K390 Stretch 2: Manix 2 LW killer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Manix 2 LW killer?

Post by mb1 »

Nice pup @kennethsime!

Clips are a personal preference of course, but I appreciate black clips these days. They’re a little more discreet and a little less blingy. I don't mind the eventual wear showing.

So I recently added a Police 4 LW to the K390 quiver. In light of the Stretch being handle length perfection, there is so much wasted real estate on that Police handle! I like the feel in hand better than the square top of the Chief, but man…whole lotta handle there!

I saw Lance mention something like this as well, so it does make the XL sound interesting. But it’s hard to imagine liking or wanting more handle on the Stretch. It must come down to finding a model that feels like it was made for your exact hand size.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I might have to eat some crow in regards to the Stretch 2. In hand it feels like the best Spyderco. I thought I would prefer the Stretch 1 but now I’m not so sure. I think Sal got the updates to the Stretch just about perfect. I thought the choil was too deep. No, feels nice. I like the updated handle and blade. Sometimes you just need to get a knife in the hand.
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:20 am
I might have to eat some crow in regards to the Stretch 2. In hand it feels like the best Spyderco. I thought I would prefer the Stretch 1 but now I’m not so sure. I think Sal got the updates to the Stretch just about perfect. I thought the choil was too deep. No, feels nice. I like the updated handle and blade. Sometimes you just need to get a knife in the hand.
I’ve slowly felt this since day one with my K390 Stretch. I’ve been reluctant to admit it out of the respect to all the other great knives from Spyderco. All the missing spots of the PM2 fill in nicely for me in the Stretch 2. The straight spine screams Spyderco heritage. The lock back is like an old reliable partner amongst a crowd of door kickers, the one who just gets stuff done without flash. The denim blue scales blends right into my jeans. Cuts like a dream with a thinner blade. Still up to hard use, short of prying and batoning. This hits the sweet spot for me of being a knife that invites me to use it hard, having great ergonomics, solid looks, and excellent steel.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree. I never cottoned to the 1 (too small in my hand, or something), but this new straight spine Stretch 2 is pretty good. I keep it next to me all of the time. I do not have any complaints, at all, about this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I have the traditional drop point ZDP-189. Might grab a backup.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:20 am
I might have to eat some crow in regards to the Stretch 2. ...
Doc Dan wrote: I agree. I never cottoned to the 1 (too small in my hand, or something), but this new straight spine Stretch 2 is pretty good....

The Stretch 2 is a great model and blows the PM2 out of the water any day of the week for me (thinner blade, for me better lock, better "edge geometry", roomier handle, better carry, better ergos (chamfered, closed back, no comp.lock cutout hotspot..))

Why do I still prefer and miss the Stretch 1 in the line up?
Because it offers some rare features, that will not be important for most, but I like them:
- A lot of cutting edge (the difference between the "1" and "2" edge is absolutely seen like between a Manix LW and Para 3) in a clearly shorter and a bit lighter package
- A short, shallow choil, which gives me personally more control than the very comfy, deep and wide choil of the "2"

Doc, the Stretch 2 just must be perfect for your big hands (the "1" is a perfect, but tight fit for my L to XL hands) - but actually the Stretch 1 offers the same grip area as Manix or PM2, perhaps even a hair more.

Anyway, universally seen as a knife for all handsizes and looking at what most people seem to like in Spydercos: The Stretch 2 is an improvement indeed, and I hope for more variants.
Perhaps just one with a longer blade... there is quite some space left in the handle for that... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

The Manix 2 LW has a superior pocket clip. That alone is enough reason not to switch.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hopweaver wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:27 am
The Manix 2 LW has a superior pocket clip. That alone is enough reason not to switch.
I dunno, I’m leaning further and further away from wire clips these days. I put a Lynch clip on my Manix 2 LW recently and really enjoy it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I got some more Lynch NW clips in today, and found that I had spare standard Satin clip for my new Stretch. Looks much better now, to my eye. Also happened to have that Manix handy.

While I don’t normally like black clips, I think the Manix would look great with a black clip, on account of the black plastic grips on the CBBL.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The silver clips do look nicer on most Seki models. It looks nice in the Stretch 2 K390. The clip is well positioned on the Stretch 2. I may leave mine tip up. I carry my Endura tip down.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My K390 Stretch arrived today. First K390 and first Stretch 2. I like it!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have been watching this thread and trying to form a response. It’s simple for me, the Manix LW despite the pinned construction has the wire clip, the CBBL lock and a preferable blade shape. That makes it a better knife for me. Nothing wrong with K390 or the backlock, I prefer the blade shape of the non straight spine Stretch but that doesn’t matter in this context to me. The Manix 2 LW is the winner!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer the Stretch 2 (either blade shape) to the Manix 2 LW in pretty much every way. Guess that's why there are a bazillion knife models.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:05 pm
Those are pretty nice. I am interested in seeing how yours turn out, for sure! OD green would be my choice, as well.
Hey Dan,

Just wanted to let you know that I got my Micarta scales in! Mostly good, a few minor gripes. I made a thread about it over in the picture gallery!

Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Ohhh I didnt reliase this was a thread on the Stretch!! More encouragment for me to buy one. (Maybe throw Stretch into the title somewhere for more views.)
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

A7FAA8F1-BEAB-435F-A23E-E9B218EDF12E.jpeg
9697398E-17A0-49E8-8FB0-B40202ACE0B5.jpeg
Here’s a revealing tidbit. I just got my Spy27 flavored Manix 2 last week. Upon reaching into my EDC drawer, my hand hovers over but passes up the new Manix 2 to grab the Stretch 2 SS K390. BTW, the deep Cary clip was an Etsy purchase “brave”.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Seki models have taken over my knife life to the point I really don't care much about the Golden or Taiwan models anymore aside from the upcoming Cru-carta PM2, which will be my only Golden model (I have zero remaining at the moment). I much prefer the Seki FRN to the Golden FRN/FRCP, I love the backlocks of the Seki models, the Boye dents, the jimping, and the action. K390 is also a great steel. I'll take the K390 SS Stretch over the Manix LW or Manix or PM2 or whatever any day. I am REALLY looking forward to the SS Stretch XL.

I'd love to see the regular and/or XL in Micarta and/or G10 with something like Cruwear or maybe AEB-L. The XL with 3V would be pretty amazing as well in G10 or Micarta.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mocean wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Ohhh I didnt reliase this was a thread on the Stretch!! More encouragment for me to buy one. (Maybe throw Stretch into the title somewhere for more views.)
Done!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jason Paul

Re: K390 Stretch 2: Manix 2 LW killer?

Post by Jason Paul »

OK - I just got mine an hour or so ago. First impressions are very positive.

I wanted to try K390, but unfortunately I'm one whose hand doesn't completely agree with the finger bumps on the main-line Seki City models. They're not terrible, but my Endela and Pacific Salt 2 just don't hit my fingers quite right, so the ergonomics are just OK.

So still wanting to try K390 and hearing all the praise about the Stretch (especially the ergonomics) got me interested, and after reading up and watching a few reviews, I went ahead and ordered one. Right away I like the ergonomics quite a bit, and even though it's pretty large, it's not too bad in the pocket.

As far as the Stretch 2 being a Manix 2 LW killer - too early to tell for me of course. I like the Manix quite a bit, but don't carry it often, mostly because it's a little tall in the pocket. The Stretch 2 addresses that, and the ergonomics are pretty close to the Manix. Obviously the Stretch is a bit heavier, but for me that's no issue. I'm curious to see how the two compare when using fairly hard for a solid few minutes straight.

Overall though, the Stretch 2 is looking good right now. Now if I could only find more things to cut...
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
anycal

Re: K390 Stretch 2: Manix 2 LW killer?

Post by anycal »

Still undecided whether I need the K390 Stretch, since I still have the VG10 SS model.

Only because the FRN of the Manix is not my thing, I do prefer the Stretch. That said, I will take Manix G10 over the Stretch. Blade shape, lock, G10, ergonomics, all make the Manix better between the two.
Peter