Sage 1 Maxamet Feedback Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Sage 1 Maxamet Feedback Thread

Post by archangel »

Seems like there's no thread specifically for the Maxamet Sage 1 yet - at least I could not find one. So here we go...

I'm not crazy about liner locks, but this one works just as good as the one on my Millie, probably cause there's a pretty big cutout in the scale to access the lock. So this is good.

The grey G10 is not spectecular, but that's ok. Another new color for me IIRC, and the G10 itself is as good as ever. Ergos work very well for my medium size hands. Nice steel liners, looking good. Wire clip allows deep carry, which I like alot. All in all, haptics are near perfect!

Blade shape, leaf with a slight thumb ramp and index finger choil, is a Sal classic. Full score. Perfection. Nuff said.

Now, Maxamet and this one's cutting edge. Boy this thing is SHARP!! Might be the sharpest factory edge I have yet experienced. Cut through some thick foil packaging and some fabrics like it's nothing! Right now, this one's my home shorts' EDC.

Me very happy! :) Thanks Sal & thanks Spyderco!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Albertaboyscott

Re: Sage 1 Maxamet Feedback Thread

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Good thread. Thanks for starting it. I've been looking for some feedback on this knife. I've never owned a sage but have been thinking about "another" 50th birthday gift to myself and it keeps grabbing my eye. Cheers
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Haven't used mine a ton yet, but it's an excellent showcase of the Taichung quality. It's as well made as any Spyderco I've owned. The thickness behind the edge is decent at about .020" from the factory. The Sage pattern is one of my favorite Spyderco designs, whatever lock it may have.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Matus

Post by Matus »

My friend likes his a lot - even made custom scales for it :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ6BmoQs2n0/
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I really like mine despite having mixed feelings before receiving (I like the original Sage 1). I have a lot of knives competing for pocket time. So it's had minimal use but fit and finish are as good as can be expected. I haven't taken mine apart but it appears to have a ceramic detent ball. The action is definitely more smooth that my original Sage 1

Previous threads...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88030&p=1467517&hil ... t#p1467517

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87583&p=1451457&hil ... t#p1451457
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
archangel

Post by archangel »

I had searched for 'Maxamet' and scrolled through more than 10 pages, but these two threads were not showing... otherwise I would've bumped one with my feedback. Oh well....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
turttlepockets

Post by turttlepockets »

My Sage 1 Maxamet has dominated my pocket time so far this Spring and Summer. Of all the other dozens of knives that I have including many other Spydies. The The Sage 1 Maxamet beats them overall. I replaced the wire clip with a Lynch Northwest deep carry clip and added a GITD back spacer. Now if some of the manufacturers would produce some aftermarket scales. It could turn out to be the only knife I ever need.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Away from work, this is my most carried and used knife.
kobold

Post by kobold »

This one kicked out the Sage 5 from my collection.
It is the most slicy production Maxamet; with the thinnest stock and the thinnest TBE - about 0.01" less than the PM2 and Para 3.

Since I did a scale swap it enjoys a true gents folder status, and because I prefer the liner lock to the compression lock, it is my most loved medium size Spyderco. I (urban) EDC it about as much as my small PJ Sebenza.

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:12 am
Good thread. Thanks for starting it. I've been looking for some feedback on this knife. I've never owned a sage but have been thinking about "another" 50th birthday gift to myself and it keeps grabbing my eye. Cheers
I have a Sage 2 and I love the ergonomics. The shallow thumb ramp feels much better that some of the steeper variants. I would highly suggest you pick one up.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:48 am
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:12 am
I have a Sage 2 and I love the ergonomics. The shallow thumb ramp feels much better that some of the steeper variants. I would highly suggest you pick one up.
Thanks for the feed back. Yeah it really looks like a nice piece. If I don't spend too much on holidays, one is going to find a place in my collection. Can't resist. :D
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Hopefully the original will be rerun in S30V or XHP. I'm just not interested in Maxamet for a user.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

This one is on the short list. I love my Sage 5. Between its flawlessly smooth operation and excellent ergonomics, it’s one of my all-time favorites.

Once I recover from my recent Manix 2 and Lil Native purchases, there’s a good chance the Maxamet Sage 1 is next.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Great review. The Sage 5 hasn’t really convinced me yet, but in theory I think I’d love it. This thread nudged me one step closer to picking up this particular variation.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Turtlepockets,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I was really glad to see the Sage1 resurrected and picked one up when they dropped. Carried it all week long while camping in Maine. I actually fell in love with the OG Sage1 while on the same trip a decade or so ago and unconsciously brought the Maxamet version this year.

It's such a great design for a do-it-all EDC, and a good excuse for me to give Maxamet another shot. This is my 4th Maxamet user and after revisiting it I still prefer K390 and M4 by a good margin. I just like the edge they take and the way they cut better.

Anyone else hoping the Sage2 returns with K390?!?! Add the CRK ceramic interface and call it the Sage6?!?! :D

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

From all I read Maxamet is cool, but not a steel I personally need.
A plain jane S30V Sage 1 LW/FRN though (so basically a Sage 5 LW but with a linerlock) would be a folder I could not resist, despite being not really into knives that small. The Sage is just such a perfect and beautiful design!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Nobody really needs Maxamet, but it sure is amazing to be able to play with such a fascinating material. And that's kind of the point. Looking forward to the experience of sharpening it, when the time comes, to see where my sharpening skills are, too!

I'm betraying my Maxamet Sage at the moment by carrying a PM2... also in Maxamet :)
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kobold

Post by kobold »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 pm
Anyone else hoping the Sage2 returns with K390?!?! Add the CRK ceramic interface and call it the Sage6?!?! :D

Yeah! I would go for that. Except I'm still not sure if a ceramic interface is a good design/idea.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:11 am
From all I read Maxamet is cool, but not a steel I personally need.
A plain jane S30V Sage 1 LW/FRN though (so basically a Sage 5 LW but with a linerlock) would be a folder I could not resist, despite being not really into knives that small. The Sage is just such a perfect and beautiful design!

I thought you like the Chaparral?