Spyder Classics: The Jester

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The Jester

Post by JD Spydo »

In the past I've let you all know that I'm not that big of a fan of the micro-sized Spyderco models for the most part. Nothing particularly against the tiny Spyders it's just that my needs for a knife go beyond what those models can offer. But there has been one micro-sized Spyder that I always loved the design and wish I would have kept at least one of them.

I'm speaking of the JESTER model from way back. It's another great model from The GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2004).
I had two of the Burgundy Micarta versions of the JESTER model and I did really like the design. You don't hear much about the JESTER model these days but for all of you who like those tiny Spyders this would be a great one to consider for a Sprint Run.

Who all remembers the JESTER models? Tell us your story about the JESTER.
Mushroom

Re: Spyder Classics: The Jester

Post by Mushroom »

Never owned one but I love the design. Excited to finally try it out in a couple days.

Did you know a retailer exclusive Jester from "The Knife Joker" was just released a few days ago?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90206
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:47 am
Never owned one but I love the design. Excited to finally try it out in a couple days.

Did you know a retailer exclusive Jester from "The Knife Joker" was just released a few days ago?

Hey Mushroom don't you think that Jester design would make one helluva fixed blade? I would love a fixed blade with something like a M390 or 20CV blade with that design.

Again that blade design on that Jester is one of Sal's most elegant designs. People talk a lot about some of the top notch designers in the knife kingdom but I still say that Sal & Eric Glesser have some awesome designs themselves.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Joe, I’d buy a Jester for sure in VG10 and I reckon a Salt version would likely be a great seller.

Last fox tail I took I used a ZDP Manbug but I can’t help thinking the Jester’s blade design would make for a great little folding, caping/skinning knife.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The original Jester is so much classier than the FRN version. I'd love to see micarta return, but Sal says micarta and G10 are very expensive in Japan. The price would be too high for the market. But! Considering the ludicrous $400+ pocket jewelry being sold these days, maybe a $100+ dollar Jester is not impossible?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the idea, but I want a SE Salt version and since I already have a Ladybug Salt SE I can't really budge on that since I'd never carry another Ladybug over this one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

It's my favorite of the keychain knives. I love FRN and I love GITD, so the recent exclusive was perfect for me! But I wouldn't say no to a Cru-carta Jester of course!

I think they should bring it back into the lineup for sure. A PE K390 and an SE H1 Salt would be perfect. I hope the SE makes a return in some form or another. I am pretty certain there is another exclusive in the works, but I am guessing it is PE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I read about someone cleaning and skinning a deer with a Jester just to prove it could be done. All I can say is his hands must be much smaller than mine. The Jester is way below my threshold for comfortable use.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Why did the Jester go away? Did the Bugs play a role?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:32 am
I read about someone cleaning and skinning a deer with a Jester just to prove it could be done. All I can say is his hands must be much smaller than mine. The Jester is way below my threshold for comfortable use.
Manbug, maybe? I did a thread on that many years ago.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was never enamored of the design. I like the Ladybug blade better, and the Manbug too, for that matter.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Danke

Post by Danke »

Well I'm glad this happened and I get a chance to try one out. I've been interested in this for a few years but every time one would come up for sale the price was collector grade so not the best choice for a keychain where it will get scuffed up.

Maybe the steady flow of this run will persuade other dealers to do their own exclusive. Obviously for a store named the Knife Joker a model named the Jester was a must do.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Anyone who could field dress a deer with something the size of a Ladybug or Jester model has to be one seriously determined individual :hot-face

The smallest blade I ever field dressed a deer with was a stag handled Ka-Bar folder with a pair of 4 inch blades. And I thought it was just a bit too small for a job that big. Just cutting through the hide of a whitetail deer with a Jester would be a tedious time comsuming, labor intensive job. There's probably not very many people that would have the patience to take on such a monumental job.

I can't even imagine. Peeling an apple with a Jester would be a demanding job for me.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:55 am
I couldn't give you all the reasoning, but slow sales probably contributed. When Sal decided to update the Ladybug to the 3 and drop the Jester, he kept the Jester handle as more suitable than the scaled-down Endura handle used on the original and the more popular leaf-shaped blade of the Ladybug.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:37 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Anyone who could field dress a deer with something the size of a Ladybug or Jester model has to be one seriously determined individual :hot-face

The smallest blade I ever field dressed a deer with was a stag handled Ka-Bar folder with a pair of 4 inch blades. And I thought it was just a bit too small for a job that big. Just cutting through the hide of a whitetail deer with a Jester would be a tedious time comsuming, labor intensive job. There's probably not very many people that would have the patience to take on such a monumental job.

I can't even imagine. Peeling an apple with a Jester would be a demanding job for me.
We knife people are a crazy bunch. I once did a wild boar with a Boye Basic #1. :woozy
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:37 am
yablanowitz wrote:

I read somewhere about an Akaska Native woman who used her Ladybug to field dress a bear. I’m not sure where I read it; might have been in The Spyderco Story (?).

One time I used the blade on a tiny Victorinox Classic SAK to cut up a good-sized apple. I wanted to see if it could be done. It was doable, but a little messy. Obviously, I couldn’t just slice all the way through; it took bunches of cuts and turning of the apple, then turning and cutting the sliced portions to make smaller pieces. Besides the tiny blade size, the other inconvenience was all the juice getting into the pivot.

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:05 pm

I read somewhere about an Akaska Native woman who used her Ladybug to field dress a bear. I’m not sure where I read it; might have been in The Spyderco Story (?).

One time I used the blade on a tiny Victorinox Classic SAK to cut up a good-sized apple. I wanted to see if it could be done. It was doable, but a little messy. Obviously, I couldn’t just slice all the way through; it took bunches of cuts and turning of the apple, then turning and cutting the sliced portions to make smaller pieces. Besides the tiny blade size, the other inconvenience was all the juice getting into the pivot.

Jim
[/quote]

For those who don't hunt, using a ladybug for field dressing may seem strange but is actually a pretty safe choice when you're working blind and up to your armpits in the abdominal cavity of a game animal. This is one of the few instances where I prefer a small knife. Skinning and butchering is a whole 'nuther story.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:27 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:55 am
I couldn't give you all the reasoning, but slow sales probably contributed. When Sal decided to update the Ladybug to the 3 and drop the Jester, he kept the Jester handle as more suitable than the scaled-down Endura handle used on the original and the more popular leaf-shaped blade of the Ladybug.
Thanks.

The Jester’s forward thumb-ramp continues to intrigue me. Given that it adds another purchase/control point to the limited real estate, I would think that any other model its size might want the feature.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:51 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:47 am

Hey Mushroom don't you think that Jester design would make one helluva fixed blade? I would love a fixed blade with something like a M390 or 20CV blade with that design.

Again that blade design on that Jester is one of Sal's most elegant designs. People talk a lot about some of the top notch designers in the knife kingdom but I still say that Sal & Eric Glesser have some awesome designs themselves.
That would certainly be an interesting little fixed blade design. Also, I agree Sal and Eric both have some phenomenal designs. They're true masters of their craft!
-Nick :bug-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:25 pm
That would certainly be an interesting little fixed blade design.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin