K390 Stretch 2: Manix 2 LW killer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Manix 2 LW killer?

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm glad you like your knife, doc, but the only thing that can kill the m2lw for me is a m2lw salt with screws.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

chronovore wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:40 pm
bdblue wrote: That looks like a nice knife but it would not be a good knife for me because I don't buy lockbacks.
No but I do have both the Rockjumper and the Manix 2. The Rockjumper is much more comfortable in my hand. Once I get around to smoothing up the inner scales on my Rockjumper, I think it'll be very comfortable.

Coincidentally, the Rockjumper has better action than most of the other lockbacks I've used. New from the box, it was fairly easy to thumb-flick with no wrist movement. That was a nice surprise.
Can you give me a picture of a good comparison shot of the handles together for size? You can go to postimage.org and upload it, then click on hotlink for forums and paste it in this thread.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:47 pm
Can you give me a picture of a good comparison shot of the handles together for size? You can go to postimage.org and upload it, then click on hotlink for forums and paste it in this thread.
Sure. I'm away from home but I'll upload a picture when I can. It might be midweek at the latest.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:21 am

I just got this Straight Spine Stretch light weight K390. It is everything I hoped it would be. The handle has ample room for my big hand. It actually has a little bit more room than the Manix and it does not have as pronounced of a hook on the end. ......
I am with you in that the Stretch (1 and 2) is even more comfortable in hand than the Manix 2 LW. This is especially true when doing "hard" cutting and really having to squeeze the handle (admittedly in a way that I very rarely do with folders). Then the Manix LW gets quite uncomfortable, since the rather sharp top corners of the handle dig into the palm, while the Stretch (1 and 2) remain really comfortable.

And: Though I love the wide leaf shape blade of the Manix, I even prefer the rather rare feature (for Spyderco, except in wharnies)) that the Stretch offers: A long, totally straight section in the edge before the belly

But:
The Stretch 2 can´t be a Manix 2 LW killer for me, since the Manix 2 LW is great for days when I want a really light carry with a full sized handle. The Stretch 2 is pretty much (or even exactly) "pm2-ish" in its weight, the Manix 2 LW noticeable lighter. Actually the Manix 2 LW is one of the best carries I know: The combo of relatively light weight, but rather wide (but still short) closed package make it very stable and "unfloppy" in the pocket.

The Stretch 1 is a different story: Offers the exact same grip area as the Manix (or a hair more, but not really more like the Stretch 2 does), but is a more compact package, is closer in light weight to the Manix 2 LW and offers 10 % more cutting edge...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
chronovore wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:40 pm
bdblue wrote:
No but I do have both the Rockjumper and the Manix 2. The Rockjumper is much more comfortable in my hand. Once I get around to smoothing up the inner scales on my Rockjumper, I think it'll be very comfortable.

Coincidentally, the Rockjumper has better action than most of the other lockbacks I've used. New from the box, it was fairly easy to thumb-flick with no wrist movement. That was a nice surprise.

Perhaps this helps at least a bit already. I don´t have a Stretch 2 (two) anymore, and there is no Manix in the pic, but at least I can offer a comparison of Endela, Stretch 1 (one), Endela and Rock Jumper. The Stretch 1 has pretty much the exact same grip area behind the choil as the Manix 2, if anything even a hair more. So you can see that the Rock Jumper has a really generous handle.

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... Added to my pic and post above (and off topic :o ):
You can also see what I don´t like to much in the Rock Jumper: In the Reveal it was said that one goal with this knife was "to pack as much cutting edge as possible in the handle" - now the Rock Jumper has clearly LESS edge than the Stretch 1, despite ithe Rock Jumper even has a longer handle,plus, unlike to the Stretch 1, offers no finger choil (so the Stretch 1 has choil, shorter closed package, but STILL 10% more cutting edge)... a bit of a missed opportunity imho, though generally the Rock Jumper is a great folder.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z1r wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:36 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:58 am
Hmm, learned something new today. For some reason I always thought of the Stretch as having a longer handle than a Manix, and even a PM2. Guess I need to start paying attention to specs! Thanks for posting that photo though Doc.
It's not longer but it is fatter/wider. For that reason I selected the Endela instead. Better fit in my hand but very similar and yes, I love the K390. If the handle fits his hand better, I can see why the OP likes it so. I feel the same about my Endela. It makes you want to find thing just so you can cut them, lol.
The Stretch 2 handle is overall not fatter/wider than the Manix handle (perhaps even a tad slimmer?).
But both are of course fatter/wider than an Endela handle.

/ Anyway, I am with you on the Endela. Great ergos and great knife (especially in SE) in a rather slim package. And actually pretty light, I think closer to the Manix 2 LW in weight than to Stretch and of course G10 Manix.
Only thing I wished for in the Endela (yes, like in the Rock Jumper, see my post above ;) ) a bit more cutting edge. The handle would offer plenty space for that.
Agreycat

Post by Agreycat »

For those who've been waiting, DLT and DP knives both have the Stretch 2 Straight spine K390 in stock. I got mine last week from the Knife Joker. I like my Manix 2 LWs. I love my Stretch 2s. It won't kill the Manix 2 LW for me. They're 2 different knives. The Stretch 2 SS is more like a PM2 LW with a back lock.
Attachments
Photo_(2021 Jul)_2.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Agreycat wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:53 pm
For those who've been waiting, DLT and DP knives both have the Stretch 2 Straight spine K390 in stock. I got mine last week from the Knife Joker. I like my Manix 2 LWs. I love my Stretch 2s. It won't kill the Manix 2 LW for me. They're 2 different knives. The Stretch 2 SS is more like a PM2 LW with a back lock.
What your pic shows nicely (and most people don't know, perhaps cause it really does not matter too much ;) ):

The straight spine Stretch has a blade that is a bit longer than on the drop point version, and a choil that is a bit shorter overall and in the blade part, which results in more cutting edge for the SS Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:

I even started a thread once with pics about the longer edge of the SS Stretch compared to the "regular" Stretch viewtopic.php?t=85682
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I’m with you Dan. Really digging it. But the Stretch was already one of my all time favorites.

Seki FRN is so much better in hand than the Manix LW FRCP, both in feel and contouring. For me, that difference alone would make the Manix a very different knife (if it was changed).

Also, I guess I learned something new too…John Wayne tp?! Lol. Scott 1-ply, or something rougher? Haha

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

mb1 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:17 am
I’m with you Dan. Really digging it. But the Stretch was already one of my all time favorites.

Seki FRN is so much better in hand than the Manix LW FRCP, both in feel and contouring. For me, that difference alone would make the Manix a very different knife (if it was changed).

Also, I guess I learned something new too…John Wayne tp?! Lol. Scott 1-ply, or something rougher? Haha

John Wayne toilet paper: It is rough, tough, and won't take crap off of anybody.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Agreycat wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:53 pm
One thing this picture shows graphically is how much more grip area the K390 Stretch has than the PM.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Backlock vs CBBL ….CBBL wins !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Doc Dan wrote:
Can you give me a picture of a good comparison shot of the handles together for size? ...
Here is the Rockjumper vs Manix 2 LW:

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

chronovore wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:11 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Can you give me a picture of a good comparison shot of the handles together for size? ...
Here is the Rockjumper vs Manix 2 LW:

Thanks! The grip area is significantly large on the RJ, even though it has a shorter blade. That is a good thing in my opinion.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 pm
Thanks! The grip area is significantly large on the RJ, even though it has a shorter blade. That is a good thing in my opinion.
The blade is longer on the Manix 2 but only if you aren't using the choil. I haven't measured but there isn't a big difference in the length of the cutting edges.

The Rockjumper has a good shape for my usual grip. I ended up rounding the inner scale edges right after I took that picture. Now it feels great! The Rockjumper has taken over as my tip-down EDC, for back-pocket carry when my right pants pocket is occupied. I've got a deep-carry clip from Lynch on the way. I'm going to see how that works out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Rock Jumper really is a game changer IMO, it basically obsoleted every other back lock in similar sizes for me. I do agree with Wartstein in that I wish it squeezed more edge length into that handle, and I wish they'd do away with that last little bit of ricasso nub that sticks out from the handle because that still becomes a snag point when cutting deep materials, but the rest of the design is brilliant and I really hope it's a sign of things to come.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:39 am
The Rock Jumper really is a game changer IMO, it basically obsoleted every other back lock in similar sizes for me. I do agree with Wartstein in that I wish it squeezed more edge length into that handle, and I wish they'd do away with that last little bit of ricasso nub that sticks out from the handle because that still becomes a snag point when cutting deep materials, but the rest of the design is brilliant and I really hope it's a sign of things to come.

Yes, the Rock Jumper is great, but it´s really a bit unfortunate that they did not do what the "Reveal" explicitly had announced: "Squeeze" as much cutting edge in the handle as possible. A bit weird, not only cause there´d be space for that in the handle, but the RockJumper blade is over 3" (3.08) anyway already and the next legal limit would be 3.5" in most cases, right? (And lengthening the blade/edge would make the blade still not 3,5").
I don´t mind this to much in the wharnie RJ, bur for the Leaf Jumper I´d hope for a longer blade (but I guess Sal has already confirmed that this will not be the case).

Said it before: My beloved Stretch 1 has the exact same handle lenth as the Rock Jumper, a choil, and still offers 11mm more of blade, and 9 mm more of edge (this is comparable to the jump from Para 3 to PM2)
benben

Post by benben »

Haven’t bought a knife in a couple of months other than a couple of used exclusive PM2’s from a guys collection, waiting on the Ayoob!

But….I’m wanting to try some K390. So what ya think, an Endela or a SS Stretch? I’m sure I’d really like either one!