Spyder Classics: The Jester

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spyder Classics: The Jester

Post by Doc Dan »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:05 pm

I read somewhere about an Akaska Native woman who used her Ladybug to field dress a bear. I’m not sure where I read it; might have been in The Spyderco Story (?).

One time I used the blade on a tiny Victorinox Classic SAK to cut up a good-sized apple. I wanted to see if it could be done. It was doable, but a little messy. Obviously, I couldn’t just slice all the way through; it took bunches of cuts and turning of the apple, then turning and cutting the sliced portions to make smaller pieces. Besides the tiny blade size, the other inconvenience was all the juice getting into the pivot.

Jim
For those who don't hunt, using a ladybug for field dressing may seem strange but is actually a pretty safe choice when you're working blind and up to your armpits in the abdominal cavity of a game animal. This is one of the few instances where I prefer a small knife. Skinning and butchering is a whole 'nuther story.
[/quote]

You beat me to it. I was going to say something similar. A Manbug or Ladybug are easily able to skin a large animal. You do not need a big blade for that. Most people use too big of a knife. Now, when it comes to bone, you need something larger for sure.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I love the Jester. Very happy to see it back.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:51 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:47 am
Never owned one but I love the design. Excited to finally try it out in a couple days.

Did you know a retailer exclusive Jester from "The Knife Joker" was just released a few days ago?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90206
Hey Mushroom don't you think that Jester design would make one helluva fixed blade? I would love a fixed blade with something like a M390 or 20CV blade with that design.

Again that blade design on that Jester is one of Sal's most elegant designs. People talk a lot about some of the top notch designers in the knife kingdom but I still say that Sal & Eric Glesser have some awesome designs themselves.
That would certainly be an interesting little fixed blade design. Also, I agree Sal and Eric both have some phenomenal designs. They're true masters of their craft!
Actually I was thinking of a full sized fixed blade maybe slightly larger or in the size range of the Streetbeat model with that particular design.

Or even one the size of the TEMP 1 would be awesome as well. When it comes to fixed blades I doubt if I would have much use for a fixed blade smaller than the STREETBEAT.

The design style of that Jester model has just enough "belly" to it for it to be a great deer skinner or just a great fixed blade outdoor model. Sorry I should have been more specific.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:43 pm

You beat me to it. I was going to say something similar. A Manbug or Ladybug are easily able to skin a large animal. You do not need a big blade for that. Most people use too big of a knife. Now, when it comes to bone, you need something larger for sure.
Most of us seasoned hunters have skinned a critter or three just to prove a point. :winking-tongue Still, there really is no reason to use a Jester for skinning when Spyderco already makes the best pocket friendly folding skinner on earth. If you hunt as much as I suspect you do then spoil yourself a little and pick up that SpydieChef you've been wanting for a while and peel them hides like a banana. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Again I would love to see that JESTER model with the Micarta handles again. Those two Burgundy Micarta Jester models I had were to me the most handsome of all of those micro-sized knives I've ever seen.

I would even entertain the idea of a JESTER with a Titanium handle. As popular as Spyderco's Micro-sized folders have gotten to be over the years the Jester is one they should consider running again.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:37 am
Again I would love to see that JESTER model with the Micarta handles again. Those two Burgundy Micarta Jester models I had were to me the most handsome of all of those micro-sized knives I've ever seen.

I would even entertain the idea of a JESTER with a Titanium handle. As popular as Spyderco's Micro-sized folders have gotten to be over the years the Jester is one they should consider running again.
Yes to all! :bug-white-red
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:08 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:27 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:55 am
Why did the Jester go away? Did the Bugs play a role?
I couldn't give you all the reasoning, but slow sales probably contributed. When Sal decided to update the Ladybug to the 3 and drop the Jester, he kept the Jester handle as more suitable than the scaled-down Endura handle used on the original and the more popular leaf-shaped blade of the Ladybug.
Thanks.

The Jester’s forward thumb-ramp continues to intrigue me. Given that it adds another purchase/control point to the limited real estate, I would think that any other model its size might want the feature.
Having missed the Jester boat—and now happily equipped with a Manbug Salt and a Ladybug Hawkbill Salt—I’ve decided to get the Ginormous Jester.

Well, OK, it’s just an ATR2 but it’s inbound!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”