Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AustinBrown

Manix 2

Post by AustinBrown »

Hey everyone. Im new to this forum. Ive always been blatantly biased towards spyderco( i know other companies make great knives too, i just always have my one brand that im loyal to with all types of gear or products in general) so im kinda stuck in that mindset. For me its the paramilitary 2. Recently I discovered this forum while looking up spyderco's website and it seems like a great community. I am suddenly interested in breaking habit and trying a manix 2. For some reason i am drawn to the design. So, my question is, if there is anyone out there thats used the pm2 and the manix 2, how would you compare them? Btw im looking at lightweight models only, blade steel suggestions also appreciated. Thanks in advance
JRinFL

Re: Manix 2

Post by JRinFL »

Welcome! Your post got moderated, but it just popped up. I'll bump it to the top.

Lots of opinion on the Manix 2 & PM2, so there should be lots of comments soon.
Last edited by JRinFL on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The pm2s handle is more nuetral.
They are both really good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

Welcome!
The Manix is truly ambidextrous and glove (winter) friendly, while the PM2 fits better in a pocket - it is a better EDC if you are a righty.
I have a Manix 2 in S110V and a PM2 in Maxamet and I love them both. If I could have only one I am not too sure what would I pick... OK, probably the Manix 2 in S110V (with blurple G10), because I have three folders in Maxamet, but only two in S110V.

OTOH, I like a Maxamet edge a tiny bit more than an S110V edge.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I love the manix. Very solid, but heavy, platform. Manix2 with rex45 blade is a personal top 5 favorite. Manix lightweight in maxamet is other worldly imho
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have one PM2. I had another and gave it away because, well, I discovered the PM2 was not for me. I have 4 Manix 2's. One backlock, and three lightweights. I like the Manix far more. It has a bias to close and does not depend on a detent to keep it closed. Safer. It fits my hand better.

Just today I got a knife I like better than both of these. The new Straight Spine Stretch in K390. It is just superb. It fits my hand without annoying bumps and hooks and in all sorts of holds. I like the lock better, the steel better, the thinness and sliceyness of the steel, everything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z1r

Post by z1r »

I'm fortunate in that I live very close to the SFO and can handle knives before buying. The M2 is hands down my favorite knife for that blade length. Typically I prefer my LW 20CV model. But recently acquired a G10 in S30V for a very good price and it has become my "hard use" variant. Oddly, the S30V version is too easy too drop shutty. You just pull back the button and the lade falls so freely that it bounces back open, lol. My Rex45 version is perfect in that regard. The LW is just easier to open with the Spydie hole but the way it tends to disappear better in a pocket outweighs any increase in opening/closing effort.

Kobold makes good points.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Welcome to the forum, Austin!

The PM2 fits my hand better, however the Manix 2 (especially the LW model) has a few distinct advantages for an EDC knife:
- Lighter & slimmer in the pocket
- Dropped point is really nice for precision cuts (cardboard, tape, EDC stuff)
- Ambidextrous lock
- Thinner, slicier blade

I stayed away from the Manix for a long time, but picked up a second-hand model in Maxamet because the price was right. I don't regret it, but I'll also note that it's the only Spydie in my collection that I might re-home at some point: just can't fall in love with the handle ergonomics.

If you're looking for a great EDC steel, Spy27 should serve you well, and that cobalt blue is very nice!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

AustinBrown wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 pm
if there is anyone out there thats used the pm2 and the manix 2, how would you compare them? Btw im looking at lightweight models only, blade steel suggestions also appreciated. Thanks in advance
Got 'em both. The PM2 is hands-down the prettier of the two knives. I just like the blade shape and the proportions. But the Manix 2 is what I carry almost every day. I like the extra height to the handle, and the caged ball bearing lock can be operated from either hand under almost all conditions. Mine are Rex45 and Maxamet. If I was to replace either, I'd strongly consider Spy27. I only have a little experience with Spy27, but it's easy to put a nice edge on it, and it's durable.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The only thing I like better in the PM2 is the longer cutting edge. (I still do like the PM2 generally though!)

Other than that the Manix (LW)
- has better ergos (generally and no "hotspotty" comp.lock cutout on the top of the handle)
- a thinner bladestock
- a presumably a bit stouter tip(just an assumption though)
- A more versatile and better/safer usable lock in all conditions
- lighter weight (the LW)
- better carry
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Here’s a liberating tip for newcomers.

The only right answer regarding Spydies is “All good, just different”. You’re welcome.

And, welcome to this Spyderco school that Sal (his quote, above) has gifted us.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
anycal

Post by anycal »

If you like the PM2, chances are you will like the Manix 2.

Ergonomically, it will depend on your hand. They are similar in size, but there are differences when it comes to the handle. There is really no advice one can give you, as everyone is different. You will ultimately have to handle both. I prefer the PM2.

PM2 has thicker stock, but they are very close in thickness behind the edge. With these two, the PM2 is .03mm thicker. I can't tell the difference in majority of my cutting tasks.

I definitely prefer the G10 Manix 2 over the LW. Using them, there is little difference. However closing them one handed, I have dropped the LW few times due to the nature of the lock release and the smoothness of the LW scales resting against my palm, which I assume is the way most here close the Manix 2. I have to pay more attention with the LW when closing.

Peter
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I forgot to say welcome to the forum when I posted. Welcome!
AustinBrown

Post by AustinBrown »

Well, there was a bit of a detour...today during my travels, i stopped at a shop that has a large spyderco collection and while there was only a g10 manix in stock, i still liked the design of it so i will be ordering a lw model. But while i was there i saw a little model called a native in spy27 steel and i realy liked it. So i bought one. It wasnt what i had in mind but it caught my eye, and as soon as i held it i was in love with the ergonomics. It gave me the idea of having a smaller lighter knife for the times i dont need to carry my full sized folder. But, back to the original topic...i have decided to get the lw manix in spy27 steel to compliment my newley acquired native. I travel for work so i will have to wait until i know i will be in one place long enough to have it delivered, but im excited. Also, i have purchased one of the colorado flag paramilitary 2. But it will be delivered to my house so i will not see it for a while. I really wish i knew before that there was so many more options than my base model paramilitary 2. I would have definitely gotten one of the upgraded steel versions long ago. Im probably going to have a whole pile of spydercos in the future now.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Welcome.

Not a common opinion, but I don't care for the Manix 2. Thickboy when closed and I prefer the compression lock. That said, it is very comfortable in the hand, and I see why others recommend it.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I own a pm2 and a manix 2. They are both very good. The manix is a very confidence inspiring knife. It’s a beefy tank of a knife that cuts through everything. It’s like a Jeep. The pm2 is more like a sports car. It’s sexy, sleek and very capable .Both knives are 100% worth owning…. In at least three different steels and colors…
Just one more knife...
z1r

Post by z1r »

Netherend wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:24 pm
I own a pm2 and a manix 2. They are both very good. The manix is a very confidence inspiring knife. It’s a beefy tank of a knife that cuts through everything. It’s like a Jeep. The pm2 is more like a sports car. It’s sexy, sleek and very capable .Both knives are 100% worth owning…. In at least three different steels and colors…
I like this post! ;)
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

I am using both. If I had to choose one...it would be the Manix 2 with G10 and steel liners. It fits my hand the best and I prefer the ball bearing lock over the compression lock. G10 with steel liners all the way!!!

I do not recommend going with a cheap plastic handle.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I own and use both. I consider them somewhat interchangeable. My initial experience with the Manix 2 was with the G10 version which is heavier than the PM2 so I decided that I liked the Manix 2 as a work knife and the PM2 as an EDC knife. The lightweight Manix 2 has changed that somewhat. After seeing people try to take them apart to do blade swaps it was obvious that the LW Manix 2 was a very strong handle. So now my work knife is a Manix 2 LW. If you are happy with the PM2 then there is no reason to change it for a Manix 2, it is "the same just different".

Both knives have been made in a wide variety of steels. There is nothing wrong with S30V or SPY27. If you want something to hold an edge longer and you are equipped for sharpening it then go for the S110V versions. If you are willing to pay aftermarket prices then there are other steel options available, most of them tool steels.

I don't have a problem operating either knife but the PM2 is easier for me. The PM2 offers the choice of tip up or tip down, the Manix 2 is tip up only.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Manix 2 for me though I own both. The Manix with G 10 though not a LW is amazing. The SPY 27 LW is a fantastic value IMO. I find the Manix CBBL lock preferable to operate one handed. The PM 2 is a great design and the compression lock is great too. Either knife in S110 V would be great.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: