K390 Stretch 2: Manix 2 LW killer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

K390 Stretch 2: Manix 2 LW killer?

Post by Doc Dan »

I just got this Straight Spine Stretch light weight K390. It is everything I hoped it would be. The handle has ample room for my big hand. It actually has a little bit more room than the Manix and it does not have as pronounced of a hook on the end. The blades entering is perfect and the blade is actually a little thinner than on the Manix. This is a very slicey knife and it is very smooth in operation. There is no wiggle in the blade in any direction. very nice.

Not only is this a nicer knife for me than the man next to it is also better, far better, than the para military two. The handle fits my hand much better and I like the nice blade shape and I like the lock better.

This knife is a winner. It came from the factory very sharp and one spot on the blade on the flat part was actually sharp enough to cut toilet paper with me holding it. That is holding it in the air. So kudos to Seki. It seems Seki has stepped up their sharpening skills. The 204P Delica that I bought would cut free hanging toilet paper. This is the soft kind, not the John Wayne type of paper.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Re: Manix 2 LW killer?

Post by kobold »

It is not pinned and I prefer a back lock slightly to a CBBL. Good catch.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Matus

Post by Matus »

From all I have read and seen - the k390 lineup from Seki are all 100% winners. Kudos to Spyderco for making that happen in a non-limited production.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Notice the hook on the pommel is not as pronounced and the grip area is actually a frog hair longer. The choil is not as deep, either. Just a great design.

I always call 'em as I see 'em. If a knife has issues, I'll call it out. So, when I say this Stretch is a winner, it is an honest opinion as I see it.

Things I like: The Spydie hole has been softened. The edges of the spine are sharp but have been softened a bit. The FRN has a bit of radius on the back of the handle and the underside grip area. Not only that, but the grip area FRN has been broken so there are no sharp edges. The lockbar and the back spacer are flush, as they should be.

Is it perfect? No. The leading edge of the lock bar was cut in a slight angle, but the person who assembled it cut the back of the blade to match.

This is a great knife...and did I mention it is in K390, my favorite non-stainless steel since Spyderco introduced me to it in the Urban LW.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmm, learned something new today. For some reason I always thought of the Stretch as having a longer handle than a Manix, and even a PM2. Guess I need to start paying attention to specs! Thanks for posting that photo though Doc.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:58 am
Hmm, learned something new today. For some reason I always thought of the Stretch as having a longer handle than a Manix, and even a PM2. Guess I need to start paying attention to specs! Thanks for posting that photo though Doc.
If you look at the photo, and this was what I was trying to catch, the knives are about the same length, but the Stretch has a slight bit more grip area in the way it is designed and because the hook is shallower. The front choil is repositioned for more grip in the handle. So, you do actually get more grip in the same sized package.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z1r

Post by z1r »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:58 am
It's not longer but it is fatter/wider. For that reason I selected the Endela instead. Better fit in my hand but very similar and yes, I love the K390. If the handle fits his hand better, I can see why the OP likes it so. I feel the same about my Endela. It makes you want to find thing just so you can cut them, lol.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Absolutely. I do really enjoy the Manix's blade shape, particularly the dropped point. Two issues with the handle kill it for me:
- The "secondary point" behind the choil
- The "pinky bump"
- Ok, a third issue is all the extra jimping - I sanded that all down on mine.

I guess I just prefer a more neutral handle. I would kill for a Manix which uses a Stretch/Native/Shaman-style handle, with these two features removed.

The Stretch was my first Spyderco, and it's still one of my absolute favorites. If I could only have one knife, there's a good chance it'd be the Stretch. I have a K390 Stretch on pre-order, but man if BHQ isn't taking forever to get ahold of it. That's ok - my knife budget could use a break. Once I get it, I'm planning on throwing some green canvas micarta scales on. Win, win, win.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:27 am
Absolutely. I do really enjoy the Manix's blade shape, particularly the dropped point. Two issues with the handle kill it for me:
- The "secondary point" behind the choil
- The "pinky bump"
- Ok, a third issue is all the extra jimping - I sanded that all down on mine. ...
Right on. These issues bug me too. I've debated sanding down the little scale notches but I'll probably just end up selling my Manix 2. Not being able to disassemble it is another factor.

I haven't handled the Stretch but just from the picture, the handle looks a lot more comfortable. One thing I do prefer about the Manix is the wire clip. I wish more models would use it.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Had to give the Stretch another chance but no, came home from the SFO with another K390 Endela instead. Just works better for me. As does the Manix.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I’ve been checking every day to see when these are going to be available through the SFO online. A little frustrating see it show up all over the place with a “Coming Soon” still on the Spyderco website. Can’t wait to get my hands on one of these. I love my SSS sprint.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno man, the Manix 2 blade shape, at least the part forward of the choil, is possibly my favorite blade shape. It does everything I like from a wharnie while having just enough belly to be more versatile than a true wharnie. Handle wise I like them both a lot, and I do agree that I like the less pronounced pinky hook on the Stretch more than the Manix (I even grind it down on my Manix). Tough call.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I just dont quite like the stretch 2. On paper I should love it, but in hand it always feels a tiny bit off.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

That looks like a nice knife but it would not be a good knife for me because I don't buy lockbacks.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Just the opposite, here. Stretch feels blocky and wrong to me, Manix fits very well.

Glad you found a knife you like, though.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I also prefer the Stretch over the Manix or PM2. Feels better in my hand, and I really like the blade shape, especially the cutting edge. Very useful, and familiar. The lock is my favorite, as well. The SS seems to have clicked with a lot of folks that may not have liked the initial blade shape. I like the Endela as well, the stretch just feels a little better in my hand - especially if tackling a more hard use type project that may also require a delicate touch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This knife is high on my wishlist.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:57 am
This knife is high on my wishlist.
Darby, do you know how sometimes you buy a knife and then you are underwhelmed by it and wish you hadn't? Well, for me, this is not one of those. It has met all of my hopes. I am a very happy camper. The knife even fits my big mitt.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Does anyone have a comparison picture of the handle of this knife compared to the Rockjumper?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

bdblue wrote: That looks like a nice knife but it would not be a good knife for me because I don't buy lockbacks.
No but I do have both the Rockjumper and the Manix 2. The Rockjumper is much more comfortable in my hand. Once I get around to smoothing up the inner scales on my Rockjumper, I think it'll be very comfortable.

Coincidentally, the Rockjumper has better action than most of the other lockbacks I've used. New from the box, it was fairly easy to thumb-flick with no wrist movement. That was a nice surprise.