Dumb Guys Buy More Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Dumb Guys Buy More Knives

Post by RustyIron »

We may buy more knives, but it's not our intention. It's not like we wake up in the morning and say to ourselves, "Selves, it's been a while since you bought a knife, so just lose one today, and you'll have an excuse to buy one."

But that's the way the day played out.

When I'm on the mountain bike, I can't conveniently carry a normal sized knife, so I carry a Ladybug K390. That was until last weekend. I normally don't put anything else in my pockets, but the situation resulted in a Gu packet in with the knife. Apparently when I pulled out my Gu, the knife tumbled into the dirt. At least that's the most plausible explanation.

Upon discovering my foolish move, I tried to decide upon a solution. Throw down for another Ladybug K390, mostly a knife that never gets used, other than to satisfy my obsession with always having a knife? Or would it be more sensible to get a Honeybee, for the price of a couple pieces of sushi?

I almost bought the Honeybee as a replacement. But then I thought that I'd always be sad about losing the Ladybug 390. Since guys who lose knives aren't very good at making decisions, I sidestepped the problem and just bought both.

The knives arrived yesterday. I don't think I need to say anything about the Ladybug. Everyone knows it's on the small side, barely big enough to be usable, small enough be nearly invisible, and it's K390. It will never be my primary knife, but I'm glad I have one.

It was the Honeybee that surprised me. The little slipjoint reminds me of the promotional "swag" knives that companies and stores used to give away when I was a kid. But the Honeybee is actually a NICE little knife. Aesthetically, it's lovely. It's nicely proportioned, like a big knife that was just shrunk down. The black/black gives it a sophisticated look, like a tuxedo. The pivot shows no detectible play, yet it moves smoothly with no binding or grittiness. To summarize, I REALLY like the Honeybee. I'm not sure what I'll do with it or when I might carry it, but it's cool, and it's not very expensive.

What started off as an unfortunate mishap, evolved into a scenario by which I got TWO replacements. All in all, not a bad day's work.
IMG_2642.jpeg
Sharp Guy

Re: Dumb Guys Buy More Knives

Post by Sharp Guy »

It's interesting to me how different we can all be when it comes to knives and how we use them. I carry a Manbug almost every day and I could use it for the majority of the things I cut with an EDC knife (vs thinking it's barely usable). I've thought I really could carry only a Manbug and get by nicely. I do prefer to also carry and use a bigger knife but that's just a preference and not out of necessity.

The Honey Bees are nice little knives. I asked my lady if she'd like one and she no. She likes the Ladybug and Dragonfly she already has

BTW when I'm on my bike I usually carry a Manix 2 LW IWB
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

That sounded like a happy ending to me! :cool:
It's not dumb until you find out the old ladybug fell out in your car and you end up with two.
Today I purchased a $60 TiCN Wharnie Manbug to avoid the $5 shipping charge for the Joker's Jester! So i understand the dumbness that comes with this hobby. :D
•• Beau
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 pm
Today I purchased a $60 TiCN Wharnie Manbug to avoid the $5 shipping charge for the Joker's Jester!

As someone who has a habit of buying way too many knives this hits very hard, haha!

I've only lost one knife that was never found, and it was the first quality EDC knife I ever received. In 2003 I was given a Benchmade Mini-Grip for Christmas and within 6 months I had lost it. Not to get too deep into it, but at the age of seventeen the only obvious choice to cover my severe blunder and subsequent embarrassment was to buy an even more premium knife (BM 707) to make up for and hopefully avoid ever discussing the missing Mini-Grip. It worked, I carried that 707 for 10 years.

Little did I know that retiring that 707 would be a decade-long rabbit hole of steels, knife designers and forums...yet here we all are rumbling down our unique paths of keenness.
So it goes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't even think twice, most of the time. I just say, "I haven't bought a knife in a couple of months (or weeks)" and I get one that has been interesting me.

The Ladybug and Manbug are certainly enough knife for those of us that live in civilization. It has been my experience that big knives, like big guns, tend to get left behind, sometimes, but a knife like a Dragonfly or Ladybug gets carried all of the time.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Buddafucco wrote:

Today I purchased a $60 TiCN Wharnie Manbug to avoid the $5 shipping charge for the Joker's Jester! So i understand the dumbness that comes with this hobby. :D
I usually buy a Salt or a Delica so the knife I bought doesn’t get lonely travelling by itself…. :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'd say that 99.9% of the frequent posters here on this forum are way beyond the point of NEEDING another knife. Are we dumb, buying more? Yes and no.

Life is short. If you can, treat yourself from time to time, but don't forget your neighbour.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like variety, so i try to keep my collection pretty varied. i'm starting to reach the point where i definitely don't need any more, but knives with unique attributes still appeal to me. i'm definitely getting the s35vn resilience when it comes out because i love the model, but i don't typically buy more than one of the same thing. next on my list are the ikuchi (for a slim gentleman's carry with a unique opening) and a spydiechef (because i don't own any ti framelocks at all yet).

it's only dumb when you're irresponsible about it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to buy a new knife about every month or so. That was many years ago. In recent years, I’m on a buying spree if I buy one or two a year. The last knife I bought was a Ladybug HB Salt last year.

Are there more knives I’m interested in? You bet. The upcoming C-60 sprint is one example, which will be my first and only sprint knife, IF I can snag one before they all disappear. If I miss out, I won’t be too bothered about it.

There are a few others I’ve been interested in getting, off and on. I find it’s become difficult for me to justify pulling the trigger and purchasing new knives when I already have so many knives (though still not as many as some forum members seem to have). I find if I want a new knife, I tend to keep putting it off, and then later I realize I probably didn’t want it as badly as I thought I did. That happens more often than not. It’s an effective way to resist the lure of impulse buys.

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Why not attach a ladybug to your bike.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 pm

This is the kind of next level enabling I'm here for. Better yet, buy and attach the 20CV GITD Jester to your bike, highly corrosion resistant, glow in the dark, great edge retention. What's not to like? Haha!
So it goes.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:31 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:26 pm

This is the kind of next level enabling I'm here for. Better yet, buy and attach the 20CV GITD Jester to your bike, highly corrosion resistant, glow in the dark, great edge retention. What's not to like? Haha!

Your bike Spydie needs a backup though........ ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kobold

Post by kobold »

My Dragonfly Salt is MIA too, probably in a weedy corner of the garden. Eventually I will dig it up, but until then it is good to know it can't rust.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Buddafucco wrote:
Haha, I'm this way too! I was just looking at the Jester and thinking, geeeez if spend another $40 I'll save $5, so I tossed some compound and new brown rods in the cart, only came to $97...so I emptied the cart haha :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:01 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Haha, I'm this way too! I was just looking at the Jester and thinking, geeeez if spend another $40 I'll save $5, so I tossed some compound and new brown rods in the cart, only came to $97...so I emptied the cart haha :p
You were one Bug lapel pin away from glorious savings! :D
•• Beau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I sometimes still feel the attraction of the concept of having only one single folder for everthing (and realistically quite some Spydies COULD fill that role for me)...
but in reality I am about to break my rule "Only ten Spydies at each point in time" (my Stretch 1 backups already EXcluded anyway...) :o :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Ten is a little low, you know you need a few more. 😎
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:49 am
Ten is a little low, you know you need a few more. 😎
I HAD a lot more over the course of time... :) ... just try to "only" stick to ten at each point in time, in order to being able to really use each one and get not too crazy concerning Spydie- purchases... :o

But it's gettlng harder and harder to decide with which "old" one to part when I want to try a new one...and I DO want to try new ones indeed.. :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I absolutely understand. Too many means you don't get to use each one enough. I want to carry the ones I have, but still have some I want.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Maybe we just have to find more things to cut.