More Serrated/Spyderedged Fixed Blades Please!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

More Serrated/Spyderedged Fixed Blades Please!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

For so many years the first fully serrated Spyderco fixed blade model I ever got to own and use has been my oldie/classic TEMPERANCE 1 model. And to this day it's still my favorite Spyderco fixed blade model in SE & PE both. But while working with my "TOOTHY" Temperance 1 model today I just got to thinking how great that knife is with a full set of TEETH.

I've used my SE & PE version of my TEMPERANCE 1 models so many times over the years that I've just really been burning my brain cells wondering why Spyderco doesn't make more of their super great fixed blades in full SE/SPYDEREDGE. I've also wondered and fantasized how great a STREETBEAT or even a SOUTHFORK model would be with TEETH.

My late best friend of many years died with his STREETBEAT on his ankle when we found him deceased. And on more than one occasion "Richard" ( his birth name) asked me why Spyderco wouldn't make the STREETBEAT in full SE. And he brought that up on at least 3 occasions I can remember. His STREETBEAT was his daily EDC>> he had one awesome ankle sheath set up for that blade. I told him on more than one occasion that I also wanted a serrated STREETBEAT just as much as he did.

But I'm not stopping there because so many of Spyderco's fixed blade models would really shine in full SE. And I know that several of you guys have a Spyderco fixed blade model that you wish you could get in full SE. So let's discuss this issue shall we??? :) :cool:
yowzer

Re: More Serrated/Spyderedged Fixed Blades Please!!!

Post by yowzer »

While I'd prefer a PE sprint in 3V or Cruwear for outdoors use (Not that the cast 440C version is lacking in that regard), the Serrata practically demands a serrated version at some point. It's even in the name!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yowzer wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 pm
While I'd prefer a PE sprint in 3V or Cruwear for outdoors use (Not that the cast 440C version is lacking in that regard), the Serrata practically demands a serrated version at some point. It's even in the name!
Yeah!! I've even thought about that myself on more than one occasion. But moreover the design of that model just begs for a serrated version. Also it seems like 440C is not a bad steel for serrated edges.

The Southfork too would be a super aggressive blade in full SE as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I'm in.

I'm also back to carrying my Jumpmaster 2 for work starting today :)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I´m in too :)

First immediate thought and wish: Waterway in SE... Must be an amazing cutter.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I'm all for a serrated streat beat or waterway.....well to be honest, I'm all for any new serrated, plain edge, fixed or folder. The sickness is strong in me lol. Love em all!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well, the more than enuff, or enuff xl, or whatever it is will be an h1 salt fixed blade.
I will be very suprised if they dont offer that in se.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Condolences on the loss of your friend.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:37 am
Condolences on the loss of your friend.
Thank you :)

Richard was an avid Spyderco fan and sort of unusual in that he always preferred his fixed blade STREETBEAT over any folder that I tried to interest him in. But he had his reasons and he sure used his two STREETBEAT models beyond belief. In his memory I would love to see a full SE version of the STREETBEAT.

For you guys who are for seeing new fully serrated fixed blades do you have any models in mind already or are you guys just open to any model that they would offer with TEETH?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Couldn’t agree more with you and your friend!
Ones that come to mind include the Waterway, upcoming Subway Bowie and Enuff knives, as well as the blades already mentioned here.
Personally, I’ve always wanted to try larger fixed blades in SE, so I’ll get really wild and suggest the Province because cpm4v serrations must be a thing.

There’s a lot I could ask for from Spyderco (like everybody else :p), but serrations especially just seem “right” on their knives.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I do distinctly remember that the Spyderco "Warrior" model had serrations on the Spine. But I would have done it completely in the opposite. I would have made the main part of the blade in full SE and had that section of the spine in PE.

Blades with curve like the Warrior model had are great in full SE. And the Pygmy Warrior in full SE would be one that I would just have to own.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm still going to continue to beat the drums for the return of the TEMPERANCE 1 model at some point. I would ideally like to see it return in the Salt Series in both plain edge and Spyderedge in maybe LC200N. That would make for an excellent outdoor type fixed blade that wouldn't cost a guy a lofty house and/or car payment.

It was sort of marketed that way to a degree when it was first introduced back in 2004. To me it was a genius design of Sal Glesser's and I was disappointed that it didn't stay in the main line up any longer than it did.

To me the TEMP 1 is a design that was close to perfection from day one. And in Spyderedge it was like a small chain saw. In plain edge it's still one of my most used knives in my kitchen to this day. And I still take it with me on about every hunting/fishing trip to this day. Yeah it's just that good of a design :cool: :spyder:
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I scored a new Temperance 1 SE this morning from knivesplus thanks to someone in the deals thread. I can’t wait to try the full flat fixed blade with teeth.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I have little use for fixed blades. But the aqua salt has always struck me as a lot of teeth in a practical package.

I don’t know if we really need more… how many SE fixed blades do you guys already own?
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I would be in for some serrated mule team blades. I’ve been using my k390 mule more lately. The blade design is already there, perfect utility blade. It would be a good test bed for different steels with teeth.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

With the Temp1 inbound I’ve already got both Jumpmasters and an Aqua Salt, but all of them are H1 with low sabre/hollow grinds. If we (re: I) NEED anything it’s more steels and nice thin full flat grinds.