Knives you wanted to dislike but ended up loving

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Knives you wanted to dislike but ended up loving

Post by JD Spydo »

Way back around the 2002 time slot I got my first Spyderco Hawkbill ( Merlin ATS-55). But when I first got it I had no idea if I would really use it or not. I didn't even really expect to ever use one in my daily chores. But it wasn't too long after that when I discovered that Spyderco's Hawkbill blades have some viable uses>> especially the serrated Hawkbills.

I even used my ATS-55 G-10 Harpy for a few years as an excellent companion blade for my main EDC. It showed me that "Looks" can sometimes be deceiving.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:15 pm
Now I'm wishing for a K390 blade in the original drop point shape.
Me, too.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:32 pm
- those giant mice are tempting

They very much are! For some reason I've never handled one...
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:15 pm
I've mention in another thread that I originally couldn't connect with the shape of the Stretch blade and held out for the straight spine K390 model. During the long wait for it, I started using my G-10 ZDP-189 model in anticipation and soon really came to like it. Now I'm wishing for a K390 blade in the original drop point shape.

I'm actually in the opposite camp, I think the drop point blade looks really intriguing, and as soon as it hit my radar they seemed to be replaced by the SS Stretch. I don't have any version of the Stretch but I have no doubt that it is an underrated design.

I would like to see both blade shapes in regular production. I don't need another PM2 which keeps me away from the SS Stretch.
So it goes.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Bought it, had buyer's remorse, so I returned it the next day. Bought it again about a year ago. This time it stuck. Regular favorite in my rotation.

Peter
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Like many others above, not really "wanted to dislike", but there were two that I was worried that I might not like; just outside of what I would normally look at.

First was the Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE. I liked the idea and overall design of the Caribbean. I liked and wanted the leaf-shaped plain-edge version. I thought the Sheepsfoot serrated-edge was the ugliest of the bunch. This forum sucked me into the serrated cult before even getting one in-hand. So, I ended up considering SE, but still liked the look of the leaf shape better. Then, reading that the Sheepsfoot would probably be a more aggressive cutter, starting to like the shape of the edge (wharncliff-ish with a slight belly), and also reading the Sheepsfoot left more Spydie hole exposed; I ended up going that route. So I essentially ended up ordering the version I initially liked the least - and I'm glad I did. I like it quite a bit.

The other was the Spydiechef. I didn't think I would like titanium scales, or a framelock, and kept reading about the lockstick. I also wasn't sure about the upswept all-belly blade shape. All that said, I really liked the design; and couldn't overlook all the positive reviews. So even with all my worries that I wouldn't like it, I ended up ordering one and love it. It's my #1 carry right now.

Add to both of these, that they're pretty pricey pieces in Spyderco's catalog. So it felt fairly risky to be spending around/over $200 each for two knives I was pretty unsure about. But in both cases I'm glad I took the risk.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Jason Paul wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:49 am
First was the Caribbean Sheepsfoot SE. I liked the idea and overall design of the Caribbean. I liked and wanted the leaf-shaped plain-edge version. I thought the Sheepsfoot serrated-edge was the ugliest of the bunch. This forum sucked me into the serrated cult before even getting one in-hand. So, I ended up considering SE, but still liked the look of the leaf shape better. Then, reading that the Sheepsfoot would probably be a more aggressive cutter, starting to like the shape of the edge (wharncliff-ish with a slight belly), and also reading the Sheepsfoot left more Spydie hole exposed; I ended up going that route. So I essentially ended up ordering the version I initially liked the least - and I'm glad I did. I like it quite a bit.

Be on the lookout for your commission check in the not too distant future...
So it goes.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Shaman for me and also the military. Though I liked the ergos of the handle of the shaman when I first picked one up, I felt (and still feel) that it's too front heavy. I bought a z-wear and put it in my pocket for a couple of months and it really grew on me. It's quite sexy. That smooth dark butterscotch handle is one of a kind in my collection and one of the only knives I handle on a regular basis while it's closed as much as open. It just wants to be held/touched. Hand candy.
The military made me laugh when I first held it because it's so flippin big but bought an s110v version eventually and have to admit that I get it now and carry it often on weekends in the bush and at home for food prep. Pocket sword. It gives a guy confidence to say the least. Very capable knife
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:47 pm
It's quite sexy.

And with this, kindred spirits were born...
So it goes.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:40 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:47 pm
It's quite sexy.

And with this, kindred spirits were born...
Lol :D
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:53 am
Jason Paul wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:49 am

Be on the lookout for your commission check in the not too distant future...
:) It's a good one. It's a bit large in the pocket, so I don't actually carry it much. But, if I expect anything hard-use it's nice to have for sure. Great action, and the serrations are noticeably better than any of my others.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Jason Paul wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:46 pm
:) It's a good one. It's a bit large in the pocket, so I don't actually carry it much. But, if I expect anything hard-use it's nice to have for sure. Great action, and the serrations are noticeably better than any of my others.

And just so we're clear, you're not related to JuPaul?? For some reason I associate you two together, LOL!

Yeah, I'm going to eventually pick up a SE Sheepsfoot, but for the exact same reasons it's not a high priority.
So it goes.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:42 pm
Probably the Military. I talked a lot of trash about it, how it's proportions aren't the best, how silly the size is. That changed very quickly once I got one and used/carried it. I often wonder how many models I'd like more if I just had the opportunity to use them without having to commit to purchasing them.
This. I thought Millie, she was too big for me. But a casual low bid on a used and dyed Cruwear sprint (because Cruwear, yeah?) and my eyes were opened. It is fair to say she is my favorite large folder.

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:08 pm
For me it was all Spydercos. Until I saw a used Native 440v sitting in the knife case, asked to looked at it and **bing** the bell went off. Now my favorite brand by far.
See it was exactly the opposite for me! I drooled on the Clipits in the catalog as a kid. They were like nothing I’d ever seen, and made so much sense. A friend I met freshman year in college had a 3-screw Worker with the non-chamfered corners, and I lit up when he showed it to me. He didn’t know it was “special.” Shortly after I bought my own Worker and the hook was set.
coapvid

Post by coapvid »

I would like to see both blade shapes in regular production. I don't need another PM2 which keeps me away from the SS Stretch.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

"Spyderco"
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear coapvid:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I really thought I’d end up selling theKnife Joker translucent green manix LW. By the time I bought it I had been through 4 manixes that I never quite bonded with. The design of it always spoke to me but in practice I just never used em, or in the case of LWs they has some issues I couldn’t fix because of the pins. The mystic green was so pretty I decided whatever, I’ll buy one, and it’ll be gone in a week. Well I got it and it didn’t have any issues, and it’s now kicked everything out of my pocket, save for my siren on rainy days. It really just has an X factor I can’t describe. I love it.

Also the native 5 salt. I was pretty against back locks up til that point. Once it was in hand that changed almost instantly, now I’m one of back locks biggest fans.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Pingo.

Was a Father’s Day gift I grabbed to meet the budget. It was Orange only because the black ones had mushy backsprings at the B&M. It doesn’t lock and has no real shape point to speak of. I really liked using it, found it to be a baller EDC, and got constant complements (not that I wanted them) on the knife and the color. Same knife in a lock back would be a top 5 for me
Last edited by twinboysdad on Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Delica 4.

It was my first spyderco, which I ended up gifting to a friend. I didnt like back locks, FRN, and the lockrock all Japanese models seem to have drove me crazy.

When the Superblue model came out, I gave it another chance. Bought and sold the Superblue model a couple times before really starting to enjoy it.

Now the delica is one of my favourites. Have yet to find a knife with better cutting performance than the sprint run delicas. The blades are thin at 2.5 mm, but what makes the performance even better is the extreme taper. My Superblue, hap40, and vToku2 models are all thinner than the chaparral.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:52 pm
Jason Paul wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:46 pm

And just so we're clear, you're not related to JuPaul?? For some reason I associate you two together, LOL!

Yeah, I'm going to eventually pick up a SE Sheepsfoot, but for the exact same reasons it's not a high priority.
Correct - no relation. In one of my first posts, someone commented they thought she finally got her husband into knives and on the forum. But nope, I'm totally a different guy. :open-grin
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW