It's back, with a twin.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbaker345

It's back, with a twin.....

Post by sbaker345 »

If any of you old timers are left, most of you know me for viewtopic.php?t=68484.

Love or hate me for it, after frustration at finding any hard facts about S110v, nor anyone willing to put their theories to the test, I decided as the owner of a wicked edge and therefore the capable of actually resharpening and repairing minor damage in a controlled timely manner. This knife continually blew both mine and several forum member's away with how much abuse it could take. I took a linerless knife in a steel theorized to be the most chip prone knife steel to ever be used and then sharpened it to 30 degrees inclusive which would invite just about steel to chip when abused. As you can see nothing I could throw at this knife had yet to damage either the handle, nor cause severe chipping of the blade itself.

Then finally it happened, perhaps I had moved the thread to blade forums as things continued or simply forgot to document it, but I finally broke it, I took a large chip out of the edge It was either using it to shave pieces off of a piece of aluminum scrap about 3/16 thick or simply pounding it into the knife into the aluminum. I can't remember which, but that finally broke a large enough chip out of the blade to require a full regrind, and also cracked the scales, though the knife seemed to function just fine despite that.

Rather than regrind the blade into something else entirely knowing I'd also cracked the scales, I decided to retire the poor knife, as it survived abuse after abuse beyond what I would've expected of any knife, let alone a knife that people expected would chip if you looked at it wrong.

I never thought to contact warranty for obvious reasons, It'd literally documented it's extremely against warranty abuse on the official forums. I just wrote it off as my little contribution to the knife word. When I moved, I gifted my friend my beloved daily carry PM2, who in the process of overseeing the building and selling houses used it every bit as much as I hoped he would. So much so that he doesn't think it could be sharpened anymore, which I'm trying to convince him to send it in and let them make that decision.

To bring this long winded thread to a close, when I realized how sentimental that chipped up manix was to me, as when I began to become active on the forums and started my knife testing it had marked the end of a very long spell of depression that had me even considering suicide from time to time. So I contacted the warranty department and they simply said to send it in along with my story I did so, even including the link to the thread in the letter placed 25$ they posted as their fee for a regrind though I doubted the chip could be ground out without dramatically changing the blade profile.

2 days ago on my birthday in fact, I receive a package from Spyderco containing this.
20210722_224448.jpg
Yes, they returned my old knife, along aside an identical brand new in box copy of the same knife. I can only assume they assumed as I did, with both scales and blade damage, to completely fix it would require replacing ever major part of the knife anyway, so they sent both a new one back, and the old one back for sentimental value. I specifically wanted them to know the knife had been intentionally abused and asked that they make their decision based on if they thought what I did was of value to Spyderco as a company and the knife community as a whole, and that simply asking for an exception due to sentiment didn't feel right.

As for me, while I'm absolutely going to go out and buy a sharpmaker to keep her touched up, and undoubtedly going to start a collection again. I doubt I'm going to be doing any more testing of knives for a long time unless I get Sal Or Kristi's open or tacit approval on this thread as right now money is very tight and until I can afford to move to a place that has job opportunities for skilled tig welding it'll continue to be too tight to risk destroying knives nor investing in another wicked edge setup. If sal asked me to I'd start testing and repairing knives again on so much as a sharpmaker. But short of that. It'll be a while before you see any of my old style posts.

Lastly. Please don't see this as an opportunity to abuse Spyderco's generosity. I asked their approval before even posting this out of fear that it would encourage people to abuse their knives with no rhyme or reason thinking that no matter what they did Spyderco would replace their knife. Please don't be that guy.

On a more positive note, it was a bit of a dream to be able to contribute my little bit to the knife community and play mythbusters in my small little way. I never expected the positive reactions to any of it, I figured I'd be seen as the guy who would whack lock backs against the table thousands of times until they eventually failed. So I tried to keep my testing as real world as possible, progressing from every day to simulating worst case scenarios, and had money allowed it I never would've stopped.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: It's back, with a twin.....

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, that is pretty good on Spyderco's part. Kudos to them.

I know FRCP is tough. It has been dropped from very high towers without damage and has been tortured pretty good. Still, I am glad your testing bore this out. As for the S110V, I am both surprised and not surprised.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

People who do thorough tests of their knives and share them in such a detailed manner get nothing but love from me.

Kudos to Spyderco for their generosity and to you for being such a stand-up guy (what most likely was the reason for Spyderco to act the way they did in the first place) about how you used the knife and what led to the damage.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I love the S110v Manix FRCP Lightweight! :)
Spyderco really nailed it with the colour of that blue FRCP ;) :D

It holds a working edge forever and it is one of Spyderco's lightweights that truly is far lighter than a G10 version.

It is the only knife that I will carry in the summer time clipped inner waistband while wearing lightweight athletic shorts. It stays put there, I can feel that it is present and it is feels very light on the waistband of my shorts - just heavy enough to know it's there but without any real pull on the waistband.

What an awesome knife ...and a very generous response by Spyderco.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

They really did absolutely nail it, a truly lightweight knife that holds up to abuse above and beyond expected of any pocket knife. I didn't expect it to handle even a fraction of what it did as I saw it as an office knife that would never need sharpening. I was very wrong.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I've spent pretty much all day wishing I could've put some m390, ct204 or 20cp. Reason being is on paper they're superior steels to s110v. Nearly as good edge retention, slightly easier to sharpen, that much I agree with but their touted toughness makes s110v look like brittle glass. I wonder how it would've played out in testing.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for sharing. I've wondered sometimes in debating the merits of various steels we're essentially arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin when in reality the vast majority of us in our modern lives are cutting cardboard. Thanks so much. And as a mental health professional thanks so much for sharing a bit about your struggles and your recovery.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's very generous of Spyderco! :cool:

I remember reading and re-reading that old thread, sbaker345, when I was considering buying S110V. Great stuff! Not many folks are willing to push the extremes, but those that do provide invaluable information to the industry and the community. Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:49 am
That's very generous of Spyderco! :cool:

I remember reading and re-reading that old thread, sbaker345, when I was considering buying S110V. Great stuff! Not many folks are willing to push the extremes, but those that do provide invaluable information to the industry and the community. Thanks!
I ultimately did it because I realized nobody had any true answers yet, it was all speculation, if anyone did experience edge damage could it be mitigated by 40 degree edge angle or even might the damage be due to the heat created from belt sharpening? Most people including me were scared to test their knives and find out what the inevitable staple would do. Ultimately I realized there were a small list of people who could easily restore any edge damage to better than factory, and not only was I one of them, but not all of them even used diamond or other abrasives known to be harder than vanadium carbides.

So ultimately I decided to take one for the team, because until I could trust the knife I couldn't enjoy carrying it anyway. It wasn't until I was seeing consistent results so contrary to my expectations that I knew it wasn't just a fluke that I felt compelled to push it further and further while documenting it for the sake of the knife community and my own curiosity, and as such I brought a couple other knives in as controls, including my beloved Military and PM2, 420HC can go die in a fire though as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, eventually I did enough damage I didn't get to enjoy the knife I worked so hard to prove, at least up until now. But based on the responses I'd been worth it for contributing something of value to the knife community.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like stories with happy endings.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal