New knife excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bradley

New knife excitement

Post by Bradley »

I, like many of you, am awaiting the arrival of the new GITD Jester. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited for it, but I feel like the excitement level is less than it has been for other, typically larger knives. Does anyone else feel this way about new purchases? Is it a price thing? Is it related to the amount of use the knife will receive? Perhaps the fidget factor involved? Historically, I’ve been practically sitting at the window waiting for the postal worker to come. Today I find myself, excited, but not anxious. Maybe it’s just me maturing more, or maybe it’s the post vaccine, positive covid result. :winking-tongue

Thoughts from the esteemed forum members? Do you get equally as excited about every new “Out for delivery” notification that you receive?
TkoK83Spy

Re: New knife excitement

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I used to get pretty excited, but now after cycling through 50+ knives the past couple years...you pretty much know what to expect. The excitement of new knives has definitely waned considerably for me. Now if it's a knife with a totally different design, maybe from a new maker I haven't tried before, with different materials or locking mechanism then I may get a little excited.

Excitement over a 5th+ PM2 or Shaman for example wouldn't be that exciting, because chances are it's likely just a different colored G10 and maybe a different steel I haven't tried (though highly unlikely) compared to others in my collection. Tough to get excited over spending $200+ on something you already have, just a different color.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

"The Unbearable Lightness of Getting a New Spyderco"
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I guess that could be it as well! I’ve had my fair share over the years. The last knife I received that exceeded my expectations was the zcarta shaman. Being my first shaman, first micarta, and first zwear (or equivalent), I’ve had a hard time pulling that one out of my pocket since then. Good insight. Thanks for the reply!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:54 pm
I used to get pretty excited, but now after cycling through 50+ knives the past couple years...you pretty much know what to expect. The excitement of new knives has definitely waned considerably for me. Now if it's a knife with a totally different design, maybe from a new maker I haven't tried before, with different materials or locking mechanism then I may get a little excited.

Excitement over a 5th+ PM2 or Shaman for example wouldn't be that exciting, because chances are it's likely just a different colored G10 and maybe a different steel I haven't tried (though highly unlikely) compared to others in my collection. Tough to get excited over spending $200+ on something you already have, just a different color.
Yeah...I definitely get more excited about a model I've never tried vs. a variation of one that I have a lot of experience with. There's still a few Spydies I'd like to add to my collection but they're all over the $200 mark and I'm a little less inclined to buy those at the moment. So lately my anticipation has been more toward fairly inexpensive non-Spyderco purchases.

I'm excited about the Jester but only because 1) I like small knives and carry one daily and 2) I've had my eye on the Jester for a long time and I'm happy to finally get the opportunity to have one. I don't expect it to be a big deal since I carry Manbugs often but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy using it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Just like many others who have been collecting for more than a couple years the anticipation does fade after buying many knives; and I certainly agree that special models with new materials will get me more hyped. So for me the Jester actually meets that demand of a model I've never gotten to handle before, and I find myself checking the tracking number more than once today.
I've cycled through many Pm2s over the years, when I got my hands on one in 2015 they were out of stock EVERYWHERE I knew to look at the time; when I finally found one (S35VN brown) it was a triumph. Now they're so prevalent that its like buying a Delica.
But I think the Cruwear micarta Pm2 is going to rekindle that excitement when it finally drops and the forums are flooded with CruCarta fervor.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I think the crucarta pm2 is going to be one I pick up as well. I have the standard tanto pm2 and it just doesn’t really do it for me. So I think a standard blade with nice materials might be a nice addition.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is new knife excitement directly proportionate to knife size? ;)

I think it shows some inner doubt or maybe even some buyer's remorse?

I'm almost always ecstatic with new purchases, but they're also maybe fewer and further between than some of y'all's and I'm so particular about what I buy that I very rarely get disappointed so once I know I really want something I'm really excited to get it. I guess in this case being a guy who overanalyzes everything is a helpful trait for once.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, bigger knives are always better. :respect

I picked up a new dragonfly recently, and while it's great, it's kind of "just another knife." Maybe when I learn how to sharpen serrations like David I'll feel more excited about it?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I get more excited about new steels than anything else these days. Have and have had too many knives to get too excited about any individual one unless the steel is something that interests me a lot.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
araneae

Post by araneae »

Newness is always exciting for me. With the Jester, it' something I have been hoping for for years, so I am looking forward to getting mine. Looks like Friday will be the day.

What proves to me that a knife is well liked is whether or not I keep carrying it after the newness wears off.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Not super excited for the jester, I just bought 1 to try. Actually haven't been super excited since my z wear shaman. I think it has to do with how long you want it before you get it.

Definitely got to buy a new Spyderco every few months or you might get withdrawals. Then the binge purchasing is out of control.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to get excited with anticipation about the prospect of acquiring new knives. But after having bought so many over the years, that feeling began to lessen for me years ago.

I rarely purchase knives anymore (for the most part). I bought a few in 2018 and a few in 2019. But for the most part, in recent years, I feel like I'm buying a lot of knives if I buy one or two a year. I have gone years before without buying any new knives.

That new knife excitement is probably from endorphins. After repeating the same process over and over, the effect becomes less and less. Which may happen regardless of the size of the knife.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

Most of my purchases are variations of knives I already own, so I don't get as excited as I used to. I get more excited over watches and flashlights, because I still haven't found "the one" for me like I have with knives.

That said I'm really excited for the Swick. I know from owning them in the past they make a great EDC, but sourcing sheaths and scales was a pain. Plus being rust proof gives it additional functionality, something I didn't get when going from a Rex45 Chief to M4 Chief, for comparison.
:unicorn
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I take pleasure tracking and receiving any new/new-to-me Spydie I’ve given the thought to order.

Any excitement I may feel will come later if the Spydie surpasses my expectations. My surprise might break through with actual giddiness, as happened, for example, with my first Millie, with my D’Allara3, with my Mike Read PITS, with my Pattadese, with my…
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Being outside the US, it takes a knife around three weeks to arrive at my door, so I have learned to temper my excitement until the final "out for delivery" notification pops up.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Tool steel from Golden still floats my boat.
Peter
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’ve got two of those Jesters on the way, their size means I likely won’t use em much, which dulls the excitement a bit. Although, I love frn and lightweights.

In the end It’s new materials and new designs that get me excited. Things that break the monotony of my edc rotation. That’s why I was so excited about the smallfly, it’s just so different.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:40 pm
Yea, bigger knives are always better. :respect

I picked up a new dragonfly recently, and while it's great, it's kind of "just another knife." Maybe when I learn how to sharpen serrations like David I'll feel more excited about it?

I think once you really start using it and get over the sharpening hump you'll love it. I went through one of those "no weapons at work" periods where I still got away with my Dragonfly Salt because nobody took it seriously given the size and color and innocent looking design. Since it was my only option and that job did require cutting things fairly routinely, I got real familiar with it and found that it could suit my knife needs just fine up until I need more edge length to cut larger things or I just need a stronger knife for harder use. Even though my first Spyderco was a SE Native LW, that Dragonfly was really my first positive experience with serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David