Spyderco Ikuchi info needed.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh1973

Spyderco Ikuchi info needed.

Post by Josh1973 »

I was browsing today on buying a knife. And I really like the looks of the spyderco Ikuchi. Love the crisp clean futuristic styling.
I was just curious about three things concerning the Ikuchi. And figured it would be better to ask among actual spyderco users who own the Ikuchiother than random reviews and YouTube vids before purchasing.

1. I have never tried the Compression lock. Is it pretty reliable for normal edc use?
2. Is the lock fairly easy to disengage with XL sized hands?
3. I see no guard or cut out in the handle. So my most important question is does the handle offer a good grip and feel fairly secure? Even if fingers are wet or sweating?
TomAiello

Re: Spyderco Ikuchi info needed.

Post by TomAiello »

1. The Comp Lock is very reliable for EDC. It's on many of Spyderco's most popular EDC folders (Para 2, Para 3, etc). It's not my favorite lock (it's not ambidextrous and it has no close bias) but it's a solid, reliable lock for sure.

2. Are you asking about the comp lock generally or the Ikuchi lock in particular?

3. I've got nothing on this one. Anyone else?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

1. Yes
2. Idk
3. No
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:05 pm
1. The Comp Lock is very reliable for EDC. It's on many of Spyderco's most popular EDC folders (Para 2, Para 3, etc). It's not my favorite lock (it's not ambidextrous and it has no close bias) but it's a solid, reliable lock for sure.

2. Are you asking about the comp lock generally or the Ikuchi lock in particular?

3. I've got nothing on this one. Anyone else?
I was looking more into the lock on the Ikuchi in general. More along the lines on if it is hard to close for someone with larger hands? Blade play issues? General info. I am probably more concerned with lack of a guard or finger choil cut out in handle. And was wondering about the handle material and how well it allows for grip in humid or wet hands. Or how it feels for those with larger hands.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:09 pm
1. Yes
2. Idk
3. No
Simple and straight to the point. I like that. Question 3 worries me more than the other 2 considering I like keeping my fingers safe.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This is a gentlemans knife, perfect steak knife or letter opener. Will it handle things more than that? Sure. But I wouldn't do it. I had one and sold it. Very beautiful knife but I prefer a more ergonomic handle and a functional spydie hole.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I have an Ikuchi and XL hands. I find the comp lock a pain in the butt in general, and the Ikuchi's is certainly no exception. The handle is reasonably secure for light EDC tasks, but the entire knife is not really suitable for heavy use, so it should be fine in that regard.
Last edited by yablanowitz on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Well as someone who picked up an Ikuchi in the last month or so and really like it, I feel like I should weigh in.

1.) Compression lock is totally reliable for everyday use
2.) Compression lock on the Ikuchi is the most difficult compression lock to disengage because the cutout is smaller than any other compression lock I've tried.
3.) The grip is not a problem at all for an EDC knife. For a work knife, or hard use knife you need to look elsewhere.

The Ikuchi is a great EDC when tape, food, string, paper & light cardboard are your everyday obstacles. Sleek, light, quick deployment & closing, extremely slicy and a very acute tip. I like mine more than I had anticipated.

This thread needs a picture...I wear a Large glove.

Edit to add: For some reason I really like that it would take most non-knife people at least 30 seconds to figure out how to access the blade on the Ikuchi, plus the zippo lighter deployment method is extremely satisfying. LOL!

Oh yeah, ZERO blade play.
So it goes.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I have lrg to xlrg hands. I’m a lefty and I have some pretty bad damage to my right hand. While the cutout for the lock is rather small and is less accessible than on other models, I have no issues using the Ikuchi lock with either hand.
Compression lock is outstanding, secure, reliable, durable and fidgety if that matters to you.
As far as the grip is concerned, due to the handle tapering it’s actually quite secure and I don’t feel like I’m going to slide up on it.
If you haven’t looked at a Smock it’s one to consider as well. Not a whole lot bigger really, blade still sits nice and low in the handle, same materials, and it gives an even more secure grip, even more fun adding a button to the compression lock as well.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have XL hands and I would answer
1. Yes
2. Yes, using my middle finger.
3. Sufficient as a gentleman’s knife
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 pm
I have XL hands
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:42 pm
Well as someone who picked up an Ikuchi in the last month or so and really like it, I feel like I should weigh in.

1.) Compression lock is totally reliable for everyday use
2.) Compression lock on the Ikuchi is the most difficult compression lock to disengage because the cutout is smaller than any other compression lock I've tried.
3.) The grip is not a problem at all for an EDC knife. For a work knife, or hard use knife you need to look elsewhere.

The Ikuchi is a great EDC when tape, food, string, paper & light cardboard are your everyday obstacles. Sleek, light, quick deployment & closing, extremely slicy and a very acute tip. I like mine more than I had anticipated.

This thread needs a picture...I wear a Large glove.

Edit to add: For some reason I really like that it would take most non-knife people at least 30 seconds to figure out how to access the blade on the Ikuchi, plus the zippo lighter deployment method is extremely satisfying. LOL!

Oh yeah, ZERO blade play.
Thanks for the pics. I really like the checker pattern of the handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Since you never tried the comp.lock, you should absolutely do so anyway!
It ended up being not my overall favorite lock type, but it's really cool and an ingenious design that you really should experience imho!
And sure it's reliable and locks up bomb proof solid. Like a linerlock it's a bit more prone to coming open in the pocket than backlock or CBBL, but I would not worry about that.

Only thing: The Ikuchi (keep in mind though: I never even handled one!!) reminds me a bit of the Kapara with its slim handle and small comp. lock cutout.
I ended up selling my Kapara, partly because in harsher condition (wet, cold...) its particular comp.lock was akward and less safe to use than other lock types. In "regular", more "urban" conditions it was fine though and the Ikuchi is probably not meant as a tough outdoor folder anyway...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)