Educate me on spyderco knifes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Re: Educate me on spyderco knifes

Post by skeeg11 »

Well said and good advise. Takes me at least four different knives to cover those needs. :p
Freespirit

Post by Freespirit »

Thanks thanks so much. I am giving up on breaking car windows in case of emergency as criteria for a knife.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Freespirit wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 am
Thanks thanks so much. I am giving up on breaking car windows in case of emergency as criteria for a knife.
I always figured if I needed to break a car window a rock, stick, or flat bottom of my shoe would suffice for that task. And be a bit safer in the process also.
Last edited by Josh1973 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

For me the best all around is the PM2, but I consider the Manix 2 to be very close and I like it better for a work knife. This also depends on your size preference and laws in your area, and next your lock preference. Spyderco offers good models in different sizes and different lock styles. For instance if you want a larger knife then there is the Military and the Manix 2 XL. If you prefer lockback then there is the Stretch, Endura and Police. If you are restricted to smaller knives then there is the Delica, PM3 and Native. (And lots of others I haven't named.)
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

Freespirit wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 am
Good call. Dropping criteria can be freeing. Here is another big one: defense.

The reality is that folding knives just aren't great as defensive tools. Sure, there are situations in which they could be helpful or might save your life. However, that's true for almost any defensive tool, from tactical pens to trick belts. To evaluate a potential defensive tool, it has to be considered against the full spectrum of possible defensive encounters. When you do this for folding knives, you run into some of the same reasons that the gun community has largely formed a consensus against carrying on an empty chamber.

Defensive encounters can be quick, chaotic, and messy. Actually getting a folding knife into play involves too many steps, too many failure points, and too many opportunities to hurt yourself; and that's not counting the issue of lock strength versus abrupt angle changes if you do get it into play. If it's the only choice, it's the only choice. However, a decent EDC fixed blade can do a much better job across a wider variety of possible defensive encounters. Of course, if you can carry a defensive firearm, that's the best bet by far for a defensive tool.

Now, as far as cutting seat belts, you might consider a sheepsfoot blade style. Others have discussed serration but that's another topic. Spyderco conveniently puts some options together in their "rescue collection". Check it out here:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/rescue
Freespirit

Post by Freespirit »

I also need a locking, folding knife for keychain. Does spyderco makes one? Also What spyderco knives come with G10 handle?
Holland

Post by Holland »

If you're not a knife nut, I think 99% of the population can get by just fine with only a delica.

Maybe a delica and a dragonfly
20210309_082349_copy_2419x1361.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

I do pretty much all those activities, I’d be happy with an Endura or perhaps Delica for all those tasks , in fact I often do use one . Pretty much any blade will cut a seat belt , something in 30 years of working for the FD, I’ve done maybe six times , and my company covered parts of two expressways as well as surface streets in the city .
Freespirit

Post by Freespirit »

I see endura and delica being sold as light weight models. Do they have regular endura and regular delica models? I am also preferring ones with g10 handles but I do not see g10 handles in most soyderco knives.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t think there is a Spydie that can do all you ask.

A VG10 Stretch and a VG10 Assist, both Seki-City made, would cover your bases, the former for your pocket, the latter for your vehicle, there standing by for various chores wanting serrations even outside the vehicle.

Your hunting activity is what the Stretch was designed for originally; the glass breaker is integrated into the Assist.

Just one suggestion.

Or, just get a serrated H1 Pacific Salt to carry, and keep a purpose-built glass-breaker in your vehicle.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
araneae

Post by araneae »

;) There is no f in Knives.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

araneae wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:10 am
;) There is no f in Knives.
and "i are scientist" is horrible grammar.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C