Spyderhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgcameron

Spyderhawk

Post by bgcameron »

A couple of Spyderhawks recently wandered into my collection. Aside from the obvious difference in the pocket clip, the yellow one is pinned and the orange is screwed. Were these updates found on the originals, or just the orange sprint run?
Attachments
spyderhawk.jpg
kells45

Re: Spyderhawk

Post by kells45 »

I believe the screws were an update to the salt/endura before the endura 4 scale design came out.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I haven't seen a non sprint spyderhawk with screw construction
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Only the orange Sprint run got the screw construction update, all the others are pinned.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have a yellow spyderhawk with the screw construction.
I think this was done right before they discontinued them.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I got out some of my older Spyderhawk models this morning. My Endurahawk has pinned contruction and so does my ultra-rare, blue handled PE Spyderhawk. My other two oldies also have pinned construction as well ( VG-10 models).

Now my nuclear Orange handled unit that the guys gave me when I was recovering from a horrible knee surgery ( thanks again guys :) ) it has screw construction. I've misplaced my Yellow handled SE user Spyderhawk that I acquired about 2007 or thereabout. But when I find it I'll let you know what it has. I hope that helps somewhat for you to get the information you need.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

That's pretty cool VashHash
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I concede the point. All of my yellow Salt Spyderhawks were purchased about 30 minutes after they were released and I was unaware of the change to screws before they were discontinued.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Here's all of mine except for for my endura hawk. Not sure where I put that one. The 2 at the top are actually yellow H1s they were purchased as soon as available too.

I posted the box so people can see the date code. I purchased the spare yellow one a few years ago when I found it for $100.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Interesting.. I got each of mine for $100 cdn. Not a bad deal at all!
vivi

Post by vivi »

They tend to roll out changes gradually. If you have a Pacific Salt 1 from the last year they were made, chances are it has Sal's logo on the back side and has blacked out hardware like the second generation.

I've seen Spyderhawks in yellow with screw pivots but none with the updated clip design. Vash, do any of your yellows have the rounded clip?
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wouldn't mind a run of these.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Orange model I have has the rounded clip. My blue PE Spyderhawk ( VG-10 model) has a stainless clip. It's the only one of my Spyderhawks that did have a stainless clip.

I'm still holding out hope at some point for Spyderco to make a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle. I truly think if they would make some of their Hawkbill models with G-10 handles I do believe that sales would spike in the upward direction.

I also still think if Spyderco would team up with one of the lawn & garden catalogs like A.M. Leonard and let people know how good of a tool that Spyderco's Hawkbills are for that type of work>> that would change the market for Hawkbill blades completely IMO >> once people seen first hand how good they work for those types of jobs I do believe that they would sell hundreds of them just in the lawn, garden and landscaping sector alone.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 am
They tend to roll out changes gradually. If you have a Pacific Salt 1 from the last year they were made, chances are it has Sal's logo on the back side and has blacked out hardware like the second generation.

I've seen Spyderhawks in yellow with screw pivots but none with the updated clip design. Vash, do any of your yellows have the rounded clip?
None of my yellows have the rounded clip