Dreaming of a LIGHT Tenacious lightweight, constructed like a Millie...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Dreaming of a LIGHT Tenacious lightweight, constructed like a Millie...

Post by Wartstein »

I really, really like my Tenacious LW (FRN) in S35VN.

It seems to get mixed reviews on the internet, but mine is of amazing, flawless build quality and imho more than worth the money, even for a China made knife.
Great, when one wants to have a real, compact workhorse with an Endura length cutting edge in a closed package that is just 2mm longer than a Para 3.

For "regular" EDC I somehow even like the substantial feel in hand that this "lightweight" version has.
It feels heavy for its size in a good, solid way.
It actually IS pretty heavy for its size, despite the drilled out liners: Same weight as a PM2, but the latter is a larger package

BUT:
I often opt for lighter folders in certain situations: Mountaineering, running, or just wearing lighter garment pants or such with "floppier" pockets.
And I like the S35VN Tenacious so much that I´d absolutely want a REAL lightweight version too - built just like the Millie, with one minimal, partial liner
They could "go all the way" and make it a Salt, though I would not need that.

Would make for an amazing outdoor and mountaineering folder, not least because of its so user friendly linerlock (for me still perhaps the best option for outdoor use, especially in cold conditions).

And aside of the Millie: Are there any good, light Spyderco linerlock folders out there?! (The Polestar is a great option, but actually heavier than a Tenacious LW)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Re: Dreaming of a LIGHT Tenacious lightweight, constructed like a Millie...

Post by vivi »

Not the easiest knife to track down, but you could look into the C37 FRN Walker.

:unicorn
Ric

Post by Ric »

I can imagine the tenacious blade weights also much.

But a real featherweight knife in LC200N and a longer blade (to cut an apple) would be super.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Agreed. I was surprised to hear that the LW Tenacious was basically the same weight as the G-10 model. Brining the weight down to something closer to the Para 3 LW would be great.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:55 pm
Agreed. I was surprised to hear that the LW Tenacious was basically the same weight as the G-10 model. Brining the weight down to something closer to the Para 3 LW would be great.
It would indeed!

I don't have a Para 3, but by the specs it is very close in closed size to the Tenacious.
Having a really light version of the latter would offer an alternative for those who like that compact closed package, but prefer linerlock over comp lock and want a really long cutting edge (again, comparing it to my Enduras, the Tenacious offers practically the same length of actual edge)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I guess by definition a liner lock has to have at least one liner. Hence, a weightier design. Personally I wouldn't trust a liner lock with just a liner on one side and the other side made of frn minus the liner.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm
Not the easiest knife to track down, but you could look into the C37 FRN Walker.
Thanks, Vivi, I was not aware of this model, just looked it up!
Very cool and VERY light in its LW version.
But a bit short bladed and I prefer ffg over hollow grind.
Still I'd probably get one for a reasonable price.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:13 pm
I guess by definition a liner lock has to have at least one liner. Hence, a weightier design. Personally I wouldn't trust a liner lock with just a liner on one side and the other side made of frn minus the liner.
Well, this is just how the Millie is constructed... one partial liner, other side no liner.

Sure, it's G10, not FRN, but I guess that thick FRN is about as strong and rigid as G10 of the same thickness
Furthermore, the Millie handle is a LOT longer (the Tenacious handle is just 2mm longer than the Para 3 handle), so the Millie has a lot more length that could flex, but still works perfectly fine...

Can't be sure of course, just whar I figure.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:20 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Well, this is just how the Millie is constructed... one partial liner, other side no liner.

Sure, it's G10, not FRN, but I guess that thick FRN is about as strong and rigid as G10 of the same thickness
Furthermore, the Millie handle is a LOT longer (the Tenacious handle is just 2mm longer than the Para 3 handle), so the Millie has a lot more length that could flex, but still works perfectly fine...

The Japanese FRN on my LC200N PacSalt 2 is pretty durn bendy. A heck of a lot more than the G10 on my Siren. I don't recall if you have a LC200N Salt 2, but if you do, give it a squeeze. Maybe the Chinese FRN is stiffer. I don't know. No doubt that the Military is a great and safe knife, but I've seen a lot of unsafe liner locks over the years and am a bit on the cautious side. I fully intend to get the S35VN Resilience liner lock because I believe it will have liners on both sides, but mostly because I have faith that Spyderco would not release an unsafe knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:42 pm
Wartstein wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:

The Japanese FRN on my LC200N PacSalt 2 is pretty durn bendy. A heck of a lot more than the G10 on my Siren. I don't recall if you have a LC200N Salt 2, but if you do, give it a squeeze. Maybe the Chinese FRN is stiffer. I don't know. No doubt that the Military is a great and safe knife, but I've seen a lot of unsafe liner locks over the years and am a bit on the cautious side. I fully intend to get the S35VN Resilience liner lock because I believe it will have liners on both sides, but mostly because I have faith that Spyderco would not release an unsafe knife.
Keep in mind: The FRN handles on your Pac Salt are "milled out" (don t know the proper English term) at the inside (so not one solid block of FRN). And ain't the Siren handle scales thicker than the Pac Salts? (Perhaps you could check, I' d be really interested if this is the case).

But sure, you have a point here, cause one has to consider: An open back linerlock handle will most likely flex more than a closed back backlock handle with partly metal (= the lockbar) in the handle-spine..
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The G10 scales on my Siren are just a wee bit thinner than the FRN scales on my LC200N PacSalt 2. Both are closed back backlocks.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:14 am
The G10 scales on my Siren are just a wee bit thinner than the FRN scales on my LC200N PacSalt 2. Both are closed back backlocks.
Thanks... and the Siren scales are THINNER? This actually surprises me and would strongly indicate indeed that G10 is more rigid than FRN.
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm

I’ve owned one of those since they were in production. However, IMO, it’s not a particularly sturdy-feeling design. And the locking liner on mine traveled to the opposite side when locked open and developed some blade play very quickly, with minimal use. A nice-looking design, but IMO not very confidence-inspiring for anything but very light (penknife-type) use.

Jim
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:

It's worth noting that the Para 3 LW is also just a single, partial liner - if they can do that with a comp lock + FRN, and they can do it with a liner lock + G10, I'm pretty sure they can do it with a liner lock + FRN. The liner may have to be a bit larger, but it'd be just fine.

Any small loss in rigidity should be a more than fair trade off for the weight savings.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
skeeg11 wrote:

It's worth noting that the Para 3 LW is also just a single, partial liner - if they can do that with a comp lock + FRN, and they can do it with a liner lock + G10, I'm pretty sure they can do it with a liner lock + FRN. The liner may have to be a bit larger, but it'd be just fine.

Any small loss in rigidity should be a more than fair trade off for the weight savings.
True - though a loss of rigidity is more of a problem with a liner- than with a comp.- or any other lock I think: With a linerlock handle flex can potentially lead to unwanted disengaging of the lock pretty quick as far as I figure it.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I'm all for a single partial liner Tenacious. I love truly lightweight FRN designs - why my Goddard LW is my favorite EDC. It would be great to have an alternative that I didn't have to worry about losing all the time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I was trying to find an Introvert for someone in the deals thread that I remembered seeing, and came across this in the process:

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1026422/

Figured I'd mention it in case anyone was interested in one of the Walkers I posted earlier.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:12 pm
mine is of amazing, flawless build quality and imho more than worth the money, even for a China made knife.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:12 pm
mine is of amazing, flawless build quality and imho more than worth the money, even for a China made knife.
:p :p

You know how much I appreciate this really shallow, non aggressive kind of serrations... ;)

/ And once more: Glad you're back, my friend! :)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

How much blade length do you want in this dream LW? The Rockjumper has less cutting length but is lighter. Several other Spyderco back locks are lighter. (Endura and Delica) It seems as though the insistence on a liner lock will add weight. I think the 3.8 oz of the Tenacious is pretty light already. If a LW Spyderco knife with a lock is what your looking for the Manix LW is the same weight as the Rockjumper and has the wire clip!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: