A question on Tip up or Tip down Set-ups

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: A question on Tip up or Tip down Set-ups

Post by Cl1ff »

Just like everyone else has said, a matter of personal preference it is. I’m so indifferent that however the knife looks best or slight changes to ergonomics can decide where I’ll place the clip.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Preference.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When I first joined and replaced the Tenacious (tip-up default) that brought me here with my still adored Manix2 (tip-up default), I did feel a need to reverse my first and subsequent PM2s’ clips for tip-up carry. You know, “muscle memory” and all that…

Enter the Military Model. All bets off!

Tip-orientation just isn’t much of a consideration—let alone a disqualifier—for me any longer.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My friend used to carry his pm2 tip down right side as set up from factory, until it opened in his pocket and gave him a nasty gash in his leg. He now carries tip up right side. That way the spine is against the edge of his pocket. If the spine is against the edge of your pocket it is much safer as it can’t really open, and if does it’ll just hang up on your pocket, maybe give you a little poke but nothing like if the blade opens up into your pocket, tip up or down.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am a pocket clip agnostic, but I like a strong detent (eg with a CBBL or a back lock), because there are major blood vessels in the abdomen and thighs... And I pocket carry smaller back locks (Chap, Native) without a clip.

I prefer to carry folders with a weak detent (frame lock, compression lock) in slips or pocket organizers. I made leather slips for my SAKs, Multitools and even Opinels.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10