Sage 1 Maxamet Feedback Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sage 1 Maxamet Feedback Thread

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:11 am
From all I read Maxamet is cool, but not a steel I personally need.
A plain jane S30V Sage 1 LW/FRN though (so basically a Sage 5 LW but with a linerlock) would be a folder I could not resist, despite being not really into knives that small. The Sage is just such a perfect and beautiful design!

I thought you like the Chaparral?
I do, and very much so.

What I meant: For me a general, all purpose EDC knife should ideally have Endura size, or especially cutting edge length - Stretch 1 with its longer than a PM2 edge is still ok, shorter edged folders have to have some special feature for me to be "real" EDC folders (like the amazing SE pattern of the Endela, though its edge (a bit shorter than on a PM2) is a bit short already).

So I tend to rather accumulate larger Spydies, since they are more universally useful and get carried frequently.

My small knife needs are perfectly covered with the Salt 2 SE (as an ultralight and extremely capable mountaineering/running option), Delica CE (mainly for sentimental reasons, it is my very first Spyderco, but with its sabre grind and stout tip also a real hard use option) and yes, the Chap FRN
Why the Chap? Well, it just does everything right for a small folder imho. Not such a thick blade as many others, a handle that does everything to maximize grip area on the short available length, slim, but great ergos and as much cutting edge as possible for the size and still offering a good four finger grip.
Plus its extremely solid, bomb proof build.
Sure, a Chap XL would be even better... :rolleyes:

But, as said: I like the Sage design so much that I am close to getting another small folder - the Sage 5 LW for me is the better Para 3, and if it had a linerlock this would push me over the edge and I'd certainly grab one. :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I like the transparent blade.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:09 pm

:clapping-hands Well done!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

jpm2 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:09 pm

Nice! :grin-smiling-eyes
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BearShark44

Post by BearShark44 »

Sage 1 Maxamet - the model and ergos look great, and I think the steel would be fun to try. Does Maxamet with its insane hardness perform better in this slicey thin blade stock vs the Native 5 stocky style? Less likely to chip with thicker bte? Or doesn’t matter- it’s always a light duty slicer? That’d be fine, but I wish it’d come in stonewash finish for the patina rather than satin in the Sage 1. Ahh, with the prices rising in the pst yr or so, it makes it a tough decision.
:bug-white-red :camping MT39P-15V, MT33P-Rex76; Sage1-Maxamet, Endela-K390, Delica4-M390, PM2-K390, PM2-S30v, Dragonfly2-SB, AmbitiousSE-8Cr13MoV; others TBD
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I bought a Maxamet Sage during the BFCM sale last year. Many forumites will have fond memories of that week of crazy discounts. I'm glad I did with the way prices are going...

I've carried it a little bit since then, but not enough to form a solid opinion on the steel yet. This thread makes me want to put more miles on it.

I like the Sage very much and used to carry a Sage 2 regularly for years.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi