My first Spyderco experience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheRandomCarry

Re: My first Spyderco experience

Post by TheRandomCarry »

Badger410 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:19 am
TheRandomCarry wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 am

You can find them for sale in the UK for between £63 and £70 usually - I also had some custom natural brown Micarta scales made for it.
HH is the only place I could find them in stock at £78.95. I have pre ordered a Lil Native slipit. The Lil Native and Native 5 are my favourite looking knives. I haven't seen any reference to a slipit Native 5 yet. I would buy one in a heart beat.

Where did you get the custom scales from?

This is my Urban - Can someone tell me how to upload a photo? It seems very hit and miss!

Imgur link - https://imgur.com/a/GcS8HDK

Scales cost £40 from VP Creations.

If you join the Spyderco Swap UK Facebook group, there are regularly Urbans cropping up for £60 brand new.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TheRandomCarry wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 am
This is my Urban - Can someone tell me how to upload a photo? It seems very hit and miss!
I use this website: https://postimages.org
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:31 am
Suingab makes custom UKPK scales.

I don't have UKPK scales, but Suingab gets a thumbs up from me on other work. I have also had custom scales made by Cuscadi and been pleased with their work.

Suingab: https://g10.lt/?cat=62
Cuscadi: https://cuscadi.de/?s=ukpk

In my opinion (having bought custom scales from far too many makers) the very best custom scales on earth are those made by Aramis Akhmedov. Unfortunately, I have never seen UKPK scales from him (http://aratech.ru/index.php?route=produ ... path=60_64).

As an aside, I (and a lot of other people here, I'm sure) feel for you on the international shipping. The USA based forumites got to learn that feeling (which is far too common for folks outside the USA) when we got in on the HH Urban drop. It boggles my mind that in this day and age there isn't a better solution for international shipping. If you are in this kind of position again, it might be possible to find someone here who can re-ship from a US retailer for you.
Thanks Tom,
I'll look into those scale vendors and the possibility of re-shipping, if the need arises.

ATB
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

TheRandomCarry wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 am

Scales cost £40 from VP Creations.
It looks like VP will be getting some of my pennies. :)

Thanks again
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Kristi.

Good choice Dave.

sal
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome to the forum! Glad you got it sorted out. My advice for anyone shipping anything anywhere anytime or anyplace right now is "patience required".
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

The wait continues......... No further update from USPS since "Your item arrived at an origin transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES on July 22, 2021 at 4:49 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination".
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't found an answer yet, I'd suggest emailing customerservice@spyderco.com.

I hope you get your knife soon enough - the waiting game can be very difficult.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Badger410 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:07 am
The wait continues......... No further update from USPS since "Your item arrived at an origin transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES on July 22, 2021 at 4:49 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination".

Just came here to say that this is all very normal for online purchasing in the time of COVID. I will admit that I have never gotten a shipping notification from a direct Spyderco order, but that my orders have never failed to show up in a reasonable amount of time. Production is down, companies are understaffed, the postal service in the US is utterly overwhelmed. The one thing I'm confident in is that the last thing Spyderco is trying to do is treat anyone badly or offer subpar service. They will go to great lengths to satisfy their customers, as evidenced by many of the threads here on these forums. I surely hope that your knife gets to you quickly, and I'm confident that for their part Spyderco will treat you right. Enjoy.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:31 am
It boggles my mind that in this day and age there isn't a better solution for international shipping. If you are in this kind of position again, it might be possible to find someone here who can re-ship from a US retailer for you.
True dat. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, friends and I in the UK and Oz would send antique engine parts through he mail for about a buck a pound. Nowadays, it can be 4-8 times that. Jeff Bezos can ship ramen noodles across the country for next to nothing (guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow). The Chinese will sell me a fifty-cent trinket and ship it for free. It's almost as if the big dogs are getting their shipments subsidized by regular folks like you and me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Amazon built their own shipping company to handle the majority of their shipping needs and a large distribution network.

Chinese shippings costs are very reasonable for exports to other nations, terrible for imports from other nations. It's all part of their attempt to own the majority of manufacturing world-wide. Have you ever tried to use the warranty on Chinese goods that require you to ship it back to China for repair or replacement? Shipping to China is sometimes more than the cost of just buying another.

Making the USPS better will require the will of the people to demand effective change from their representatives. Hahaha, never going to happen.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

MFlovejp wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:25 am
Just came here to say that this is all very normal for online purchasing in the time of COVID. I will admit that I have never gotten a shipping notification from a direct Spyderco order, but that my orders have never failed to show up in a reasonable amount of time. Production is down, companies are understaffed, the postal service in the US is utterly overwhelmed. The one thing I'm confident in is that the last thing Spyderco is trying to do is treat anyone badly or offer subpar service. They will go to great lengths to satisfy their customers, as evidenced by many of the threads here on these forums. I surely hope that your knife gets to you quickly, and I'm confident that for their part Spyderco will treat you right. Enjoy.
I haven't found this normal from other countries recently (Japan and the Netherlands)
Apart from the lack of replies from Spyderco, they have been great, my knife was shipped quickly.
I have no doubt I'll enjoy it when it arrives.

ATB

Dave
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

Badger410 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:07 am
Should I be worried yet? No update since the above. :worried
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would not worry yet. Probably sitting in the queue waiting on customs to do their work, then on to your mail service.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

Well, that's hugely disappointing.................

Your item departed a transfer airport in DALLAS/FT WORTH INTL, FORT WORTH, UNITED STATES on August 4, 2021 at 3:15 pm.

$45 shipping for it to sit in the US for nearly 14 days. Wow, just wow.
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

Received this a few mins ago...........

Your item departed a transfer airport in DALLAS/FT WORTH INTL, FORT WORTH, UNITED STATES on August 7, 2021 at 3:18 pm.

I don't know what to say at this point.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Badger410 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:51 pm

Your item departed a transfer airport in DALLAS/FT WORTH INTL, FORT WORTH, UNITED STATES on August 7, 2021 at 3:18 pm.

I will say that the budget cuts under the current US Postmaster leadership have been very disruptive in my experience, so in general, I'd chalk it up to that.

I had a similar experience last year during the US election season, where I bought something from another city within Colorado which is about 70 miles from where I live, and the delivery should have been next-day, but ended up taking over 1 month!

After my tracking update sat on one status for over a week, what I ended up doing was contacting the USPS lost mail support and opening a ticket with them. Even though they didn't formally admit any wrongdoing, my package "magically" started moving again the day after I submitted my ticket, so in my case it seems like it lit a fire under somebody, unless it was just a lucky coincidence. I figure it can't hurt if you haven't already tried it.

https://missingmail.usps.com/
Tim
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The world has changed. Those 8-10 aircraft cans of freight on all those people laden flights from USA to the UK don’t fly anymore due to COVID.

Freight is at a all time slow for non priority.

I live in Australia and know full well. I have received many things from Spyderco (mules) and it takes a bit longer than normal. Sometimes I get the shipping information and sometimes I don’t, but haven't worried as all things have arrived.

From 20 days to 40 days from the USA is the norm for everything nowadays.
In Australia it’s 10 days from Sydney to Darwin lately.

This is not a Spyderco issue it’s a world wide freight issue. Once the item leaves Spyderco it’s beyond their control
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Badger410 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:51 pm

Ouch...

My Heinnie Haynes Urban took 3 weeks to land in DFW and tracking never updated after it arrived in Manchester, UK. It finally landed in my mailbox as a complete surprise. Hopefully you get your hands on your first Spydie this week...
So it goes.
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

timlara wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:57 pm
After my tracking update sat on one status for over a week, what I ended up doing was contacting the USPS lost mail support and opening a ticket with them. Even though they didn't formally admit any wrongdoing, my package "magically" started moving again the day after I submitted my ticket, so in my case it seems like it lit a fire under somebody, unless it was just a lucky coincidence. I figure it can't hurt if you haven't already tried it.

Thanks, I did consider this but decided to sit it out a bit longer.

standy99 wrote: This is not a Spyderco issue it’s a world wide freight issue. Once the item leaves Spyderco it’s beyond their control

I know this is a courier issue and out of Spyderco's control. :)

Airlsee wrote: Hopefully you get your hands on your first Spydie this week...

I hope so too.