still try to do all my business with traditional dealers like New Graham, GP and One Stop Knife Shop who makes Bladeforums possible.

I also try my best to support local businesses here where I live whenever they have what I'm looking for. We are blessed with 3 great hardware stores here in the town I live in and I do business with them every month. If we lose our local businesses and/or traditional knife and other specialty dealers it won't be long until maybe only 2 or 3 big retailers will control it all. And that won't be good for any of us. Maybe I am swimming upstream in a rapid current. But I'm trying to do the right thing. Oh and I still buy a few items from SFO each year ( Spyderco Factory Outlet).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:54 pm
There is a Spyderco Amazon store. If you search for Spyderco Sharpmaker there’s a link in the sponsored result. It’s in blue text.
https://smile.amazon.com/stores/Spyderc ... f_=ast_bln
Price is $75, you could use your Amazon card and get the genuine item. I buy knives online from reputable places like Knife Works and New Graham knives. Truthfully I prefer to handle the knife first so I try to wait till I’m in Golden. Last 4 knives it’s an even split between on line and in person though. I guess that shows how patient I am.
You may well be aware of this but I just want to clarify that, unless something's changed, this Amazon store isn't actually affiliated with Spyderco, Inc.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1480737

^ That Amazon store is discussed in that thread
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:29 am
kodai78 wrote:
There is a Spyderco Amazon store. If you search for Spyderco Sharpmaker there’s a link in the sponsored result. It’s in blue text.
Price is $75, you could use your Amazon card and get the genuine item. I buy knives online from reputable places like Knife Works and New Graham knives. Truthfully I prefer to handle the knife first so I try to wait till I’m in Golden. Last 4 knives it’s an even split between on line and in person though. I guess that shows how patient I am.
You may well be aware of this but I just want to clarify that, unless something's changed, this Amazon store isn't actually affiliated with Spyderco, Inc.

I am confused now. I assumed that Spyderco had a hand in the stocking and distribution of products from “their store” on Amazon. I won’t buy from there or recommend it again. Thanks for letting me know.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kodai78 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:31 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:29 am
kodai78 wrote:

I am confused now. I assumed that Spyderco had a hand in the stocking and distribution of products from “their store” on Amazon. I won’t buy from there or recommend it again. Thanks for letting me know.
From what I was understanding it's not "their store" but made to appear as if it was. I have no first hand experience buying from there. They may be excellent. I simply wanted to pass along that it wasn't exactly as it appears. I'm pretty sure there was another conversation about it but didn't take additional time to search for it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I use Amazon to grab the full product name, get a ballpark price, an ISBN number and that is it.

I don't care for Bezos at all. *EDITED - TazKristi*

Then I go to Books a Million, Knife Center or Blade HQ and buy what I'm looking for.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think this is relevant to this thread:

Amazon sells your browsing and sales history to whomever will buy it from them. I learned this from various marketing software vendors who advertise they can "scoop" all of Amazon's data (and add it to other scooped data) to help build a very detailed and intimate profile of you.

Don't think any purchase on Amazon is unnoticed or anonymous, is all I'm sayin'.

If you live in California, you can request the digital data that's been gathered on you and is stored in massive DMPs like LiveRamp. I requested my data recently and was absolutely-farging-SHOCKED at the amount of data that is known about me, and sold about me. The idea of any sort of personal privacy is so 1990s.

Subsequently, I "burned" my Amazon account by cancelling it. I'm going around to the various DMPs and asking to be removed. It's a lot of work.

I feel like I'm the last of the Mohicans when it comes to privacy, and thinking it's important that not every detail of my life is broadcast to any marketer (or govt agency) willing to pay for it.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:43 pm
I think this is relevant to this thread:

Amazon sells your browsing and sales history to whomever will buy it from them. I learned this from various marketing software vendors who advertise they can "scoop" all of Amazon's data (and add it to other scooped data) to help build a very detailed and intimate profile of you.

Don't think any purchase on Amazon is unnoticed or anonymous, is all I'm sayin'.

If you live in California, you can request the digital data that's been gathered on you and is stored in massive DMPs like LiveRamp. I requested my data recently and was absolutely-farging-SHOCKED at the amount of data that is known about me, and sold about me. The idea of any sort of personal privacy is so 1990s.

Subsequently, I "burned" my Amazon account by cancelling it. I'm going around to the various DMPs and asking to be removed. It's a lot of work.

I feel like I'm the last of the Mohicans when it comes to privacy, and thinking it's important that not every detail of my life is broadcast to any marketer (or govt agency) willing to pay for it.
Please start a thread in Off Topic to cover your work. I may use 100% of whatever you post to get off the lists too.

Have not yet decided on closing my Amazon acct yet because I use it for Kindle books, but even there, Amazon tracked every page that I read and put it into a file.

I downloaded the files from Amazon too. ALL 152 files and 8MB of data! What the heck?

Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google are absolutely nutz!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Stopped everything Amazon when I watched the Bezos interrupt Shatner after his flight.
Never seen anyone so rude .
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:56 pm
Please start a thread in Off Topic to cover your work. I may use 100% of whatever you post to get off the lists too.

Good idea. Heavy week coming up, but after that...in the OT section. Yes.

Apologies for wandering away from knives.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:28 pm
Well at least your pocketbook, checkbook, credit card...........etc.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I avoid Amazon at all costs unless it's something stupid in size where their free shipping costs them an arm and a leg.
I dont buy knives from Amazon. That's what DLT, Cutlery Shoppe, Knife Joker, etc are for. All offer free shipping over $99 and dont charge sales tax where I live.
Too many horror stories of finding a Byrd in a Spyderco box from some unscrupulous Amazon return.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:29 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:56 pm
Good idea. Heavy week coming up, but after that...in the OT section. Yes.

Apologies for wandering away from knives.
Thanks!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Ajai101:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Ajai101 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm
From what I know, Amazon is a pretty safe and secure online marketplace.

With a very lax list of sellers for any one individual product. Always make sure you're selecting an authorized dealer featured on Spyderco.com's dealer locator.

Also, welcome!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:22 am
Ajai101 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm
From what I know, Amazon is a pretty safe and secure online marketplace.
With a very lax list of sellers for any one individual product. Always make sure you're selecting an authorized dealer featured on Spyderco.com's dealer locator.

Also, welcome!
That still won’t matter due to the commingling of product. The authorized dealer knives end up in the same bin as non-authorized sellers, so now you have no way to ensure what you receive is legitimate.

Amazon is their own worst enemy. I still use Amazon but no longer for expensive goods like knives or gun parts/optics.
Mugman16

Post by Mugman16 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:18 am
Spyderco sells everything on their own home site at full MSRP as they do not want to compete with their dealers. Instead of choosing Amazon, try one of the many other online retailers who will sell the Sharpmaker at MAP pricing, so it should be the same or close to Amazon's price.

Welcome aboard!
Why don't they want to compete with their own dealers? Wouldn't it be advantageous to cut out the middle man? Just curious.
z1r

Post by z1r »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:21 pm
Stopped everything Amazon when I watched the Bezos interrupt Shatner after his flight.
Never seen anyone so rude .
Right? What a "not nice guy"!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So if you need to buy from Amazon for one of many reasons like gift cards and you're worried about reputable dealers and items NOT commingled with other sellers items......

Look at the "Sold By" and "Ships From" section.

Find the reputable dealer in the 'Sold by' category, then where it says 'Ships From' make sure it DOESN'T say Ships from Amazon.

If it says for example Sold by DLT and Ships from DLT you should be good.

You would want to avoid Sold by DLT and Ships from Amazon.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal