I lost my Chaparral!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

I lost my Chaparral!

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Welp I was on vacation with wife and father up on Lake Huron and lost my Chap. I was taking pictures for the calendar but not even sure if I'll use one of the Chap. It sucks this is the first knife I've lost hopefully the last.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z1r

Re: I lost my Chaparral!

Post by z1r »

Ouch, that sux! Sorry to hear but hope the Vacay was a good one at least!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bummer! :(
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

That sucks. I lost my Benchmade Griptillian my godmother bought me 2 years ago while hammock camping in the woods. I looked a few hours for it and ended up stepping into a large ground hornet nest and got stung 10 good times before running faster than a bolt of lightning. To this day I regret losing that knife. Was a gift after all.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Josh1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:32 pm
That sucks. I lost my Benchmade Griptillian my godmother bought me 2 years ago while hammock camping in the woods. I looked a few hours for it and ended up stepping into a large ground hornet nest and got stung 10 good times before running faster than a bolt of lightning. To this day I regret losing that knife. Was a gift after all.
Oh that's terrible, sorry to hear that.

There's no sentimental value to that particular knife but I would have much rather gave it to someone that wanted it then let some stranger get it.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

z1r wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:31 pm
Ouch, that sux! Sorry to hear but hope the Vacay was a good one at least!
My father is getting up there in age and had MS that's progressing rapidly. We probably won't get too many more years traveling for vacation with him. My wife lost her father just months before I was to meet him the first time. We decided not to waste any time with my dad.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Good man. It's important to take advantage of these opportunities while we can.

Wish I had a spare Chap for you!
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 pm
Josh1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:32 pm
Oh that's terrible, sorry to hear that.

There's no sentimental value to that particular knife but I would have much rather gave it to someone that wanted it then let some stranger get it.
It did suck but I would much rather lose a knife than lose my godmother. I do hope that someone found it before it turned into a rusted junker. But I doubt it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Did you take it out to take pictures of it? If so, that is where you left it, most likely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 pm
Did you take it out to take pictures of it? If so, that is where you left it, most likely.
I didn't loose it till the morning we were heading home. I took pictures of it the day before and had it the next morning before leaving. I went to Walmart and a small road side park but I checked both those places. Now I'm home several hours away so it's gone for good.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm
Welp I was on vacation with wife and father up on Lake Huron and lost my Chap. I was taking pictures for the calendar but not even sure if I'll use one of the Chap. It sucks this is the first knife I've lost hopefully the last.
Really sorry to hear that! :(
I´d hate to use mine [EDIT: LOOSE mine of course... :p ], it is still among the top three most perfectly designed small folders in my book.

I "hope" yours was "just" the FRN Chap? Cheaper to replace and not as unique and"personal" as the maple or raffir noble would be?
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I lost mine once. Found it a week later. It had snagged the pocket clip on some bird netting I had on a tree as I walked by and just hung out there until I walked by again.

I think they CQI’d the clip slots a bit but I have first production. I have to re-tension the clip once in a while as it loses its grip a bit.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm
Don't let this opportunity go to waste. Buy two more knives to replace the lost one--immediately!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Sorry to hear that. Of the 4 spydercos i've lost, the deepest cut was a chinook 2 that got snagged on some clothing in a vintage store, i felt something kind of tug but didn't realize what had happened until too late. The funnest loss was my first spyderco, a native 1, which got dislodged from my pocket in the mosh pit of an outdoor Iggy Pop concert. I lost my knife and almost my life in that same mosh pit, so much crushing of bodies. Good times.
GTenn

Post by GTenn »

I’m sorry for your loss. Any knife I carry has some sentimental value to me because I get attached to them. I’ve only lost one in my lifetime, but I still think about that knife after 15 years. I’m sorry you are going through this.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Don't let this opportunity go to waste. Buy two more knives to replace the lost one--immediately!
That's what I told my wife when I found out. She didn't like that idea too much.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:03 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:00 pm

That's what I told my wife when I found out. She didn't like that idea too much.
That is OK . She will get over it.