My first Spyderco experience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Badger410

My first Spyderco experience

Post by Badger410 »

I decided I was going to treat myself to a “nice” pocket knife.

On 19/07 After weeks of watching videos and reading reviews I decided to bite the bullet and pay the shipping and possible extra import charges (which could double the price) and placed an order for a UKPK in S110V, direct from Spyderco.
The order confirmation emails states “Your credit card will not be charged for a standard order until your order ships”. My card was charged later that day.

On Weds 21/07 I replied to the email (from SFO at spydie dot com) asking for an update, as I hadn’t received a shipping notification email.

On Thurs 22/07 I sent Michael a PM. (Which he must have missed as it’s still in my “outbox”)

On Friday 23/07 I sent Sal an email (forums at spydie dot com) via the forum and used the “contact us form” on the website.
26/07 Still no order update or shipping notice.

My first Spyderco experience is certainly going to be a memorable one.
JD Spydo

Re: My first Spyderco experience

Post by JD Spydo »

First off Badger410 I give you a hearty welcome to the Spyderco Forum. I noticed your from London-town from across the pond. I do know that they have some restrictive knife laws in that country so be sure you don't get yourself in hot water.

But I do know that Spyderco has at least a couple of models that meet the requirements for the UK. We had a senior member of the Spyderco Forum who went by UK Ken for many years. I really miss his input. But we are certainly glad to have you aboard. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I do know that if an individual ships International, it's quite a bit more difficult. I basically can't use any automation, I have to wait in line, I have to answer questions at the counter, and I have to pay maybe 5 times as much to ship.

It has been one week, I think a week to ship isn't too bad for international. That reminds me, I have a few things coming international that haven't been shipped for over a month that I need to check up on.

Maybe do a little reading on the forum, I thought there were a couple of UK based shops that you could order from.

Heinnie Haynes? https://heinnie.com/
UKPK: https://heinnie.com/spyderco-uk-penknif ... cpm-s110v/
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am
I do know that if an individual ships International, it's quite a bit more difficult. I basically can't use any automation, I have to wait in line, I have to answer questions at the counter, and I have to pay maybe 5 times as much to ship.

It has been one week, I think a week to ship isn't too bad for international. That reminds me, I have a few things coming international that haven't been shipped for over a month that I need to check up on.

Maybe do a little reading on the forum, I thought there were a couple of UK based shops that you could order from.

I've talked to a couple of guys from across the pond and they both told me that the UK has some really draconian knife laws. And I'm pretty sure I remember one of the guys telling me that the city of London has even more laws on top of that.

I just seriously don't want to see this new Brother get himself into any hot water.

And your advice of checking out information on the Forum is good advice for sure. He can also contact the AKTI ( Amerian Knife & Tool Institute) and they are a well spring of good information. I was a member of that organization for some time and I need to renew my membership. They are a great organization and are for all intent and purposes the NRA for knives.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your purchase, hopefully you'll receive a reply soon...

Honestly, I'm surprised that a knife specifically designed to comply with UK laws, which even has the intended market as part of its name, isn't readily available in that very country.

A bit disappointing really :(

P.S.

BD1N is also a very decent steel, takes a fine edge much better than S110V, though "working edge" retention is no where near it. My point is that if you're just having trouble finding the S110V version in stock at home, then the basic version is a very decent second choice.

I'm still betting on Spyderco actually getting your knife in the mail soon, but if that doesn't work out...
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Donut

Post by Donut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:21 am
Donut wrote:

I've talked to a couple of guys from across the pond and they both told me that the UK has some really draconian knife laws. And I'm pretty sure I remember one of the guys telling me that the city of London has even more laws on top of that.

I just seriously don't want to see this new Brother get himself into any hot water.

And your advice of checking out information on the Forum is good advice for sure. He can also contact the AKTI ( Amerian Knife & Tool Institute) and they are a well spring of good information. I was a member of that organization for some time and I need to renew my membership. They are a great organization and are for all intent and purposes the NRA for knives.
I do agree.

I think I've read that not only do you have to have a knife that follows all of their rules, but you have to have a reason for carrying the knife. I'm not sure if "I'm going to work" or "I'm going from work to home" is enough of a reason. I'd have to check up on some of the stories and I'm sure it is up to the Law Enforcement at that second, too.

Him starting out with "I decided I was going to treat myself to a 'nice' pocket knife" makes me think that he currently carries a cheap pocket knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
TheRandomCarry

Post by TheRandomCarry »

Donut wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:26 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:21 am
Donut wrote:

I do agree.

I think I've read that not only do you have to have a knife that follows all of their rules, but you have to have a reason for carrying the knife. I'm not sure if "I'm going to work" or "I'm going from work to home" is enough of a reason. I'd have to check up on some of the stories and I'm sure it is up to the Law Enforcement at that second, too.

Him starting out with "I decided I was going to treat myself to a 'nice' pocket knife" makes me think that he currently carries a cheap pocket knife.

I'm far from an authority on UK knife law - But I am from the UK, I have read about it "fairly extensively", so just thought I'd add in a few comments.

Firstly - S110V UKPK is a great choice. It's out of stock everywhere in the UK and Europe, which is why I'm guessing the order was made from Spyderco directly.

As for the law - The UKPK is designed to be legal everywhere in the UK*

* By this, I mean.... You can carry a sub 3 inch non locking knife without reason. An excuse of "I just want to", is completely fine.

There are local restrictions in certain places (court houses etc), and personally speaking, I'd be wary of taking the UKPK to London full stop.

That being said, I'm fairly confident the UK folk who post on these forums (and Facebook groups) wouldn't even have the thought that a knife can be a self defence weapon, and they have probably never been stopped by the police in their entire lives.

I know people who have carried a locking knife their entire life - But predominantly live their life outside of major cities.

I wouldn't recommend that myself, as it just doesn't seem to be worth the risk, regardless of how small the risk is.

Anyway, back on point...... I was under the impression the S110V UKPK wasn't in stock, even at Spyderco, but I could be wrong.

Hope you get it sorted quickly - I've had nothing but positive experiences with the brand and people - Even when something doesn't go to plan (Heinnie Haynes Urban), my feelings aren't tarnished.
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:06 am
First off Badger410 I give you a hearty welcome to the Spyderco Forum. I noticed your from London-town from across the pond. I do know that they have some restrictive knife laws in that country so be sure you don't get yourself in hot water.

But I do know that Spyderco has at least a couple of models that meet the requirements for the UK. We had a senior member of the Spyderco Forum who went by UK Ken for many years. I really miss his input. But we are certainly glad to have you aboard. :)
Thanks JD,
Our laws (on a basic level, No locking blades and cutting edge under 3") are the reason I went for the UKPK. I also have the Lil Native Slipit on preorder.
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

Donut wrote:

It has been one week, I think a week to ship isn't too bad for international.
Hi Donut, my point is I've had no shipping notification or a reply to 4 attempts, to get an update.

As mentioned below, the popular UK legal knives are sold out over here.

ATB

Dave
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:23 am
Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your purchase, hopefully you'll receive a reply soon...

Thanks

ATB

Dave
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

TheRandomCarry wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:31 am

Firstly - S110V UKPK is a great choice. It's out of stock everywhere in the UK and Europe, which is why I'm guessing the order was made from Spyderco directly.

Hope you get it sorted quickly
Thank you, You guessed correctly. :)
TheRandomCarry

Post by TheRandomCarry »

Badger410 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:52 am
TheRandomCarry wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:31 am

Hope you get it sorted quickly
Thank you, You guessed correctly. :)

Not that it helps in this situation, but after owning both the UKPK and the Urban, I'm all in on the Urban.

You can find them for sale in the UK for between £63 and £70 usually - I also had some custom natural brown Micarta scales made for it.

It really depends on your tastes and ultimately, what you want to use - But the UKPK is just a fraction too big for me to carry regularly (as in, the blade looks like a big stabby blade to non knife folk).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've waited 2 weeks for shipping from some dealers and I'm in the same county.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:25 am
I've waited 2 weeks for shipping from some dealers and I'm in the same county.

Ouch!

I'd be takin' a drive to relieve their poor overworked shipping department from the chore of boxing and sending my item at that point.

(assuming of course that you really meant county, not country)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Badger410 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:41 am
Hi Donut, my point is I've had no shipping notification or a reply to 4 attempts, to get an update.

As mentioned below, the popular UK legal knives are sold out over here.

ATB

Dave
Hi, Dave:
Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. I'm sorry for your frustration. I was able to look into your order. You placed your order on 18-Jul. Your order shipped on 19-Jul via USPS International Priority Mail. I will send you a private message with your tracking number. Tracking shows that it has left the U.S. and is in transit to you. The tracking information would have been sent in an automatically generated e-mail as soon as SFO processed your order. Perhaps it went to your spam folder?

In reference to your e-mails, unfortunately, SFO was short-staffed last week, so I'm sure they are working to catch up on their e-mails. SFO also answers the e-mails from the "Contact Us" form.

As you can imagine, Sal is quite busy and isn't involved in day-to-day order processing. Mike and I are not part of the store crew either, but we're always happy to help if we can.

Hopefully, your new knife will arrive soon. We trust it will serve you well! We hope you enjoy your time with us on the forum.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A good result! Post pictures of it in use Badger410 once you get it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:44 am
The tracking information would have been sent in an automatically generated e-mail as soon as SFO processed your order. Perhaps it went to your spam folder?

Hopefully, your new knife will arrive soon. We trust it will serve you well! We hope you enjoy your time with us on the forum.

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

Thanks for the reply and PM. I checked my spam folder as soon as I saw my card had been charged. I have not received any emails apart from the order confirmation.

I hope so too and I'm sure it'll be a pleasure to own and use.

ATB

Dave
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:15 am
A good result! Post pictures of it in use Badger410 once you get it.
Yes, I am very pleased that it was just a notification problem and the knife is on it's way. I'll be sure to post some pics when it arrives.

Dave
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

TheRandomCarry wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 am

You can find them for sale in the UK for between £63 and £70 usually - I also had some custom natural brown Micarta scales made for it.
HH is the only place I could find them in stock at £78.95. I have pre ordered a Lil Native slipit. The Lil Native and Native 5 are my favourite looking knives. I haven't seen any reference to a slipit Native 5 yet. I would buy one in a heart beat.

Where did you get the custom scales from?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Suingab makes custom UKPK scales.

I don't have UKPK scales, but Suingab gets a thumbs up from me on other work. I have also had custom scales made by Cuscadi and been pleased with their work.

Suingab: https://g10.lt/?cat=62
Cuscadi: https://cuscadi.de/?s=ukpk

In my opinion (having bought custom scales from far too many makers) the very best custom scales on earth are those made by Aramis Akhmedov. Unfortunately, I have never seen UKPK scales from him (http://aratech.ru/index.php?route=produ ... path=60_64).

As an aside, I (and a lot of other people here, I'm sure) feel for you on the international shipping. The USA based forumites got to learn that feeling (which is far too common for folks outside the USA) when we got in on the HH Urban drop. It boggles my mind that in this day and age there isn't a better solution for international shipping. If you are in this kind of position again, it might be possible to find someone here who can re-ship from a US retailer for you.
Last edited by TomAiello on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.